What do you want to know about Balmoral?

Hi, it's a cabin with balcony (and I'd guess in the new section)....

Let me check and see if that's considered a mini-suite; anyone know if mini's are offered? Tough cause the only sight I got of cabins was sneaking around corridors (I think the stewardesses on decks 9 and 10 thought I was a bit suspicious, LOL).

CSB

CSB: Can you tell us the cabin category shown in the photo of your opening post?:) DW and I are boarding the Balmoral in Miami in 3 weeks.

Thanks, goofer.:D

Thanks, Maureen! I'll add a couple of things. Wine is pretty reasonable -- I brought a wine list home with me so for more specific questions let me know. Lots of choices at the 10 - 15 pound range and yes, you can cork it up and save it for the next day if you don't finish. I am a bit...picky...about wine and was really pleased with the by-the-glass "house" offerings. At 2.80 GBP good value and delicious.

Re the sunbeds -- ridiculous! People reserve them from dawn. I went up at around 8:30 a.m. on our second sea day (deck 7 pool) and ALL WERE TAKEN but no one was in the pool and not many were occupied. It isn't patroled and people aren't discouraged from doing so....

CSB

Hi Netty,

The acupuncture is about £87 a time. I used my on board credit! however, ther is no service charge added.

On casual nights men do not have to wear a tie or jacket.

The trip home took 8 and a half hours to Stansted. We had two meals and a free short drink (e.g. Whisky) and wine with the first meal. The food on Monarch was better than BA. I think you get the same if you fly Thomson.

I don't know the price of drinks except that the Merlot I had at dinner was about £13 a bottle - again with no service charge.

The sauna was not fitted for the first cruise but irt may be now as there were a lot of wortkmen on board!

Someone said there was no Bingo but I am sure I saw it in at least one daily programme. As it sends me to sleep, I never bother with it.

There are quite a few sunbeds but people are inclined to put towels on them early. Be careful if you sunbathe by the engine room as you may get black spots. That area is quieter but it is also the smoking area.

Don't miss the Balmoral singers and dancers and the crew show.

I am booked on the QE2 from New York to Southampton in April but I would love to cruise on Balmoral again. Have a great cruise.

Someone mentioned bringing powdered milk - you are supplied with long life milk in the small pots (not powdered) in the cabins and you can always ask for more.

Maureen

Hi, Chris, yes, Peter's also doing a blog and I told him I'd post his link here if he'll send it to me! We had fun traveling together on Balmoral.

What I heard from passengers was it was touch and go -- it's the first cruise for Fred. Olsen out of Miami, and some folks waited up to three hours in immigration. I was told Fred. Olsen would be working with the airport authorities to improve on that; we'll have to see how the next turnaround goes (Thursday).

Actual check in was a breeze for those of us who weren't on the charters (and who were cranky to begin with having been sequestered at Miami airport for three hours).

CSB

Carolyn,

Will be interested to hear how passengers flying in from the Uk found the immigration proceedure at Miami and how long it took to get through to the coaches. Originally the flights were going to land at Ft.lauderdale, Hollywood airport, but this appears not to be.

Looking forward to your Blog, I see Peter Knego is doing a blog as well, communications permitting.

Bon Voyage

Chris

No, just chairs on the promenade deck so you can walk around just fine. The sunbeds are limited to pool decks on 11 and 7.... One problem though with the sunbeds is that on sea days people get up really early and reserve theirs (with a shoe or paperback). I went up at 9 a.m. one day and there literally wasn't a sunbed left. And ship staffers don't do anything about it....

CSB

PS Check out our brand new news story on P&O's sunbed controversy! It's here: http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=2430

Morning ,all your posts very informative ,re sunbeds ,are they placed on Prom., deck or is the walkway too narrow.:)

Tomorrow I'm also going to wrap up the q&a on this blog. I know I have a few questions to still get to (spa prices for one). Have I missed one of yours? Have you thought of something new? Just back from Balmoral's last trip and have something to say? Please say it today or tomorrow (and please remind me if I haven't answered your question -- remind me of your question, too, LOL).

The thread will be live through Friday so discussion can certainly continue. But I'll be posting my last tomorrow, end of day.

If there's something you want to ask beyond that, please don't hesitate to drop me an email at editor@cruisecritic.com.

And thanks. It's been a great thread so far...appreciate all the insights.

CSB

Dear Ed

Last year we sailed on the Braemar and had a the same problem the ship dealt with it easily by posting a notice in the daily ships paper and verbally advising passengers’ that all beds that where not in use by a person could be cleared of left items and the property left would be deemed as lost property, it worked perfectly for the whole cruise. Perhaps if you went to the reception & ask to speak with the hotel manager they would deal with the matter once and for all.

Thankyou for your useful information, can you please tell me the prices of cartons of cigarettes and Bacardi that you can order from your cabin. I believe they leave a shopping order form for you to fill in then the goods are delivered to you.I travel on the 24th March.

Thank you, Thank you for all your information on this thread. We are first time cruisers sailing on Balmoral on the 14/04/08 - I'm being treated to a Junior Balcony Suite for my 50th Birthday from my beloved husband - I'm now very excited and we are looking forward to this wonderful experience:)

Thanks to those of you who emailed me more questions before we wrap up this thread-blog this week. One reader wanted to know about water quality onboard. They said you could drink the tap but I have to confess that I've gotten so used to being told you CAN'T that I just don't. I think your questions about salinity need to go the cruise line itself, I simply don't know. Sorry about that (if you need a contact there drop me another email).

Marvingr wrote a terrific email and I hope there's no problem with reprinting it here as there were some excellent questions and I'd like to address them. Here goes:

*You still haven't compared this ship with a cruise line that is based primarily in the U.S. My wife and I have cruised extensively on Holland American and Princess and from your posts this March 13th trip may be an experiment in frustration.

Answer: Funny thing is I did just finish From the Bridge, a weekly column I write, and did just that (offer comparisons). I think Balmoral would fit comfortably for anyone who liked the now defunct Orient Lines. Holland America's Prinsendam would be another choice and for the ambience (and what I expect will evolve into the superb service that Fred. Olsen's known for), I'd also include Oceania.

*You mention chairs on the promenade deck. Are they comfortable or just so so?

Answer: Comfortable. They're of the old rubber ribbon variety. Just watch out for sunbed saving….

*Is the food and service palatable, or also ran? Food was excellent, really excellent! Dinners in the main venues were consistently terrific and I liked that on every menu you could have more showy dishes, gourmet fare I guess for a lack of a better term, but then also find options that were home food. I don't know about you but I love "fancy" food sometimes but can't eat it every night for a week. One night, for instance, in the middle of our cruise a simple spaghetti bolognaise was on the menu -- and I had it and it was just right! Lunches in the main venues were also excellent and I like the way you can take some stuff from a buffet stand and order off the menu, too.

I also thought that theme dinners in the Lido were exceptional. Otherwise, I thought the buffet fare in that "traditional" buffet venue was pretty poor in quality and variety. Breakfasts were adequate (you can order hot dishes off a menu or partake of the buffet) and there was something there for every national tradition (yogurt, cereals, omelettes, Weetabix) except perhaps for miso soup for the Japanese!

Service was good at dinner (I got the sense they were short staffed) and good for lunch in the dining room venues and extremely and pathetically poor at breakfast. My gosh, how many times do you have to request toast? Or coffee? Or watch the table next to you get a refill while your empty cup sits forlornly? Silly stuff. Breakfast was definitely a low point (in fact one passenger told me that the crew acts like people aren't there so they'll just go to the buffet and not bother them with menu orders!). On my last day, I was in the Avon and it was pretty crowded. There was a nicely positioned table that had been vacated and had a few dirty dishes still on it (literally, a few) and a passenger wanted to sit there and a waiter insisted she take a table by the kitchen door and she couldn't understand why he didn't just clean up the table. I couldn't either frankly and she persisted and he finally did but why go through that?

*Does the entertainment stir the emotions, or can it be dismissed as old hat?

Answer: There was a huge variety of entertainment in the evenings especially (Fred. Olsen does a lot with daytime enrichment on many cruises but not in the Caribbean). On our cruise, there was a big band component and their various style of shows were hugely popular. I loved the Irish balladeer who played nightly in the Morning Light pub. There's a was a fantastic pianist in the top of the ship bar before and after dinner (torch songs) and there were shows in the main theater. Pretty excellent.

*Do we have to plow through a cigarette smoke haze?

Answer: Not at all at least inside. Smoking is limited to one side of the ship and is prohibited in dining rooms and in cabins. I don't recall it being an issue at all inside. Outside was another story. By the pool, there were a batch of tables that were a pleasant place to sit but every one of 'em had an ashtray on it and I don't like going outside to breathe the salt air and instead sucking down nicotine. Yuck.

Marvingr's other point was this:

With the many fine cruise ships sailing out of the states, Fred Olsen has to offer something exceptional to crack the American market or they are going to wind up like many startups that have withered and sailed away into oblivion.

And it's great question and I'd like to hear from posters who've already come back from Fred. Olsen trips on Balmoral? My position? It's touch and go but I will say that there is an audience of people from North America who want smaller, more respectful and more traditional cruises … so the possibilities for success exist.

Balconies are a premium onboard so that's definitely a treat!!!

CSB

Thank you, Thank you for all your information on this thread. We are first time cruisers sailing on Balmoral on the 14/04/08 - I'm being treated to a Junior Balcony Suite for my 50th Birthday from my beloved husband - I'm now very excited and we are looking forward to this wonderful experience:)

They do give you a form and I apologize but I forgot to get one so can't say. Maybe another Balmoral veteran can chime in here? Thanks for asking....

CSB

Thankyou for your useful information, can you please tell me the prices of cartons of cigarettes and Bacardi that you can order from your cabin. I believe they leave a shopping order form for you to fill in then the goods are delivered to you.I travel on the 24th March.

Though have to confess I did interview the hotel manager (who literally been on board for a few days so was still finding HIS way around. And I asked the question: what needs improving? And aside from saying that crew were still finding their rhythm he was assertive about saying EVERYTHING ELSE IS UP TO SNUFF. And it wasn't. The ship's still in shakedown mode and that's understandable so why not be honest about it? One example: shore excursion department was clearly struggling with the new region....

That's my way of saying that I'm not sure they'd have done anything about it. And one of the weakest points on the ship is the purser's desk. They're just bad. Bad attitude and useless to help in most circumstances. So two areas that do need improvement. But did I enjoy the experience? Absolutely yes, loved the ship, the crew was getting better, and enjoyed the ports of call. Also think the chef does a great job!

CSB

Dear Ed

Last year we sailed on the Braemar and had a the same problem the ship dealt with it easily by posting a notice in the daily ships paper and verbally advising passengers’ that all beds that where not in use by a person could be cleared of left items and the property left would be deemed as lost property, it worked perfectly for the whole cruise. Perhaps if you went to the reception & ask to speak with the hotel manager they would deal with the matter once and for all.

I know I promised photos but was just checking out Peter Knego's own blog (he was on the trip, too) and his photos are so fantastic, why not just encourage you to take a look there (and read his delightful blog while you're in the neighborhood). Go here: http://maritimematters.blogspot.com/2008/02/balmoral-blog-by-peter-knego.html.

Fantastic photos, Peter!!!

CSB

Hi Carolyn

Having read the blog from Peter I did wonder whether you were both on the same cruise. Your comments seemed honest in that you mentioned the good, the bad & the ugly. Peter seemed to find absolutely everything so wonderful. Was he sponsored to write his review? Did you have to pay your own way?

They do give you a form and I apologize but I forgot to get one so can't say. Maybe another Balmoral veteran can chime in here? Thanks for asking....

CSB

Hi,

Flying from stansted to miami on 14th april - 1st may would like to know about duty free's & what we are entitled too.

Many thanks to you all, I love reading the messages. We have got a superior balcony suite, any idea's on what they are like.

Kindest regards

Jacqui :) :p Happy Cruising to all x

Hi, mannoverboard. I'll let Peter address his part but I'll tell you that I was hosted by the cruise line.

Being "hosted", which means you're a guest of the cruise line, is a policy that I have never loved at Cruise Critic but it's one that for us is inescapable. At the same time, and you noticed it, that by no means hold us back from providing info that we think you should know about. As long as we're fair, our critiques have never, ever been an issue with the cruise lines. They know what we do.

CSB

Hi Carolyn

Having read the blog from Peter I did wonder whether you were both on the same cruise. Your comments seemed honest in that you mentioned the good, the bad & the ugly. Peter seemed to find absolutely everything so wonderful. Was he sponsored to write his review? Did you have to pay your own way?

Netty,

It is only on casual nights that men do not need jackets/ties.

Have a great trip.

I am sailing QE2 from NY in April but, at least, it takes me home to Southampton. I shan't like all the service charges after Fred Olsen and having to ask for English bacon rather than get it automatically! Have just bought myself a new evening dress as a present from Fred Olsen with some of the money he returned to us.

Maureen

Archived