car rental

2bornot2b

No, I don't risk it. Although I normally use american express for everything, aside from the fact the place I rent from doesn't accept AmEx (a lot of places in Cancun don't accept it or say they do but when you go to pay the credit card machine magically isn't working that day), in Mexico when you are in an accident they expect cold hard cash for damages, and heaven forbid if someone is hurt. Also, I would speak to more than one AmEx rep to be sure you get the same answer on this matter.

I paid not quite $30 for a day of rental with full coverage. My car was a Nissan Sentra (common there). You also need to specify whether you want an automatic or manual transmission. Automatics are more expensive to rent usually.

I'm by no means a car rental expert, since I only rent for a day here n there over the years and have only used one company. Check out the Cozumel forum for other opinions on this. I know I've read some posts over there about car rental and the insurance provided by credit cards.

Archived