New To HAL & Considering Westerdam to Alaska

CrusinAgain

So much to learn when you go to a whole different cruiseline but we have been wanting to try HAL and we think the Alaska trip would be the ideal time to take a cruise on HAL.

We are wanting to go on an aft balcony on HAL and from what I see in pics on the Westerdam, the back is tiered and the closest to the water is the Upper Promenade deck? I see a couple VB cabins there and as long as they still have a tub and a sofa, we would be happy. They are cabins 4178 and 4183. Trying to figure out from the pics if there is any protection from the weather except on Navigation deck one deck below aft pool that appear to be completely covered. I doubt there would be much noise from the pool for Alaska so that might be considered.

So please start telling me about the Westerdam and HAL in general. We are use to Princess and NCL was a cruise not to be remembered.

I know that HAL has the wonderful beds and nice linens and good food and possibly free icecreme as said on the HAL site, I don't know much.

Thanks much to all that respond and give me advice. Also if there is a huge price difference between the VA and VB aft cabins, is it really worth it to get a VA which would be next deck up and one tier away from the water?

Have sailed on the Westerdam - she is a great ship.

Yes -- there is free ice cream in the Lido.

JMO - but I wouldn't choose an aft cabin - especially if you plan to be out there for glacier viewing. The port side of the side faces the glaciers the longest.

Good info. Thank you. I had always thought I read to get the back to see all 3 sides when the ranger points out things, but if people are going to tell me no, then I best not get one on the aft. Any idea where abouts is the best area to get a portside balcony? We really do not need to worry about movement - we just do not want to be stare down at a lifeboat or be next to a cabin that juts out.

Good info. Thank you. I had always thought I read to get the back to see all 3 sides when the ranger points out things, but if people are going to tell me no, then I best not get one on the aft.
If you have an aft corner suite (SB or SC) you will get a view astern and one side.
... we just do not want to be stare down at a lifeboat
then avoid the deck 5 VE and VF cabins
or be next to a cabin that juts out.
those are pretty easy to avoid, since there's only four per deck. Have you been studying the deck plans? If you need help finding them, please ask again. :)

Personally, even if I have a verandah in AK, I am NOT on my own verandah when viewing glaciers, but up on a top or forward-facing deck where I can move from side to side quickly.

If you have an aft corner suite (SB or SC) you will get a view astern and one side.

then avoid the deck 5 VE and VF cabins

those are pretty easy to avoid, since there's only four per deck. Have you been studying the deck plans? If you need help finding them, please ask again. :)

Personally, even if I have a verandah in AK, I am NOT on my own verandah when viewing glaciers, but up on a top or forward-facing deck where I can move from side to side quickly.

Okay, thank you. I have mostly been studying the aft of the ship until I posted this thread so I haven't studied much of the sides. It just looked like the innie and outie of the Spirit ships of Carnival where we got stuck on an innie and could not see to one side.

There were more than 4 per deck on the Spirit ships because they had 2 jut outs in front and in back.

Our first trip to Alaska was in 94 and we went side to side in Glacier Bay but we did not have a balcony but it was so very cold that I thought this time it would be nice to stay on the balcony so you can go in and out in comfort with hot chocolate and have the ranger on the TV.

Our first trip to Alaska was in 94 and we went side to side in Glacier Bay but we did not have a balcony but it was so very cold that I thought this time it would be nice to stay on the balcony so you can go in and out in comfort with hot chocolate and have the ranger on the TV.
Okay, as KK said, some (most?) Captains tend to keep the port side facing the glacier for a longer period of time. But, on our cruise to Hubbard in '02 the Captain spent almost the entire time with the bow facing the glacier, and the best "warm" view was from the Crow's Nest. People who had verandah cabins near the stern on either side had only a poor view. (There was another ship next to us, facing the same way, so perhaps that was the reason.)

At Margerie glacier in Glacier Bay last Sept the ship sat most of the time with the glacier at the 10:00 to 11:00 position, so once again the people in the Crow's Nest had a good view and those with aft port-side verandahs had a poor view.

Just something to consider. :)

We choose the aft cabins at every opportunity and the two you mention are the largest of them all.

We love the corner SB afts and have had them on our last 3 HAL cruises, including Alaska. We have another booked for Westerdam in June. It is our very favorite location for several reasons, the balcony and views being important. it is also a quiet area as the stern cabins are double occupancy only so we have never been bothered by kids or noise.

We are not bothered by the motion or noise and simply LOVE the balconies for both sunning and shade. We entertain often outside and take as many meals there as possible.

When looking at photos of Westerdam's stern, be aware of the date the photo was taken, because the aft portion of decks 6 through 8 was radically remodelled in May 2007. Since then, the verandas on deck 5 are still very large, but they are pretty much entirely covered by deck 6. So if you are looking for a large aft veranda with cover from the elements, deck 5 would be the best choice. Deck 8 is also mostly covered. Decks 6 and 7 have part cover and part open, so you would not be under a roof standing at the rail. Deck 4 is almost entirely open, so it's perfect for warm weather sunning, but if you are looking for cover, that's not a great choice. The aft corner cabins on all decks have both aft and side balconies, with full cover on the side portion, but they are full suites and therefore much more expensive than the VA and VB cabins at the aft center.

As other posters have said, however, I would not choose the cabin based on the idea that you are going to be doing most of your scenery viewing from your own cabin, because in order to get a full view of the glories around you, it is better to be on a public deck where you can move around. Just get a cabin in a location you like, and plan to go up on the public decks to view the really scenic areas. Even there, you can always duck inside to get warm, and then go back out again.

That said, I do recommend having a veranda for Alaska, because it is fun to be able to go out and look around casually from time to time. When I was in Alaska in 2005, I got up early one morning and went out on the balcony and saw a whale right next to the ship! So I think having a covered balcony is a great idea. As for aft balconies versus side, remember that by definition what is directly behind the ship most of the time will be just water, so side balconies are more likely to be facing scenery at any given time. However, because the captain will decide how to position the ship for glacier viewing based on conditions of weather, tide, and wind at the particular time, I don't think you can predict which side will be better.

Most important: Don't sweat it. What's important is that you are on the ship, not where you are. Westerdam is a wonderful ship, and Alaska is fabulous. You'll have a great time whatever cabin you choose. Enjoy!

When looking at photos of Westerdam's stern, be aware of the date the photo was taken, because the aft portion of decks 6 through 8 was radically remodelled in May 2007. Since then, the verandas on deck 5 are still very large, but they are pretty much entirely covered by deck 6. So if you are looking for a large aft veranda with cover from the elements, deck 5 would be the best choice. Deck 8 is also mostly covered. Decks 6 and 7 have part cover and part open, so you would not be under a roof standing at the rail. Deck 4 is almost entirely open, so it's perfect for warm weather sunning, but if you are looking for cover, that's not a great choice. The aft corner cabins on all decks have both aft and side balconies, with full cover on the side portion, but they are full suites and therefore much more expensive than the VA and VB cabins at the aft center.

As other posters have said, however, I would not choose the cabin based on the idea that you are going to be doing most of your scenery viewing from your own cabin, because in order to get a full view of the glories around you, it is better to be on a public deck where you can move around. Just get a cabin in a location you like, and plan to go up on the public decks to view the really scenic areas. Even there, you can always duck inside to get warm, and then go back out again.

That said, I do recommend having a veranda for Alaska, because it is fun to be able to go out and look around casually from time to time. When I was in Alaska in 2005, I got up early one morning and went out on the balcony and saw a whale right next to the ship! So I think having a covered balcony is a great idea. As for aft balconies versus side, remember that by definition what is directly behind the ship most of the time will be just water, so side balconies are more likely to be facing scenery at any given time. However, because the captain will decide how to position the ship for glacier viewing based on conditions of weather, tide, and wind at the particular time, I don't think you can predict which side will be better.

Most important: Don't sweat it. What's important is that you are on the ship, not where you are. Westerdam is a wonderful ship, and Alaska is fabulous. You'll have a great time whatever cabin you choose. Enjoy!

Thanks so much for that info. I had no idea that the aft had been modified. I am getting such good info from you guys and I thank you very much.

Now I am not sure anymore of the aft. I have always wanted one and thought Alaska would be the place to spend the bucks on it since you can see 3 sides from there. But with that tiering I am not sure if even going up to higher decks on the aft is good to see directly down to the water for the marine life. Lots to think about here.

Okay, as KK said, some (most?) Captains tend to keep the port side facing the glacier for a longer period of time. But, on our cruise to Hubbard in '02 the Captain spent almost the entire time with the bow facing the glacier, and the best "warm" view was from the Crow's Nest. People who had verandah cabins near the stern on either side had only a poor view. (There was another ship next to us, facing the same way, so perhaps that was the reason.)

At Margerie glacier in Glacier Bay last Sept the ship sat most of the time with the glacier at the 10:00 to 11:00 position, so once again the people in the Crow's Nest had a good view and those with aft port-side verandahs had a poor view.

Just something to consider. :)

Aww....had no idea about the Crows Nest. I was use to ships where you had to use the Lido buffet to look out if you needed to get out of the weather which wasn't fair to the patrons who need to eat so we stood. I will check that out on the deck plans.

So what most have been saying is get a side deck and use it for scenery but when it comes to Glacier Bay, use the public areas.

Archived