Sleeping w/ white noise on the ship...bring a fan??

ARTAQ

1st time cruiser here. we leave Friday.

we'll be on Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas.question:

the missus and i have to sleep with some type of background (white) noise. is there a fan in the bathrooms? or a fan on an air conditioner in our room?

if not, what do all you veterans recommend for this?

thanx :D

I'm not a veteran cruiser, but I do travel a lot and always take my White Noise machine. It's about the size of a smoke alarm. I got mine through the internet, but I think they sell White Noise machines at Sharper Image or maybe Sears. I know exactly what you mean about that "background" noise. I cannot sleep without it.

If you plan to bring a fan, please know that there aren't a lot of electrical outlets in the cabin --- one on the desk in the main part of the stateroom, and one in the bath. On most of the ships the power to the bathroom outlet goes off when you turn off the light. So in addition to the fan, bring either an extension cord or power bar.

I always sleep with a fan at night at home, just because I like white noise (and the bit of air movement). I've never felt that I needed this on the ship. But to each his own!

I never leave the balcony door open because it totally screws up the air conditioning. Depending on where you are sailing, you may need the a/c at night!

1st time cruiser here. we leave Friday.

we'll be on Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas.question:

the missus and i have to sleep with some type of background (white) noise. is there a fan in the bathrooms? or a fan on an air conditioner in our room?

if not, what do all you veterans recommend for this?

thanx :D

We have a sound machine from Brookstone. It has several choices for sounds & is very portable...much easier to pack than a fan:D . They are around $50 but worth their weight in gold as far as I'm concerened, as I can't sleep in quiet. Good luck!

Jan

I'm somewhat worried about noise because I don't sleep well even at most hotels. I have to have absolute quiet to sleep. I'm thinking - 7 days without sleep. :o

I have never had an absolutely quiet cabin all the time. Carnival they say the walls are thinner than other cruise lines, dont know its true. Iv been below the treadmills, 3 decks up from the theater and could hear the bass from the orchestra/music until after midnight. If you are in the aft you could hear the thrusters or the front you could hear the anchor. If you are next to a white space, beware its a ice machine or a linen closet with the cabin steward in and out all night, give me a regular cabin to be next any time even if they are a bit noisy.

No cabin will be absolutely quiet. Thats why I like the tv on very low, so I dont hear the little things around me. I live in a apt now and started with neighbors with wind chimes :(

Our cabin on FOTS a few weeks ago was eerily silent. Probably b'c we were on deck 7 near the library-not a hopping loud place, and deck 7 is sandwiched between 6 and 8 which are both all staterooms other than the internet room on 6 which is also not a hopping loud place. There was no exhaust fan in the bathroom and the AC was silent also. We turned off the AC at night and left the balcony door open each and every night. Only one night I was awakened by a loud balcony party and then after that quieted down there were "love sounds" coming from another balcony. LOL! Other than that night the open balcony door provided the perfect white noise to sleep to.

do the staterooms have air conditioners like a hotel does?

most of those have a "fan" option and it just makes noise and re-circulates air.

anyone know if Royal Caribbean has this?

thanx for all the replies, got our crappy white-noise making machine ready to pack, with an extension cord :D

I have only been on 2 cruises and I didn't sleep well at all. We sleep with a humidifier running at home. I would like to bring my very small box fan, but I don't want it confiscated when I board the ship.

I see no reason that it would be confiscated. Luggage space is what I would worry about.

Archived