Anyone Been To Martinique Recently?

Snorkel Dawg

Hey anyone been to (Le Diamant) diamond Beach in Martinique recently? Would appreciate any info at all? Looking for a relaxing day at the beach, snorkrling a bit & sippin a few cocktails...

Thanks!

Hi Dawg:

Not much action on this forum, is there?

I'm not going until November, but my TENTATIVE PLANS are: Taking a $6 Ferry from our port to ANSE-MITAN, where there's a public beach, restaurants and bars. In about 5 minutes, you can walk to ANSE A L'ANE, which apparently is the hotel zone, which is much more quiet.

Beaches are all public, so you can hang out in front of any hotel.

It seems as though the gorgeous beaches are a good hour's drive away, in the St. Anne area. The places nearby, that I've mentioned are just "OK".

You might wish to check out the following sites:

http://www.virtualtourist.com

http://www.fodors.com

http://www.tripadvisor.com

http://www.destination360.com/caribbean/martinique-beaches.php

http://www.travelpod.com/blogs/0/Martinique.html

http://luxuryexperience.com/destinations/north_america/martinique_-_the_caribbean_side.html

Good luck. Keep me updated on what you find, OK?

OH, YEAH.... you might want to pick up a day's worth of EUROS. In December, we were in Guadeloupe, and had a difficult time spending American Dollars. :o

One more, then I quit for the day. ;)

http://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/southern-martinique-mtq-fwi-sm.htm

From this link, you'll see mention of Pointe da Bout, which is located right next to the other areas that I've mentioned. Perhaps THIS is the drop-off for the six dollar ferry? (They all seem to be bunched up together).

Note that everything is listed under TROIS ILETS. (Which has a Sofitel property on it)

Now that I've probably thoroughly confused you, have a pleasant weekend. :p

NNN,

Wow, thanks for all the info! :)

I do have a question concerning the ports we're visiting. I collect Xmas ornaments and our kids want t-shirts. Do you know if there are places near the dock that sell these? We're visiting Grenada, Martinique, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, & Tortola. We usually do excursions and then I find myself running around at the end trying to locate these things. You are a fountain of info, so I thought I'd ask. If I could plan this out in advance, it would make things easier. Thanks! :)

Hello No No,

Thanks for all the info & links regarding Guadaloupe. I've been under the weather a few days now & havn't had time to digest it all. But wanted to say thank you for your time & efforts! We'll be sailing in 3 weeks (Easter) & I will be happy to follow up with our experiences upon our return.

Dawg

NNN,

Wow, thanks for all the info! :)

I do have a question concerning the ports we're visiting. I collect Xmas ornaments and our kids want t-shirts. Do you know if there are places near the dock that sell these? We're visiting Grenada, Martinique, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, & Tortola. We usually do excursions and then I find myself running around at the end trying to locate these things. You are a fountain of info, so I thought I'd ask. If I could plan this out in advance, it would make things easier. Thanks! :)

Hi kiddo! :)

Grenada has a GORGEOUS port. It's like a big shopping mall... probably within a couple of years old. We got some neat t-shirts on our way back to our ship. I would think that chances were pretty good you could find ornaments. Also.... if you're a rum drinker, Mount Gay Rums had a small bar/tent set up as you walk back into the "mall" and your ship. Great prices on rum and cokes! ;)

St. Lucia is one big blur to me.... we were in a hurry to get out of there in order to meet up with our driver for the day. (He had already picked up our t-shirts for us)

Haven't been to the other ports YET.

Hello No No,

Thanks for all the info & links regarding Guadaloupe. I've been under the weather a few days now & havn't had time to digest it all. But wanted to say thank you for your time & efforts! We'll be sailing in 3 weeks (Easter) & I will be happy to follow up with our experiences upon our return.

Dawg

Luckily you've got a few weeks to recuperate, Dawg. Hope you're feeling better soon.

You mistakenly typed "GUADELOUPE" in your post. If that's on your schedule, you can read about our fun times via the AMSTERDAM link in my signature. ;)

Hi kiddo! :)

Grenada has a GORGEOUS port. It's like a big shopping mall... probably within a couple of years old. We got some neat t-shirts on our way back to our ship. I would think that chances were pretty good you could find ornaments. Also.... if you're a rum drinker, Mount Gay Rums had a small bar/tent set up as you walk back into the "mall" and your ship. Great prices on rum and cokes! ;)

St. Lucia is one big blur to me.... we were in a hurry to get out of there in order to meet up with our driver for the day. (He had already picked up our t-shirts for us)

Haven't been to the other ports YET.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! :)

We'll have to hit the rum tent. lol

Luckily you've got a few weeks to recuperate, Dawg. Hope you're feeling better soon.

You mistakenly typed "GUADELOUPE" in your post. If that's on your schedule, you can read about our fun times via the AMSTERDAM link in my signature. ;)

Yo No no,

You are correct, being pretty sick and I must admitt a bit confused about the islands of Guadaloupe and Martinique I got them mixed up. I read your through review of the Amsterdam cruise. You sure have an eye for detail which makes your reviews most interesting. Oh the things you can learn from well seasoned travelers like yourselves! Enjoyed reading your reviews.

One thing I've found is taking zip lock baggies of dog biscuits from home to feed fish while snorkeling. We used to use bread but it does become mushy & ends up becoming kind of nasty. Dog biscuits that can easily be broken up and hand fed to the fish and you don't end up w/a bag full of wet mush. That being said, taking dog biscuits for feeding fish is just having to take yet something else on your cruise! While bread for taking is readily availavle on any cruise ship...just my .02

In Guadaloupe I have my heart set on visiting Cousteau's Underwater Park. When you were there did visiting it not interest you? I gather reading your reviews you & your DH both enjoy snorkeling. Have you heard anything about the place?

Dawg

Good afternoon!

It just so happens that I have a bag of dog biscuits that MY DAWG won't touch. Good idea, baby!

Honestly, I don't remember why we blew off Cousteau's. I just checked my notes from planning that cruise, and had it written down, but no comments. I'm thinking it's a heckuva long way from the port, and was probably big bucks???

Found a new website (to me, anyway) and thought of you:

http://www.smartertravel.com/trip-du-jour/relax-in-martinique-without-paying-fortune.html?id=2500840

There's a link to the Diamant resort that you had mentioned, although I haven't followed it. I'm going to see what they have to say about my other upcoming islands.

BTW: Can you turn me onto anything in ST. KITTS or TORTOLA? (As you've probably learned from our reviews, our idea of heaven is laying on a beach, clear water, snorkeling and drinking beer) :)

Where else are you going?

I wonder what's the difference between Diamant BEACH and Diamant PLAGE? Isn't PLAGE French for "Beach"????

More beach info.....

The French influenced Martinique has so many beautiful beaches you won’t know where to start. Martinique beaches range from white sand to black sand and crowded to secluded coves. No matter your preference, you are sure to find a wonderful beach to enjoy on this rather large Caribbean paradise.

The Beach at Pointe du Bout is home of the many popular Martinique beach hotels. There are several man made beaches here made especially for the Martinique beach hotels resort facilities. Most of the Martinique beach hotels at Point du Bout are the larger chains like Sofitel and Le Meridian. You can find a plethora of activities here and plenty of water sports and nightlife at the Martinique beaches near these hotels.

Another popular Martinique beach that is usually crowded and full of sunbathers is Point de Marin. There are also several cafes nearby to make this an all day beach going experience.

For the exotic black sand Martinique beaches, there is Anse Noire in southern Martinique. This Martinique beach is good for snorkeling. In the morning you will find a lot of fishermen coming ashore so you will want to steer clear of their working men unloading nets.

Other black to grey sand beaches are found at Anse Ceron and Anse Couleuvre. The Martinique beach of Anse Couleuvre is another good spot to snorkel and look at the picturesque views.

One of the more deserted Martinique beaches is Diamant Plage off the southwest corner of the island is less crowded than the northern beaches. This Martinique beach has rough waters, so although it’s a bad spot for swimmers, its beautiful reefs make it a haven for divers and snorkellers.

For the more deserted Martinique beaches, try the southeastern sector. Plage des Salines is one of the more secluded Martinique beaches, and highly regarded by the locals.

All beaches in Martinique are open to the public, but the hotel chains will charge for use of their facilities. You will often see topless sunbathers, although no beaches are really specified as “nudist” beaches.

For a little taste of the French Riviera, try Anse-Mitan. You can see many yachts moored off this Martinique beach. There are many Martinique beach hotels lining the beach, nestled among palm trees. You can also find many seaside cafes offering delicious seafood meals with a taste of Paris.

For the surfer, Anse Tartane is the Martinique beach to be. You can see cliffs near the crystal blue ocean. There is a surf school nearby where the locals are taught to brave the high waves.

For families, try Diamont Beach where a nearby Martinique Beach Hotel Les Salines has calm waters and shaded areas for retreat from the sun. There are food vendors nearby as well as souvenir shops.

There are many Martinique beaches with dive shops nearby, like Anse Marette, where the local dive shop can give you lessons or take the experienced diver for beautiful views of the local fish.

Martinique is a paradise with many beaches to satisfy the tropical paradise lover. The special French influence makes this Caribbean beach heaven a trip worth taking.

No No you kill me! I would think you were going on the cruise we are going on! Love the passion you have for digging into the island info. But sometimes you overload me with info. Mind you, I'm just a simpleton. Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Seriously though, the reason I picked this cruise is because of the opportunity to visit several islands we have not visited & once I found some photos, that set the hook in me. On this cruise we visit St. Kitts, Guadaloupe, Martinique, Barbados, & St. Lucia that's five islands in a week plus sailing from Santo Domingo which just sounds so darn sexy! I mean just say it slowly...S A N T O D O M I N G O!

The airfare to get to our port of departure is rediclously high though. We leave from Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale flight#1, Ft. Laud to San Juan PR flight#2, San Juan to Santo Domingo Dominican Republic flight#3. This was the only way we could get there from here & doing so a day early (just in case). We did pay for RCL's insurance but hopefully don't need it.

I had been reading the St. Kitts forum for the last year or so. I had recieved a lot of info from a gal who was raised there but now lives in Canada. She really talked up the island, certian bars, and a certian taxi driver. Recently ALL her posts have been removed from CC. I do agree she was a daily advertisement for the above mentioned but also was a source of much info. Obviously someone at CC didn't like it.

I decided not to hook up w/the driver she spoke of constantly, why I'm not sure? Something just didn't feel right? Know what I mean?

Anyway I contacted another recomended driver/tour guide in St. Kitts "Royston", at www.roystontours.com he responded to my e-mail in a couple of days. I told him we wanted to visit Turtle Beach where there once was a pretty cool beach bar & wild monkeys would venture into the area. We wanted to see and possibly feed some wild monkeys (espically my children). We also want to chill out on a nice beach, do some snorkeling, eat some local grub and sip a few cold ones. He offered to take care of us, show us all we asked, for the entire day for only $25.00 PP. I thought this extremely reasonable and booked him the next day. We will sight see a bit too & end up on Cockle Shell Beach where there is a very positive reviewed beach bar...Reggae Beach Bar. We also might visit nearby Lion's Beach Bar which has highly recommended "Lion's Punch" & ribs. So that's my St. Kitts plan, will be there in just under three weeks. I would be happy to share our experience on the island as well as my review of the entire trip. Granted I will not be posting each nite as you have. My review might take a few days to a week at home to compile. Bwahhhh

Dawg

Oh yeah one more thing...the pics I've seen from the beach at St. Kitts looking at the nearby island of Nevis are simply amazing. I'll see if I can find them again & will post a link.

But sometimes you overload me with info.

Think of how my poor husband feels.... poor b*stard. *grinning*

I mean just say it slowly...S A N T O D O M I N G O!

You're channeling Ricardo Montalban with his "Corinthian Leather". ;) (dunno...you might be too young to "get that")

Recently ALL her posts have been removed from CC.

I know of who you speak, but I hadn't realized that. I want to say that her name is "Liz". She's got her own forum. Shoot me an email if you don't already have it. She sent me some great pictures. (I am a little leary about her choice in bars and cab driver)

ST. LUCIA: The snorkeling at Jalousie will effing knock your socks off! If you haven't already hired a driver, I URGE YOU to contact my buddy, Spencer Ambrose.

We hit it off so well in December that we're returning next year..... our mutual friend, Levi Baron (Dominica tourguide) is blowing into town for our "reunion tour". :D

I would think you were going on the cruise we are going on!

About eight months and counting, baby! :)

You're awesome for helping us out like that. Hopefully, our paths will cross one day on a cruise. :)

That would be great! :)

(But, don't dare say that on the HAL board..... you'll be in big trouble. ;))

*winking, smiling and sighing*

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I was just on a New Orleans forum "talking" to a gal who just returned from a "3 month sail" in the Caribbean. *drooling at the thought of it*

Martinique's Anse Matin was beautiful.

That's good enuf for me. *or so I think TODAY* ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi NNN,

Thank you very much for your posts. I will be travelling In October to Martinique and St Lucia so I appreciate the information since I have just started to research the ports.

What can you tell me about Spence Ambrose? I like to free wheel it in the ports and avoid the crowded buses.

Thanks again

• 4 months later...
I wonder what's the difference between Diamant BEACH and Diamant PLAGE? Isn't PLAGE French for "Beach"????

More beach info.....

The French influenced Martinique has so many beautiful beaches you won’t know where to start. Martinique beaches range from white sand to black sand and crowded to secluded coves. No matter your preference, you are sure to find a wonderful beach to enjoy on this rather large Caribbean paradise.

The Beach at Pointe du Bout is home of the many popular Martinique beach hotels. There are several man made beaches here made especially for the Martinique beach hotels resort facilities. Most of the Martinique beach hotels at Point du Bout are the larger chains like Sofitel and Le Meridian. You can find a plethora of activities here and plenty of water sports and nightlife at the Martinique beaches near these hotels.

Another popular Martinique beach that is usually crowded and full of sunbathers is Point de Marin. There are also several cafes nearby to make this an all day beach going experience.

For the exotic black sand Martinique beaches, there is Anse Noire in southern Martinique. This Martinique beach is good for snorkeling. In the morning you will find a lot of fishermen coming ashore so you will want to steer clear of their working men unloading nets.

Other black to grey sand beaches are found at Anse Ceron and Anse Couleuvre. The Martinique beach of Anse Couleuvre is another good spot to snorkel and look at the picturesque views.

One of the more deserted Martinique beaches is Diamant Plage off the southwest corner of the island is less crowded than the northern beaches. This Martinique beach has rough waters, so although it’s a bad spot for swimmers, its beautiful reefs make it a haven for divers and snorkellers.

For the more deserted Martinique beaches, try the southeastern sector. Plage des Salines is one of the more secluded Martinique beaches, and highly regarded by the locals.

All beaches in Martinique are open to the public, but the hotel chains will charge for use of their facilities. You will often see topless sunbathers, although no beaches are really specified as “nudist” beaches.

For a little taste of the French Riviera, try Anse-Mitan. You can see many yachts moored off this Martinique beach. There are many Martinique beach hotels lining the beach, nestled among palm trees. You can also find many seaside cafes offering delicious seafood meals with a taste of Paris.

For the surfer, Anse Tartane is the Martinique beach to be. You can see cliffs near the crystal blue ocean. There is a surf school nearby where the locals are taught to brave the high waves.

For families, try Diamont Beach where a nearby Martinique Beach Hotel Les Salines has calm waters and shaded areas for retreat from the sun. There are food vendors nearby as well as souvenir shops.

There are many Martinique beaches with dive shops nearby, like Anse Marette, where the local dive shop can give you lessons or take the experienced diver for beautiful views of the local fish.

Martinique is a paradise with many beaches to satisfy the tropical paradise lover. The special French influence makes this Caribbean beach heaven a trip worth taking.

Thank you for your great information about the island of Martinique. We are cruising there in February 2009, this will be the first time we will be visiting this island. Can you tell me a little more about Anse Matin? It sounds like a nice beach, it does not seem to be too far from Fort du France. Do you know how far it is? Is it on the little island across the channel, where the ferry goes? Do you know if it offers chairs and umbrellas? Also, is it advisable to bring some Euros when visiting Martinique? I had thought so, but my travel mates are not sure.

Any assistance you can offer would be so appreciated, thank you. :)

Archived