Emerald Princess v NCL Jewel - no 2

tinka14

Hi all,

For some reason the text in this post didn't show up on the forum! Never mind.....all I wanted to know was has anyone been on both of these ships? If so which one was better for you?

Some background - want to book a Caribbean cruise next year In March, visiting certain ports of call - these 2 ships give us what we are looking for in those terms, the length of the cruise is also ok. We want the best balcony cabin we can afford as it's for a big birthday!

In my view the Emerald Princess is more classically decorated but doesn't seem to have too many great reviews....the NCL Jewel has better reviews but very loud colours in public and in cabins (I like colour but not too much!) but seems to have much better dining options..which would you for?

Thanks

Tinka14

I've been on the NCL Pearl which is in the same class as the Jewel, and on the Caribbean Princess which is in the same class as the Emerald and while the ships are very different I loved them both. So much so that I'll be on the Jewel next week and the Crown Princess (also in the same class) in May. Have you looked at Freestyle Cruising on NCL? They have many dining rooms with different cuisines and there is no option for traditional seating at dinner and only have optional formal nights. Some people love it and some people hate it but its a very different experience from Princess. I would also say NCL has more of a party atmosphere overall. I recommend making a decision based on which cruise line better fits the experience you you are looking for on your vacation.

Been on the Caribbean Princess, Diamond Princess and about to go on Crown Princhess which are close in comparison to the Emerald. Also went on the NCL Pearl. I will take anytime dining on Princess anyday over the joke of the freestyle dining on NCL. Take the Emerald Princess. She was a new ship and most of the reviews were getting the kinks out of her and getting the crew adjusted like most new ships. You can't go wrong with Princess - their entertainment and daily activities far exceed NCL. But of course if you like meatloaf served in the main dining room and getting up at the crack of dawn to make a reservation for the other restaurants, go for NCL.

Thanks for the replies so far...at the moment I am siding for the Emerald Princess over the Jewel...I have read the Berlitz guide 2008 and there's not really a lot between the scores - also reading the Econoguide to Cruises and there's not much to split them there either! The other plus point with the Emerald is that it calls at a private island which we enjoyed greatly with RC Majesty of the Seas so I think we would like that experience again and I think the Emerald cruise is slightly cheaper than the Jewel....please keep on replying!

Tinka14

Can't comment on NCL. We will be on 10 day Southern Caribbean on 3/25 on the Emerald. Have sailed twice on her sister ship, Crown Princess. It's a beautiful ship. I too enjoy Anytime Dining. Have also dined at the Crown Grill and had a great meal.

We were on the Crown out of New York in September. For about six weeks before the cruise, I read a lot of negative reviews. I was worried since the cruise was to celebrate my 90 year old mother-in-law's birthday. I think the summer sailing out of NY caused a lot of negativity. We had a great cruise. Crew was attentive and all went well.

I'm sure you will have a great time, whichever ship you decide on.

Archived