Age policy re: drinking

jairzinho

My daughter had 2 holes punched in hers and it was actually a slightly different card than mine-mine was plain white and hers had a faint background on the white of what looked like silhouette of kids partying and dancing. Very easy for them to tell at a glance who can and who can't be served. Once you get into port, that's a whole different story, not that I'm encouraging anything.

I'm with the other non Americans... I see no reason why 18-20 year olds should not be allowed to drink when they can go off to war and die.

You know, not to mention that whole thing where 18 is the age of adulthood and legal responsibility.

The drinking age in Quebec, where I live is 18 as it is in some of the other provinces in Canada. The rest of the country is 19. 90% of the world's drinking age is 18 and not 21. In fact statistically the higher age is actually a complete failure as the incidence of drinking and driving is higher in the US than in countries with a lower drinking age and the percentages have been decreasing faster in countries with lower drinking ages.

I would appreciate that you not call all Canadians, Europeans and almost everyone in the Caribbean names because your country's beliefs in how alcohol should be handled is NOT the same as ours.

Boy, a little quick with the insults around here, huh?

In my perspective, 18-19 is old enough to drink, since we'll be in international waters (not breaking U.S. law) and RCCL allowed drinking above 18 years old up until July, 2006.

I wonder what motivated them to raise it? Was it any incident? Or just to seem to be doing something during all the bad press cruises were getting back around that time?

I think emdia43´s post was towards madamcruisequeen and not the OP.

Raising the age limit was because of some incidents with missing persons where most likely alcohol was invlolved.

And actually it seems to be a pretty smart move because the numbers of missing people has drastically decreased since then.

The drinking age in Quebec, where I live is 18 as it is in some of the other provinces in Canada. The rest of the country is 19. 90% of the world's drinking age is 18 and not 21. In fact statistically the higher age is actually a complete failure as the incidence of drinking and driving is higher in the US than in countries with a lower drinking age and the percentages have been decreasing faster in countries with lower drinking ages.

I would appreciate that you not call all Canadians, Europeans and almost everyone in the Caribbean names because your country's beliefs in how alcohol should be handled is NOT the same as ours.

Boy, a little quick with the insults around here, huh?

In my perspective, 18-19 is old enough to drink, since we'll be in international waters (not breaking U.S. law) and RCCL allowed drinking above 18 years old up until July, 2006.

I wonder what motivated them to raise it? Was it any incident? Or just to seem to be doing something during all the bad press cruises were getting back around that time?

Lighten up people I believe that Emdia43 was referring to the idiots in post #6 who is a well known TROLL on this board. They were not referring to the OP or any of the other comments

Lighten up people I believe that Emdia43 was referring to the idiots in post #6 who is a well known TROLL on this board. They were not referring to the OP or any of the other comments

:D Hi Sue,

GMTA, guess we posted at the same time and while we posted the posts in question got deleted by the mods:D

:D Hi Sue,

GMTA, guess we posted at the same time and while we posted the posts in question got deleted by the mods:D

See you read it the same way I did. LOL. Did you sign up for the Butler's tour? It is starting to be real. YIPPEE!!

I was a bit confused since some of the posts didn't make sense and wondered how different countries got into this discussion. Then I saw the troll mentioned.

Anyway, what does any particular country's drinking age have to do with anything? For whatever reason, and there are many guesses, the cruise line sets the age... period.

I was a bit confused since some of the posts didn't make sense and wondered how different countries got into this discussion. Then I saw the troll mentioned.

Anyway, what does any particular country's drinking age have to do with anything? For whatever reason, and there are many guesses, the cruise line sets the age... period.

Someone referred to them giving their 18 and 19 year old adults drinks and wishing that they were served by the cruise line. The respondent to that threw a persona attack, that appearted to me (and others) to call anyone who would allow someone under 21 to drink by a stereotypical condescending term for people from a certain part of the USA.

While I respect that the US has a minimum drinking age of 21, most of the rest of the world doesn't and believes that adults of 18 (or 19) are legally entitled to drink. When travellers from the rest of the world get on the ships, the minimum age of 21 is actually problematic but certainly no reason to be called by derogatory terms.

thankyou Sue- you are correct. Since that post has been deleted others cannot see it in context iin which it was written:)

Someone referred to them giving their 18 and 19 year old adults drinks and wishing that they were served by the cruise line. The respondent to that threw a persona attack, that appearted to me (and others) to call anyone who would allow someone under 21 to drink by a stereotypical condescending term for people from a certain part of the USA.

While I respect that the US has a minimum drinking age of 21, most of the rest of the world doesn't and believes that adults of 18 (or 19) are legally entitled to drink. When travellers from the rest of the world get on the ships, the minimum age of 21 is actually problematic but certainly no reason to be called by derogatory terms.

She was responding to a TROLL

Just look at Madamcruisequeen's post history and you will see that nearly every single one of her posts is an attempt to stir up trouble.

Yes, I've looked at them and you're absolutely correct. Unfortunately, MCQ must fly just under the radar in order not to be banned from the boards. :(

One of my posts was deleted. And I didn't even say anything insulting.

Unfortunately that can happen when a troll becomes involved. I think when the mods are cleaning up a thread, innocent posts are often a casualty of the clean up. Sometimes it just can't be helped. Don't take it personally.:)

Well it looks like I've walked into a bit of a mess with this thread (trolls and all) but I have a question in the same vein as the OPs, and rather than starting a whole new thread, hopefully it can be answered here. I am going to be going a cruise Mid April, and will have at that point been 21 for just over a month (my birthday is right around the corner, how exciting :)). My question is, will just my ship's card (forgive me, I can't keep it straight what it's called, every line has a different name for them) be ok to signify that I am of age, or will I need my license too? I don't feel very comfortable carrying it around the ship all of the time, so I hope not, but I suppose I will do what I have to do.

Thanks in advance for the help :D

Archived