Lee & Mike's Cruise Notebook

ottawapuppy

We booked a great E-1 cabin on the bump of the ship for our Brilliance cruise nex year. We heard on your podcast that the D-1's are so much better. We are debating about switching but it would probably have to be to a garden-variety D-1 (without a larger balcony). Do you think the difference in size in the cabins are a sufficient reason to give up a great balcony, based on your experience with the D-1? Thanks!

We booked a great E-1 cabin on the bump of the ship for our Brilliance cruise nex year. We heard on your podcast that the D-1's are so much better. We are debating about switching but it would probably have to be to a garden-variety D-1 (without a larger balcony). Do you think the difference in size in the cabins are a sufficient reason to give up a great balcony, based on your experience with the D-1? Thanks!

I wouldn't say the D1's are better so much as our "irregular" one was. It had an abnormally large balcony that a regular one would not. You're on the hump, which is central, so I would keep yours. We've had D1 and E1 cabins both and the only real difference between them is that where the E1 has a loveseat, the D1 had a full-sized sofa. This gives a larger sitting area. If that's not so important, I would keep what you have.

Lee (of lee and Mike)

This answers our question precisely. There seems to be so much to do on the Brilliance and in the ports that we will stop second-guessing the cabin once and for all. We are actually now planning an April cruise on Freedom of the Seas to celebrate my sister's 50th birthday. We just couldn't wait until next September to do another cruise (especially since we booked Brilliance eight months ago!) Thanks again for your nice response.

Rick and Cathie

This answers our question precisely. There seems to be so much to do on the Brilliance and in the ports that we will stop second-guessing the cabin once and for all. We are actually now planning an April cruise on Freedom of the Seas to celebrate my sister's 50th birthday. We just couldn't wait until next September to do another cruise (especially since we booked Brilliance eight months ago!) Thanks again for your nice response.

Rick and Cathie

I see that you're a relatively new poster on CC so you may not know that it's customary when someone gives you good advice to give them a cruise. We'll take Brilliance or Freedom, please (doesn't hurt to try!)

I believe that you mentioned Freedom of the Seas in "the Cruisie awards" but I couldn't find other podcasts about that ship. I hope that is no reflection on how much you enjoyed the Freedom-- it sounds like it is a great ship, certainly larger than any we have been on before.

Rick and Cathie

• 3 weeks later...

Lee:

You might want to check out the Celebrity web site for the newest ship on the block, Celebrity Eclipse. They have a free contest there to compete for a free cruise from Dusseldorf to Amsterdam in March 2010. We are "considering" a cruise on that ship sometime in 2011--but we always "consider" a lot more than we "commit." Anyway I thought I would pass along the information.

• 2 weeks later...

Lee:

In an earlier post I mentioned that we will be travelling to Eze next year with Sylvie. Some in the group that may travel with us may have difficulty walking. My wife said she recalled that you might have mentioned that it would be difficult for some who are walking-challenged to get to the restaurant Sylvie took you to. Was that the case? Walking poses absolutely no difficulty for us but I think the people who might be going with us would be interested in the question of whether Eze would represent a challenge for them. Thanks in advance for your memories!

I think Eze would be a great trial and maybe not a great memory for one who is mobility challenged. It is a small and winding village of paths and inclines. We really did see lots of people huffing and puffing and we felt badly for them. I would pose the question to Sylvie if I were you. She knows the area so well and I bet she could tell you a similar town that offers charm, a nice lunch and a great view.

Here are our pictures of Eze:

http://schplinky.smugmug.com/Brilliance-of-the-Seas/French-Riviera/French-Riviera/3646981_YaUrR#208299671_BzeuJ

Thanks, Lee, for the great insights and photos about Eze. Your thoughts match my impressions from watching the Samantha Brown video that included Eze. I have emailed Sylvie with the same questions and I bet she will have much the same thing to say. There is a nearby town, St. Paul de Vence, that some say is more "level," but I am not so sure. Anyway, thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
You guys have a great looking blog, I hope you have an enjoyable cruise and look forward to your trip update. best cooknithesun

Our Carnival Dream was fun despite some crappy weather. Full details to go up on our site within a few days.

Posted the Carnival Capers daily newsletters, some photos and other documentation.

Mike

Wow... Great web site and some great information as well. I am curious as to where you host the web site. I love the set up and style.

I also see you are from the Ottawa area. We are from Southwestern Ontario... Stratford area.

thanks again for your time and efforts.

Wow... Great web site and some great information as well. I am curious as to where you host the web site. I love the set up and style.

Thanks!

The site was created in iWeb on the Mac and is hosted on Apple's Mobile Me service.

iWeb is template driven, so it is very easy to create something that looks nice. You only have to click one button to get the whole site posted to the web.

The are probably a couple hundred pages in the site and it is very easy to manage and update. It is also a lot of fun to work with, which is probably why I still have the interest in keeping the site up to date.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike

We sailed on the Solstice with you and Lee last year, see you are booked on the Oasis in Sept, we sail on her Jan 30, the reviews have been great, we don't have too much longer to wait. Just waited to say HI:)

Hi Mike

We sailed on the Solstice with you and Lee last year, see you are booked on the Oasis in Sept, we sail on her Jan 30, the reviews have been great, we don't have too much longer to wait. Just waited to say HI:)

It is KILLING ME that we have to wait until September for Oasis! (hee-hee)

Nice to hear from you again,

Mike

Mike, Your website is awesome! The podcasts are great. You guys speak so effortlessely, you rarely inerrupt each other, you are intellegent and have nice vocabularies. You are both proper gentelmen. May you have a multitude of adventures! Cruise proud!.......Lew & Moe.........

Mike, Your website is awesome! The podcasts are great. You guys speak so effortlessely, you rarely inerrupt each other, you are intellegent and have nice vocabularies. You are both proper gentelmen. May you have a multitude of adventures! Cruise proud!.......Lew & Moe.........

I would love to take credit for being a gentleman but some of our smooth chatter is the result of good editing. I interrupt Mike all the time! :o

• 3 weeks later...

Mike and Lee:

We are considering a Transatlantic cruise this year on Celebrity. Somewhere I thought I read you were going out of San Juan on a Transatlantic cruise and presumably flying back to Canada from Europe. Have you found the rates on such open-jaw tickets to be affordable or can you suggest a good web site to go to for such one-way or open-jaw fares? Thanks!

Rick and Cathie

Archived