For Those Who Want to Visit Pike Place Market

SeattleCruiselover

Seattlecruiselover......Hey Karen when we return we have a friend coming to get us from Poulsbo. Do you think we should have her pick us up at the port or would it be better if I meet her somewhere else due to the craziness at port? I guess we could ride with Karshrimp and her hubby to their hotel and have her get us there :rolleyes:

I assume that she will be coming in on the Bainbridge Ferry, which docks down on Alaskan Way about 2.5 miles north of Terminal 30, give or take. You could have her meet you at the Starbucks building at 1st Av and Lander, which is about 4-5 blocks from the pier, and there is a big parking lot there where she could park, if Karen and hubby could drop you there?

Thank you! I put it in my notes so I can suggest to her :) She thinks I am crazy :D to plan so far ahead but I like things to go as smoothly as they can. :)

I KNOW you are crazy!! Don't make me bring up the Cozumel story on here!! Lol!! :p

Karen, I guess you can tell Txchelle and I are sailing together on the same cruise in September. Come over to Springhill Suites and see us all! We are both staying there pre-cruise. We'll take you out to dinner for all the help you have given us! :p Naturally, YOU have to tell us the best place to go!

Actually, I have been wondering how to get from the terminal back to the hotel once the cruise is over? Just grab a cab? I could put Michelle in the trunk with the luggage...:D

Michelle: Me, too. Compulsive planner.

Karen: Yes, taxi would be the best to get back downtown, and not outrageously expensive. And as for Michelle and the luggage.....I"ll leave that to the two of you. And perhaps we could work something out for a dinner visit. What kind of food do you really, really like?

Bill is pretty much a meat and potatoes kind of guy. Me, I had lap band surgery last year and can't even eat a whole Happy Meal! :eek: I find I can eat pasta and fish without much trouble though. I guess because they are slippery and slide right thru. I will go wherever everyone wants to go though. I can find something to make do no matter where we end up.

Michelle, you and Joe like what kind of food? How about you Karen?

Joe is the picky one of the two of us. We like Mexican, Italian....some seafood. Hmmmmmmmmmm I guess something easy for us all to get to.

Our plans for Thurs is we will go to the Underground tour, Pikes Place Market......then I guess if we are going out to dinner maybe I will go take a nap LOL

OK Ms Karshrimp I will be quiet as you have told BIG stories already on CruiseCritic about me.....hate to see if you keep teasing me what the story will be. (dancing on the table? LOL)

OH Seattleruiselover...Can we bring you anything from Texas?????

Her cousin is in Dallas. His name is Tony Romo! :eek:

Michelle- I would never make up anything about you! The truth is good enough! Lol! I can't wait til we sail in September and you give me new stuff to post about on CC! :D

Sorry for the thread hijack...(slinking back to my corner now).

O.K., I feel bad about the thread hijack, so I will make it up with a real question...

Karen, by Springhill Suites (downtown), is there any fast food places within walking distance, or will we have to eat all our meals in restaraunts? I am just thinking about post-cruise when we are in Seattle for a couple of days.

O.K., I feel bad about the thread hijack, so I will make it up with a real question...

Karen, by Springhill Suites (downtown), is there any fast food places within walking distance, or will we have to eat all our meals in restaraunts? I am just thinking about post-cruise when we are in Seattle for a couple of days.

There is a Subway right across the street, which is also connected with a fast food type pizza/pasta place. The closest Mickey D's is about a mile or so away at 6th and Virginia. There is a Johnny Rocket's in the Pacific Place Mall at 7th & Pine. Hopefully that will take care of your fast food needs for a couple of days.

And there is a cafe sort of a place in SpringHill, unless they have closed it since I was last there about two years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Seattlecruiselover (Karen).....Karshrimp and I want to know how far the walk is from Spring Hills Suites to Pikes Place Market? Or would we even want to walk? If not what would be your plan to get there?

Seattlecruiselover (Karen).....Karshrimp and I want to know how far the walk is from Spring Hills Suites to Pikes Place Market? Or would we even want to walk? If not what would be your plan to get there?

Michelle: DD and I walk it all the time, and we live about a mile farther away from the Market than SpringHill is. You would have a walk of about 1-1.5 miles. It is downhill to get there. I would go from the Market down to the waterfront by the Ferry Terminal and catch the 66 bus to get back, though, because the hill is a doozie.

Thank you!

Man is it September yet? LOL

I booked my flight yesterday and the shuttle to take us to the hotel too

LOL Now just to save a bit more money and I am set. Ooops need to pack some clothes too ;-)

Michelle: DD and I walk it all the time, and we live about a mile farther away from the Market than SpringHill is. You would have a walk of about 1-1.5 miles. It is downhill to get there. I would go from the Market down to the waterfront by the Ferry Terminal and catch the 66 bus to get back, though, because the hill is a doozie.

Thank you!

Man is it September yet? LOL

I booked my flight yesterday and the shuttle to take us to the hotel too

LOL Now just to save a bit more money and I am set. Ooops need to pack some clothes too ;-)

It's almost exactly six months away for you (tomorrow) and only a week more than that for us. Wish it would hurry up and get here.

Karen... You have given out such great info on this site. Perhaps you have answered this question before, but here goes anyway...

My husband and I will be stopping in Seattle on a cruise and really only want to go to the Space Needle and Pikes Place Market. He can not walk distances and uses a cane. Can we pick up a cab easily at the pier to take us to the Space Needle and then to the Market and back to the ship? We are on X. What would you estimate the cost of the cab to be? Thanks in advance for your help.

Your posts (here and on the PVSA Board, et al) are informative and so very friendly.

If I may add a suggestion, especially for those of us from the Midwest for whom a hill is a stange sight), a visit to the UW campus from where you can view Mt. Rainier in all its incredible magnificence is a fantastic experience if you're unable to get up in the Space Needle. I'm not too comfortable with heights, but I sure love to look at Mt. Rainier!

Your posts (here and on the PVSA Board, et al) are informative and so very friendly.

If I may add a suggestion, especially for those of us from the Midwest for whom a hill is a stange sight), a visit to the UW campus from where you can view Mt. Rainier in all its incredible magnificence is a fantastic experience if you're unable to get up in the Space Needle. I'm not too comfortable with heights, but I sure love to look at Mt. Rainier!

You are so right. Of course, the main problem is that 90% of the year you can't see Mt. Rainier for the clouds, even when you are close to her.

• 2 months later...

Hi Karen,

Great of you to take the time to answer the Seattle questions! I have a couple.

We are booked at the Moore and notice it has no AC. Will that be a problem for August 1 & 2? We're thinking taxi from Seatak and to the pier, planning a walk to Pikes Place and the aquarium - will the uphill return be steep? Is Seattle Center also walkable?

Thanks!

Julie

Hi Karen,

Great of you to take the time to answer the Seattle questions! I have a couple.

We are booked at the Moore and notice it has no AC. Will that be a problem for August 1 & 2? We're thinking taxi from Seatak and to the pier, planning a walk to Pikes Place and the aquarium - will the uphill return be steep? Is Seattle Center also walkable?

Thanks!

Julie

Julie: Could very well be. If we are going to have 80 and 90 degree days, August is when it will be. The Moore is an ancient brick building, so I imagine that it holds the heat quite a bit, too. The Market and the Aquarium are an easy walk downhill, back up a little less so, but still do-able if you use the elevator in the Market parking garage to get up from the waterfront to the Market on the way back to 2nd Av and the Moore.

Seattle Center is quite walkable if you walk down 5th Av both ways. It is about 1.5 miles.

Thanks Karen!

We made a priceline bid for a 4 star downtown and got the Westin for $137. A little highter $ than the Moore, but thought it best to not chance the heat. I don't function well with high temps and no AC.

Also - thanks for the tip about the elevator in the Market parking garage!

Julie

Thanks Karen!

We made a priceline bid for a 4 star downtown and got the Westin for $137. A little highter $ than the Moore, but thought it best to not chance the heat. I don't function well with high temps and no AC.

Also - thanks for the tip about the elevator in the Market parking garage!

Julie

Me either. :eek:

You're welcome.

Archived