French Balconies

Shawski

I'm trying to compare cabins on some of the river cruise ships. Some say that they have a French balcony, while others say they have sliding glass doors. I know the French balcony is not a balcony at all, but rather a sliding glass door. So, when the cabin is described as having a "sliding glass door" is that any different from a French balcony?:confused: :confused:

Thanks

You can sit on the small balcony on GCT's River Concerto, but don't plan a large party! You'll have two chairs and a small table- and that seems to fill up most of the balcony. Also, on many river ships, having a balcony means that your cabin is slightly smaller (not as deep) than those cabins without a balcony (the ships can only be a certain width LOL). The square footage of the balcony is calculated in the total square footage for the cabin. Check your deck plans to make sure you really want a balcony. Most river/canal ships have ample viewing areas elsewhere- either lounges with large (floor to ceiling) windows and/or an upper deck for viewing both sides of the river at once.

Dh and I cruised on the Avalon Tranquility,Budapest to Amsterdam last summer which had the "French Balcony". The sliding door did open both ways but of course when you open 1 side you will close the other so what does it matter.It was absolutely wonderful to lay in bed while falling asleep and watching the world glide by, magical!!We really enjoyed the French Balcony in the early morning or late at night which was just about the only time we were in the cabin.The remainder of the time we enjoyed the view from the lounge,sundeck or the open air space in front of the lounge when the sundeck was closed due to low bridges.I wanted to see both sides of the river and you cannot do that from your cabin.The sundeck is closed the whole time you are cruising the Main/Danube Canal except while in port which was disapointing but we were always able to find a place in front of the lounge to enjoy the view.

For new river cruises: I recommend that you not consider the type (or even existence) of a balcony as the deciding factor in choosing a ship or a cruiseline. You will spend very little time in your cabin. Most of your "free time" for sitting on your balcony will be late at night while the ship is cruising to the next location.

Each morning, you'll be docked at a new town. Shortly after breakfast, you'll do the morning tour (either on foot or by bus). If it's a half-day tour, you might come back for lunch, but you'll probably head off shortly thereafter for either an optional tour or some more touring on your own. Then back to the cabin to quickly change to return to the lounge for cocktails while you listen to the PD's describe the next day's itinerary. Then dinner and after dinner you'll have evening entertainment. Whew!

On the very few "sea days" (LOL), the scenery will be interesting on both sides of the river- so you'll probably prefer sitting up top on the sun deck or in the lounge (with floor to ceiling windows on both sides).

If you prefer to keep to yourself (or are honeymooners), get a balcony. Otherwise, don't choose a ship by the type of balcony- use the itinerary, price, other amenities, etc.

We may be traveling in France on a new Avalon ship in the fall. I'm wondering, is the "French Balcony" a standard option in all rooms ... or is this an upgrade from a lower class?

On the Avalon Tranquility the French Balcony was on the cabins on the top 2 decks.

I very interested in the ship you will be sailing on, The "Scenery" is new this year and I think that cruise in France will be our next destination in 2009. I look forward to your review.The Avalon pictures and brochure I have of the Scenery show the French Balconey on the Sapphire and Royal decks which are the top 2 decks.

For new river cruises: I recommend that you not consider the type (or even existence) of a balcony as the deciding factor in choosing a ship or a cruiseline. You will spend very little time in your cabin. Most of your "free time" for sitting on your balcony will be late at night while the ship is cruising to the next location.

In our case, I am certain we will spend enough time in our cabin to warrant one of the two types of balconies, plus we might see something out our window to photograph and won't want to do that through glass. Even a good-sized window, if it opens, would probably be OK.

I recall reading DrFUN's comments regarding the new Vantage River Discovery. She mentioned how hit or miss the A/C control was in the cabins, with some cabins being very hot and couldn't be cooled enough, while others were freezing. If we have a window or sliding door that opens, we could at least get some "fresh" air, and hopefully, a breeze.

In our case, we have very little interest in doing tours with large (20-40) groups of people. We can manage very well on our own, so we won't be rushing out of the cabin in the morning only to return many hours later, unless we choose to do that, at our option.

Several people have mentioned how infrequently they were able to use the "SUN" deck on their cruises, so I don't think we can count on that for fresh air, either.

• 2 months later...
I'm trying to compare cabins on some of the river cruise ships. Some say that they have a French balcony, while others say they have sliding glass doors. I know the French balcony is not a balcony at all, but rather a sliding glass door. So, when the cabin is described as having a "sliding glass door" is that any different from a French balcony?:confused: :confused:

Thanks

we just booked on the viking legend..we have french balconies..looks like you can take a step out on it:eek: not much more:rolleyes: its our first river cruise..so we will try it!

Dean

here is the thing with ship cabins.....i know you use it to sleep and wash up in..however...the more perks of a cabin the nicer the experience is...at least thats my view.;)

here is the thing with ship cabins.....i know you use it to sleep and wash up in..however...the more perks of a cabin the nicer the experience is...at least thats my view.;)

ddean,

I agree with you. Our experience with Viking River (V Century Sun) was excellent. A relatively new ship, we found the cabin size quite adequate, the french doors perfect for fresh air and picture taking, the lavatory and shower larger and better lighted than on ocean cruising vessels. The storage, drawer and closet space - beds, linens, soaps, etc. were as good or better than you would find in quality hotels. ie: Personal amenities (slippers, robes, combs, shoe shine kit, umbrella - better than expected!!

Obviously, I cannot comment on the yet to be completed Legend, but if Viking River keeps up the same level of attention to comfort and detail as we experienced on their newer China ship, they will be rewarded by satisfied cruisers becoming repeat customers as we now are.

Watch the web as you get closer to sail date, as I'm sure you will find complete descriptions and images (and reviews) once the ship is launched.

Jerry

Archived