Should I Rebook to Save Money?

gargoyle999

I currently have a cruise booked directly through the Carnival website for a Cat. 11 cabin. I have a quote from an internet agency for a Cat 11 on the same cruise that would save me $385. But I have an aft wrap and really do not want to lose it (there are no more currently available).

So I'm wondering if I make a new booking through the internet agency, will I be able to access this booking via the Carnival site and modify it like I can with the booking I made directly with Carnival's website? Currently, I can go into my booking and change to another available cabin and just save it.

I was thinking I could make the new booking then go to Carnival site and change my original cabin to open up my aft wrap and change the new booking back to the aft wrap all within a few seconds. Then cancel the booking done directly with Carnival.

Does that have a chance of working? If you have booked through a TA or internet agency can you modify your booking on the Carnival website to change to another available cabin like you can if you book directly with Carnival?

I currently have a cruise booked directly through the Carnival website for a Cat. 11 cabin. I have a quote from an internet agency for a Cat 11 on the same cruise that would save me $385. But I have an aft wrap and really do not want to lose it (there are no more currently available).

So I'm wondering if I make a new booking through the internet agency, will I be able to access this booking via the Carnival site and modify it like I can with the booking I made directly with Carnival's website? Currently, I can go into my booking and change to another available cabin and just save it.

I was thinking I could make the new booking then go to Carnival site and change my original cabin to open up my aft wrap and change the new booking back to the aft wrap all within a few seconds. Then cancel the booking done directly with Carnival.

Does that have a chance of working? If you have booked through a TA or internet agency can you modify your booking on the Carnival website to change to another available cabin like you can if you book directly with Carnival?

gargoyle999,

You don't have to do any of those things. Just find out the particulars of the agency you wish to transfer the booking to and call Carnival and tell them you want to transfer the booking. :)

Contact the TA and ask them if you can transfer your booking to them and if they will honor the lower price they have advertised. You will just need to provide your booking number to them and they should take care of everything with the transfer.

I know if the past I've booked a cruise directly thru another cruise line and just contacted my TA with the booking number and then she handled things from there.

I currently have a cruise booked directly through the Carnival website for a Cat. 11 cabin. I have a quote from an internet agency for a Cat 11 on the same cruise that would save me $385. But I have an aft wrap and really do not want to lose it (there are no more currently available)...

transfer the booking. you can keep your cabin. :)

You could call Carnival - after checking to make sure the price you're being quoted is the FULL price - cabin, taxes, port charges (i know they're not port charges, but you know what I mean), fuel surcharge etc... call Carnival (800) CARNIVA(L) and see if they will honor the price reduction. We got a $400 OBC from our PVP b/c I found an online TA offering a lower price. Good Luck - and be NICE:D more flys with honey and all that.

caveat: make sure that price is the price for a cabin assignment, and not a guaranty. (that is a lot of money, that savings)

if it is, get the online booking agent on the phone and have them conference in ccl to handle the transfer.

Thank you all VERY much for the suggestions! I really do not want to lose that aft wrap. It should be cabin for cabin as Carnival didn't list the Cat 11 as a guaranty option on that cruise.

That is a lot of money, enough for one airfare and a nice dinner! If it were $200 I'd probably just not mess with it since I picked the specific cabin I wanted after a lot of research on this site. But almost $400 is too much to not try and save! Thank you all again!

I did as everyone suggested. Contacted the agent from the online agency, no problem to give the quoted price on the transfer. Called Carnival, told they don't do price match but no issue to transfer the booking. Carnival said they don't price match because everything should be the same, but if the travel agency wants to reduce their take on the commission that is up to them. There must be some serious commission then if the agency is still making money after my price reduction!

Had to setup a pin since I didn't have one due to booking being done originally on the Carnival site. Gave the cruise consultant from the online agency the pin and my booking number and he took care of contacting Carnival and getting it transferred. I was/am? a little leery dealing with an online agency but couldn't pass up the lower price.

I'm saving $385 and no issue keeping my specific cabin (had the guy double check!). Pays to checkout the sites where CRUISE agencies COMPETE for your business! :D

I'm saving $385 and no issue keeping my specific cabin (had the guy double check!). Pays to checkout the sites where CRUISE agencies COMPETE for your business! :D

Did you check:

The person's reputation?

Do they charge booking fees?

Do they charge change fees?

Do they charge cancellation fees?

What's their customer service like?

Do they have good product knowledge?

These are some things that might come to bite you in the a#$ later if you don't do your homework. If you research these boards, you will find PLENTY of horror stories of people that were moved to book their cruise somewhere because of a lower price, only to find out that they got screwed royally when they needed assistance or wanted to make changes.

At this point in time you won't be able to call Carnival for anything else. Everything will have to be handled through the online travel agency...

Did you check:

The person's reputation?

These are some things that might come to bite you in the a#$ later if you don't do your homework. If you research these boards, you will find PLENTY of horror stories of people that were moved to book their cruise somewhere because of a lower price, only to find out that they got screwed royally when they needed assistance or wanted to make changes.

At this point in time you won't be able to call Carnival for anything else. Everything will have to be handled through the online travel agency...

Tapi, you left out "Did they remove the non-commisionables from the quote to make it appear cheaper?"

Did you check:

The person's reputation?

All very valid points! No booking or canceling fee. Search on CC and google didn't reveal complaints about the agency I went with. So far customer service is great. Took care of the transfer quickly, answered my questions, sent me confirmation showing new booking numbers, cabin, price minus what I paid Carnival already. My cabin didn't show up as being available after the transfer! :) So far so good.

I spend hours (and hours) doing my own research on trips so don't really need a TA and I'd be fine to just book everything directly as I plan to do with flight and hotel. So while there is some more risk the $385 reward is enough I decided could live with it.

I now just need the agency to process my payments and I will double check it is all set and paid well before the final due date. Beyond that I don't think I will need them.

Now if I get on board and my aft wrap turns into a 1A I will undoubtedly be singing a much different tune! :D

Tapi, you left out "Did they remove the non-commisionables from the quote to make it appear cheaper?"

Are non-commisionables taxes, fuel surcharge, etc or something else? The quote was for the cruise fare, taxes, fees, fuel surcharge. Total amount owed to Carnival for these was $3356. Total price now $2971.

The new agency did add insurance beyond that price, but I am going to cancel that as I can get better coverage limits for less on my own. I didn't have insurance with Carnival.

Archived