*** Updated for 2008 *** FAQ's for Saint John, New Brunswick

I asked this on another thread, but think this might be a better place to ask my question.

Can someone help me out? We will be in St. John on Oct. 7, 2008 and I would love to go to the caves at St. Martin. I'm thinking about renting a car. However, I am assuming I want to be able to see it at both High Tide and Low Tide.

How do I find out when the best time is for viewing High Tide and Low Tide on this date? Also a friend that we will be traveling with mentioned that there is no tide on this day due to being a new moon. Is this true?

Sorry but I just don't have a clue about the tides.

Thanks in advance for helping me clear up the "Tide" mystery.

I asked this on another thread, but think this might be a better place to ask my question.

Can someone help me out? We will be in St. John on Oct. 7, 2008 and I would love to go to the caves at St. Martin. I'm thinking about renting a car. However, I am assuming I want to be able to see it at both High Tide and Low Tide.

How do I find out when the best time is for viewing High Tide and Low Tide on this date? Also a friend that we will be traveling with mentioned that there is no tide on this day due to being a new moon. Is this true?

Sorry but I just don't have a clue about the tides.

Thanks in advance for helping me clear up the "Tide" mystery.

There is a tide everyday ...

You can check the schedules here: http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/file...=54&screen=445

From this schedule you can plan when you want to be in St. Martins. You can enjoy low tide roughly 1.5 hours before and after exact low-tide time.

Acey,

Thank you so much for answering my question (on both threads). I'm so appreciative that you took the time.

We are very excited about our trip and look forward to visiting your beautiful city.

Thanks again.:)

We are doing the Reversing Rapids jetboat in early afternoon so we don't have to carry wet clothes around.. we have to be at Fallsview by 12:15 .. how long from Market area to there via cab??

thanks for this great thread.. it is much appreciated:)

We are doing the Reversing Rapids jetboat in early afternoon so we don't have to carry wet clothes around.. we have to be at Fallsview by 12:15 .. how long from Market area to there via cab??

It would be about 10 minutes----maybe 15 if traffic is heavy and you miss lights.

Hey Acey, thanks for the list, and Sapper for the comments. Last time we took a short cruise to Canada from NYC, we stopped in Halifax. Our excursion was cancelled at the last minute, so we just wandered around the city. We ended up having a wonderful time.

After reading your list and the comments here, I think we're going to do the same think in Saint John. I would really love to see the Hopewell Rocks, but taking a 9 hour excursion just doesn't sound great, and we'd miss Saint John. Plus, low tides are 8:08 am and 8:29pm on July 5, so it probably wouldn't be the best time to see them anyway.

Thanks for all of your advice. I'm sure we'll enjoy your lovely city.

Thank you for this fabulous thread. I'll be in Saint John on July 19th and now I know what I'll be doing. Just reading through the thread, I found answers to all of my questions. Thanks again for doing this!!!!

Let me add my thanks for this very informative thread. I have been able to find out a lot of information about Halifax but Saint John has been harder to track down for some reason.

We will be in Saint John on September 30th and look forward to the visit.

Thanks again for taking the time to set up the FAQs and patiently answer all the questions.

Let me add my thanks for this very informative thread. I have been able to find out a lot of information about Halifax but Saint John has been harder to track down for some reason.

We will be in Saint John on September 30th and look forward to the visit.

Thanks again for taking the time to set up the FAQs and patiently answer all the questions.

Your welcome, and also thanks to sapper1 and other local contributors (can't remember their handles) for the excellent postings. This is a big year for us as we will have a new cruise ship terminal in September and a record year of ship visits.

thank you for this thread. Your quick response to questions is very much appreciated. Do the city buses take US coins?

They always took US coins in the past - and I haven't heard anything different - even as the two currencies jockey back and forth.

we will be in St. John in August. Is the city market in walking distance of the ship? (Carnival Victory). Is it just a farmer's market with food, produce, etc. or is there handicrafts, and other things to buy?

Also, does anyone know the rules for bringing food items back on the ship? Not produce and fish, but like wrapped candies, fudge and the like?

Thanks for all the help. Jeanne

we will be in St. John in August. Is the city market in walking distance of the ship? (Carnival Victory). Is it just a farmer's market with food, produce, etc. or is there handicrafts, and other things to buy?

Also, does anyone know the rules for bringing food items back on the ship? Not produce and fish, but like wrapped candies, fudge and the like?

Thanks for all the help. Jeanne

Jeanne- We're on Victory in August as well and this will be our third visit to Saint John. Long Wharf, where Victory's docking in August, is a bit longer walk to the city center than from where we've docked before, but it's an easy walk. You walk along the Harbour Passage to the Hilton - there's an inside pedestrian way that goes right to City Market. There are a lot of food items at the City Market along the lines of a farmers' market, but there are also a fair number of crafts and other items; there's a list of vendors at http://www.sjcitymarket.ca/. We bought a 3-pound bag of Canada mints last year to bring back aboard with no problem.

We are thinking about the jet boat at the falls but do you always get wet? Not too sure I want to do it if that's the case.

Thanks.

Sorry about the subject-the question is not about a taxi.

I assume you will get atleast a bit wet. They do provide raingear - but they claim that is more for breaking the wind. They suggest you bring a change of clothes so there must be facilities to change in.

We are thinking about the jet boat at the falls but do you always get wet? Not too sure I want to do it if that's the case.

Thanks.

Sorry about the subject-the question is not about a taxi.

I made reservations for the Jet Boat at the falls and they said to bring a complete change of clothes as we would be soaked to the skin. We are traveling with our nephew (10) and when he heard that, he chickened out. He heard the water was very cold and he hates to be cold. I tried to reassure him that he'd be fine, but he still said no. So, I cancelled our reservations. I think it would be a lot of fun!

I made reservations for the Jet Boat at the falls and they said to bring a complete change of clothes as we would be soaked to the skin. We are traveling with our nephew (10) and when he heard that, he chickened out. He heard the water was very cold and he hates to be cold. I tried to reassure him that he'd be fine, but he still said no. So, I cancelled our reservations. I think it would be a lot of fun!

The water is cold, but by the looks on their faces going through the falls - it appeared to be the least of their worries :eek:

The water is cold, but by the looks on their faces going through the falls - it appeared to be the least of their worries :eek:

Yep, you've got that right. I really think it would be exciting and would love to do it. Heck, I might just make reservations for me and let DH deal with nephew.;)

One of my tablemates did the jet boats last week. The tides were never right during the day and times we were there to actually traverse the falls, but they did get wet (and cold), and then he had to rinse all the salt water out of his clothes. He said that in retrospect, he might take the bus tour with his wife. She had a wonderful day (I think she did a highlights kind of tour ... most of the rest of us just walked around town. We loved the burial grounds and King's Square. There are also some nice views of the water from just past Queen's Square.

How can I know if the day I am there, the tides will be good for the boat ride?

We get in at 8 AM which is about low tide and high tide will be around 2 PM. When is the best time for the boat ride. It sounds exciting! Should I do the shore excursion through the ship?

Archived