*** Updated for 2008 *** FAQ's for Saint John, New Brunswick

How can I know if the day I am there, the tides will be good for the boat ride?

We get in at 8 AM which is about low tide and high tide will be around 2 PM. When is the best time for the boat ride. It sounds exciting! Should I do the shore excursion through the ship?

If you go to www.cruisesaintjohn.com you can click on "Visit Saint John" and you will find a tide schedule.

Try www.jetboatrides.com for the jet boat website.

You will get a wilder ride at either tide extreme--high or low-- and a less wild ride as slack tide approaches. At slack tide , when the harbour and the river are at more or less the same level it is possible to go through the falls in a sailboat under power.

The website will allow you to make your own reservation if all the times are not taken up by the cruise ship excursions.

One of my tablemates did the jet boats last week. The tides were never right during the day and times we were there to actually traverse the falls, but they did get wet (and cold), and then he had to rinse all the salt water out of his clothes. He said that in retrospect, he might take the bus tour with his wife. She had a wonderful day (I think she did a highlights kind of tour ... most of the rest of us just walked around town. We loved the burial grounds and King's Square. There are also some nice views of the water from just past Queen's Square.

I'm glad to hear that my nephew may be right, forget being wet and salty. ;) We will spend the day on the boardwalk for the "Buskers on the Boardwalk" which happens the weekend we will be there. If we have time, we'd also like to do the museum which is very close.

I'm glad to hear that my nephew may be right, forget being wet and salty. ;) We will spend the day on the boardwalk for the "Buskers on the Boardwalk" which happens the weekend we will be there. If we have time, we'd also like to do the museum which is very close.

The busker festival sounds like a lot of fun. There were a few in the square right outside the museum when we were there (one guy singing, another guy doing a coordinating fire-juggling performance ... it was all pretty funny). The City Market is a pretty easy walk up the street from there (you can take indoor escalators up from the building the museum is in). It's very colorful, with lots of interesting things to see. My 10 year old would have loved it.

The busker festival sounds like a lot of fun. There were a few in the square right outside the museum when we were there (one guy singing, another guy doing a coordinating fire-juggling performance ... it was all pretty funny). The City Market is a pretty easy walk up the street from there (you can take indoor escalators up from the building the museum is in). It's very colorful, with lots of interesting things to see. My 10 year old would have loved it.

Great! I'm hoping he'll think it's fun. From what I've read, there really is a lot to do in town. I'm very excited about it.

Adding my THANKS to everybody who has contributed to this thread. We will be in Saint John on Sept. 24 and this thread has been soooo much help. From what I have read here I think we will plan on a taxi tour for a couple of hours to see reversing falls and get an overview of the city then maybe do one of the three walking tours listed on the Saint John website and a stop at the country market, with lunch back on board the CB in between. We would like to hit some of the nearby attractions and hidden gems listed on this thread. Does this sound like it would work or would it be the same stuff twice? If so which would be the best (taxi tour or walking tour)? Also someone said that taxi rates are regulated, what would a reasonable hourly rate for a taxi tour be? Thanks again for all the help. I am really looking forward to visiting Saint John.

Id cruiser ...

I have to agree about the post. We are getting ready for our second trip to St. John in August. I can't wait.

The last time, we took the RCCL photo tour and it was fanastic ... just enough walking and just enough riding with a great deal of scenic views and historical and cultural information. The children really enjoyed the market, where we made a stop before boarding the ship.

This time, thanks to the great information of Acey and Sapper1, we are heading to St. Martin's.

Id cruiser ...

I have to agree about the post. We are getting ready for our second trip to St. John in August. I can't wait.

The last time, we took the RCCL photo tour and it was fanastic ... just enough walking and just enough riding with a great deal of scenic views and historical and cultural information. The children really enjoyed the market, where we made a stop before boarding the ship.

This time, thanks to the great information of Acey and Sapper1, we are heading to St. Martin's.

I hope you have a wonderful trip-----and good weather. August is generally very nice here--not as much fog and rain as June.

To Id cruiser--I am not ignoring your post. It's just that Acey will see it and he has such a great knowledge re the taxi rates I am sure he will be able to help you. I think I have used a taxi here maybe once in the last five years, so wouldn't be much help. I hope you also have a wonderful visit to our area-----and good weather as it is best seen in the sunshine.

I hope you have a wonderful trip-----and good weather. August is generally very nice here--not as much fog and rain as June.

To Id cruiser--I am not ignoring your post. It's just that Acey will see it and he has such a great knowledge re the taxi rates I am sure he will be able to help you. I think I have used a taxi here maybe once in the last five years, so wouldn't be much help. I hope you also have a wonderful visit to our area-----and good weather as it is best seen in the sunshine.

I just called one of the larger taxi stands and it's $50 per hour - how long the tour lasts is up to customer and what they want to see.

Besides the olympic size pool, it has 2 hot tubs, 3 leisure pools, water slides, tarzan rope, diving boards, a diving platform (very high) - basically a 12 year olds dream.

We're there! My 8 yo son can't wait! Thanks to all for your wonderful advice. :D

This is a great thread...very informative. Not sure if this has been asked. We will be in Saint John August 4th on the Explorer. The 4th is New Brunswick Day{here in Ontario it is called Civic Holiday}. Does this mean the shops, malls, museums etc. will be closed? I went on a tourism web site. Nothing mentioned about closures but there is a music concert and a big flea market that day. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thankyou in advance...Anna:)

This is a great thread...very informative. Not sure if this has been asked. We will be in Saint John August 4th on the Explorer. The 4th is New Brunswick Day{here in Ontario it is called Civic Holiday}. Does this mean the shops, malls, museums etc. will be closed? I went on a tourism web site. Nothing mentioned about closures but there is a music concert and a big flea market that day. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Technically stores would be closed on holidays - however where the cruise ship docks in Saint John is a tourist zone so shop keepers have the ability to open. I'm not sure about NB Day, however on Sundays when stores uptown are typically closed, they will open when a ship is in. So although I'm not completely sure - I would put my money on the stores being open.

Technically stores would be closed on holidays - however where the cruise ship docks in Saint John is a tourist zone so shop keepers have the ability to open. I'm not sure about NB Day, however on Sundays when stores uptown are typically closed, they will open when a ship is in. So although I'm not completely sure - I would put my money on the stores being open - especially if there is a flea market which brings alot of people uptown.

I understand that taxis will be available at the dock for private tours. Does anyone know how that works? Is it a set rate per hour or does the price differ from taxi to taxi? Also there will be 5 adults. Will there be vans there that can take all of us? I think I remember Acey saying that the taxis take credit cards for payment. Is that right?

Thanks.

I understand that taxis will be available at the dock for private tours. Does anyone know how that works? Is it a set rate per hour or does the price differ from taxi to taxi? Also there will be 5 adults. Will there be vans there that can take all of us? I think I remember Acey saying that the taxis take credit cards for payment. Is that right?

Thanks.

The taxis charge $50 per hour for a tour - for however long you want it to be. There are vans that can hold 5. Major cab companies take credit cards - ask before hopping in though. I think an excellent, less known option is the 2 hour tours offered by the local bus service at $17 per person (children 6-14 is $5). They leave from Loyalist Plaza at 9:45 and 12:45. IMO everything you "need" to see in this city can be done walking short distances and is free!

The local bus tour sounds great. Can you walk to Loyalist Plaza from the where the ship docks? Can you pay the $17 in US dollars?

Loyalist Plaza will be less than a 10 minute walk from Pugsley Terminal and maybe 15 minutes or less from Long Wharf. There will be volunteers from the welcoming organization to point you in the right direction.

From Puglsey, just turn left when you get off the ship and walk straight.

From Long Wharf, turn right when you get to the cranberry coloured path at the entrance to the wharf and walk toward the Hilton Hotel. Loyalist Plaza is in front of the Hilton.

City busses will accept US dollars.

For the afternoon Beer I would suggest O'Leary's Pub on Princess St http://www.olearyspub.com/

If it is a nice sunny day you could sit out on the boardwalk and get a beer from the Saint John Alehouse and people watch all the visitors

http://www.saintjohnalehouse.com/

For a van that carry 8 pax you can call Diamond Taxi to have it reserved for a tour. Their number is 506-648-8888.

We will be in St John on aug 2nd. Hos far are thiese places from where our ship docks. Can we walk there? We will be on Carnival Victory.

thank you.

We will be in St John on aug 2nd. Hos far are thiese places from where our ship docks. Can we walk there? We will be on Carnival Victory.

thank you.

On Aug. 2nd the Victory docks at Long Wharf. When you exit the port gates, turn right onto the cranberry coloured trail and up onto the boardwalk - the Alehouse is on the boardwalk - about 5 minute walk from port gates.

For O'Leary's pub it's just a few minutes further - walk down Water St. 1 block to Princess St. Look up the hill and you will see the Irish flag on the right - you will encounter tourist guides that can point you in the right direction if needed.

Acey you have been great with your responses and recommendations.

Can you recommend a good beer, preferably that is only available in the area, that I can bring back to my husband? He likes to drink beer, not colored water with a little bit of a head on top. Right now he's into Guinness and is not overly fond of the strong tasting wheat beers.

Thanks so much,

Traveling to St. John in late August. Anyone been on the St. John River Cruise - Mississippi Paddle Boat - Voyager II. If so, any comments ?

Acey and Sapper1...have either of you ever thought about becoming a Meet and Greeter:D

Haha I would love to be one, probably along with everyone else it this city. If you see me and my dog Jonesy (pic below), come say hi.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1074678&op=5&o=all&view=all&subj=2351018899&aid=-1&oid=2351018899&id=539027316

He loves going down to the dock to look at the ships and people - we have been doing it since he was 10 weeks old and he associates going to the dock with being patted and loved.

Archived