*** Updated for 2008 *** FAQ's for Saint John, New Brunswick

I just got back from the Norwegian Spirit's cruise to Canada/NE and took the city bus out to Reversing Falls. It was very easy - from the ship, I walked two blocks to King Street and there's a bus shelter where the routes 1,2,3 and 4 stop. You simply drop your two Georges (and coin George) into an old fashioned coin collector (unlike American buses with their newfangled electronic bill readers, the Saint John Transit buses have the old drop-your-payment into a windowed farebox). The driver doesn't mind whether the payment is US or CAN.

I had a couple of extra hours after seeing the falls, so I got a transfer to continue onto the Martello Tower across the other side of the bridge. It was just a short hop from the falls, but on the return trip, the bus went down all the local streets getting back but I had to transfer buses at Lancaster Mall, getting me back to the pier just as the gangway was being brought up! If I had known it was going to take a full hour from the tower to the pier, I would have taken a cab and it would have taken only 15-minutes!

Sapper1 and Acey,

Just wanted to thank you for all your help. Our cruise 9/21-28 to Canada and New England on the Dawn was wonderful! I ended up getting our passport stamped in Halifax so didn't even have to search in St.John--I just wanted a Canada stamp. Unfortunately, could not find my Cherished Teddie despite searching in Halifax; and since I knew Sapper1 had cased out the town for me in St. John, I wanted to spend time sightseeing and didn't bother to look. I can always order over the internet; it was just the challenge of finding a Canadian exclusive in Canada! Getting off the ship and receiving a nice pink rose and a pin for my husband was wonderful. I carried the rose sticking up all morning in my pocketbook. We wandered around town, checked out the old Synagogue and the Squares, and headed back onto the ship for lunch. Only disappointment: the old pharmacy/general store (I cannot think of the name) was closed because they were moving it; after I took my husband on a wild (Canadian?) goose chase trying to find it. At lunchtime I put the rose in a tall glass of water and it opened and graced our stateroom all week long. After lunch we took the "red sidewalk" to the Reversing Falls; we timed it to get there at low tide and saw some amazing whirlpools; I think those people who ride on them in the boats are nuts. Again, thank you, you have a wonderful, picturesque city and we met some lovely, friendly people. Would gladly return someday. Now, if I could only win that 10 lbs. of lobster from the survey card I replied to.....

Thank you for all of your helpful hints about the city bus and the reversing falls. We enjoyed the video at the visitors center. From our vantage point at the look out point, we could see where the shore excursion passengers are taken. The city bus stop is a much better location. Thank you so much for your help.

Saint John is a beautiful city. I hope to return some day.

Sapper1...nice to have finally met you.

Likewise--------Now we will know each other when we meet on the street. It was great meeting you on the Eurodam tour. Too bad we didn't realize just who the other was until just as it was ending. We could have talked more.

• 1 month later...

Archived