Lobster Tail Tales

IHATESNOW

IHATESNOW and MaxCircus, how did you find the seafood overall, being from New England ? I think we are mostly all spoiled by our New England seafood and most New Englanders ARE seafood snobs if they like fish. How are the fish and chips ?

I personally don't think the seafood is all that great... the lobster certainly isn't worth raving about, but I'm a snob :p The fish and chips, while many people like them, were mediocre in my opinion.... but I could have gotten it on a bad day. Not one to aimlessly waste my calories on food I don't enjoy, I never gave it another chance :p LOL I have a place that makes a great fish and chips, again, it's all in what you are used to. I'm the same way about crabcakes/crab being from Maryland... I will say the Seafood Newberg is very tasty, they have some shrimp dishes that are good (hard to screw up shrimp :p) But I have been less than impressed with many others...some people really like the seafood dishes on Carnival though, I just think it's hard to do seafood "right" when you are preparing it for 3000 people.

IHATESNOW and MaxCircus, how did you find the seafood overall, being from New England ? I think we are mostly all spoiled by our New England seafood and most New Englanders ARE seafood snobs if they like fish. How are the fish and chips ?

I fully admit that I AM a seafood snob. That's the first step in any decent 12-step recovery program. :)

That being said, I thought Carnival did a nice job with the seafood overall. The fish and chips (coincidentally at the Fish and Chips restaurant ;) )was very good on Freedom - a tad greasy but tasty with some malt vinegar. The fried oysters were excellent. And they had some tuna sashimi on watermelon slices which was some of the best I have had.

On Inspiration I had the aforementioned loster which was the best I have had on a cruise ship. At lunch in the dining room I had some grilled or broiled trout. It was very good as well. Saw a few seafood entrees in the buffet that didn't look too appealing. I did try the Tilapia and wish that I hadn't - very fishy tasting.

you can get it on the interactive TV as well. You can even see what they are eating at the supper club that evening.

I don't trust the interactive tv anymore...on our Pride cruise last month..many items listed on the tv were not on the menu when we got to the diningroom..walk down and check the menu if you really want to know..that one will be what they are actually serving..

NOW for how many tails...well lets just say..on the Pride cruise I ordered 2 initially..sometimes they can be chewy so I was conservative..I have to say they were the BEST tails I have had on any cruise we've taken..sweet, suculent and oh so tender..I ordered two more :D and then DH ordered one, which was strange because he doesn't like lobster, and low and behold it ended up on MY plate...go figure;) ..anyway,,5 was the total and given their size I probably could have eaten a couple more...YUM is all I can say...

We all know there’s that lobster tail night and well….., I’ve been so bold as to order two before. Being from New England I can chow some serious lobster, so two was restraining for me. Now who is going to step up to the plate and let us know just how bad they are?

From New England and a serious lobster eater?

PASS on the lobster tails. You won't even recognize them as lobster.

What you get in the dining room are frozen tails from a clawless [a lobster that didn't grow claws???] tropical lobster. It might as well be a different species from Maine lobster. Its like comparing a rib eye with a Micky D's. They're both beef and some people love McD's. But one is good and the other is odd.

Dan

Cruised the Destiny 2 years ago and the lobster was 'ok'. I am a bit biased being from Maine. .It certainly did not taste /look like Maine lobster.

Secondly.. who wants the nasty tail.. the claw is much better!! Wonder what they do with all those ??

The tropical lobster does not have claws. Don't ask! :D It just doesn't.

Dan

Dan40..... I must disagree. Maybe they serve different tails on different ships but the last tail I had was not spiny "Caribbean" lobster. Not on my last cruise....but on a previous Carnival cruise...I had one of the best tasting (and prepared) tails I have ever had. On my last cruise (Carnival) they were doing the small tails with the shrimp...not as good.

Dan40..... I must disagree. Maybe they serve different tails on different ships but the last tail I had was not spiny "Caribbean" lobster. Not on my last cruise....but on a previous Carnival cruise...I had one of the best tasting (and prepared) tails I have ever had. On my last cruise (Carnival) they were doing the small tails with the shrimp...not as good.

If they sometimes serve Maine lobster and sometimes serve tropical lobster, I have not been on a Carnival cruise that served the Maine lobster. Or I didn't notice and I always order one tail because Barb will never order more than one for herself.

But she will eat mine too!:D

I do not care for the spineys at all to start with and freezing them and then broiling them does nothing good for them. They are too often tough and rubbery, sometimes sour aftertasting [is that a word?] and even iodiney.

But at their very, very best, they do not compete with a Maine lobster. [And I'm not from New England, nor that great a seafood lover]

Dan

We have found the lobsters to be very hit and miss. The very worst lobster I was ever served was on CCL. I have also had some very good ones too. Most are average at best. I am biased I eat lots of lobsters.

If it has claws it is a cold water lobster think Maine type. Those without claws are the warm water type most commonly served on cruise ships. Some are even farm raised now as are most shrimp these days.

Gary

My son probably holds the record. When he was 16 (if you have teen boys, you know how they eat) he had 12 lobster tails. He is now 20 and is part of the US Army Infantry so someone else gets to feed him now.

Hi, I tried to put the same count down clock you have in my signature and it messed up my whole signature. they had to clear my signature. How did you get yours to work?

I just cut and pasted the HTML garbage from the website where I created it. It took a couple of tries but I got it. If you get it from the same place, try removing the "myspace coundown clocks" towards the end of the program. I believe that's an advertising link and that could be what's stopping it. I removed it and that's when it took.

I find most of the seafood marginal at best. There are some dishes that they do better than others. Something like a lobster tail is hard to screw up and comes down to how you cook it. One of the biggest problems that I always find is overcooked seafood. I agree, we're spoiled.

I have not tried the fish & chips so I don't know. I like beer battered ther best and I doubt they do it that way.

I personally don't think the seafood is all that great... the lobster certainly isn't worth raving about, but I'm a snob :p The fish and chips, while many people like them, were mediocre in my opinion.... but I could have gotten it on a bad day. Not one to aimlessly waste my calories on food I don't enjoy, I never gave it another chance :p LOL I have a place that makes a great fish and chips, again, it's all in what you are used to. I'm the same way about crabcakes/crab being from Maryland... I will say the Seafood Newberg is very tasty, they have some shrimp dishes that are good (hard to screw up shrimp :p) But I have been less than impressed with many others...some people really like the seafood dishes on Carnival though, I just think it's hard to do seafood "right" when you are preparing it for 3000 people.

I agee 100%. Seafood is too time sensitive in preparation, cooking & serving.

From New England and a serious lobster eater?

PASS on the lobster tails. You won't even recognize them as lobster.

What you get in the dining room are frozen tails from a clawless [a lobster that didn't grow claws???] tropical lobster. It might as well be a different species from Maine lobster. Its like comparing a rib eye with a Micky D's. They're both beef and some people love McD's. But one is good and the other is odd.

Dan

Yes it is a poor facsimile of the real thing for sure, however if they're cooked right and I have enough rum under my belt....well they're not so bad....LOL

had to look it up because I didn't believe you, but you are right. Spiny Lobster. That's actually what I think we were served if I remember the menu right. Largest Spiny found was 3 foot long!! That's a tail

Yes it is a poor facsimile of the real thing for sure, however if they're cooked right and I have enough rum under my belt....well they're not so bad....LOL

I don't even want to remember some of the things that seemed OK with enough rum or any other booze under my belt. :D:eek:

Dan

I don't even want to remember some of the things that seemed OK with enough rum or any other booze under my belt. :D:eek:

Dan

Wearing beer goggles were ya? :p

My son probably holds the record. When he was 16 (if you have teen boys, you know how they eat) he had 12 lobster tails. He is now 20 and is part of the US Army Infantry so someone else gets to feed him now.

There is a restaurant outside Orlando that advertises all the lobster you can eat and a buffet. Our Gold Wing Riders group (motorcycles) went there once and a lady in the group who was not a large person had 19 tails!! That's disgusting. You'd get one tail at a time and have to go get another.

Aren't some of those pictured Maine lobsters?

I hate to say it but I was craving lobster so bad last week especially after seeing a Red Lobster commercial for lobster fest we went there and I had the most delicious but scrawny tail. I think half the reason we love lobster is that it's a good excuse to have drawn butter. The prices were very high, especially for what you get.

I don't think I've ever had Maine lobster on any cruise. That why there's no claws, I think that they're rock lobsters...they don't have the claws. But if you dip them in enough butter they taste good!:D :D

Archived