Lobster Tail Tales

IHATESNOW

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, my wife and I cruised on the Grand Princess during the Super Bowl in Feb. Much to our suprise during a nite we did not go to one of the dinning rooms, we did a buffet and in the seafood station was a full bin of loster claws. WOW !! Only thing the where cold and no warm butter. But it was real good. Being from Ma. it was a treat to have them. Have heard from other cruisers they have seen the same. Gotta go Dick & Jane .

Hello, my wife and I cruised on the Grand Princess during the Super Bowl in Feb. Much to our suprise during a nite we did not go to one of the dinning rooms, we did a buffet and in the seafood station was a full bin of loster claws. WOW !! Only thing the where cold and no warm butter. But it was real good. Being from Ma. it was a treat to have them. Have heard from other cruisers they have seen the same. Gotta go Dick & Jane .

Maine lobster is terrific. Have you ever had Stone Crab claws? They are as large as lobster claws. They are normally served cold, they are kind of pink and black. When they catch them they twist off one claw and throw the crab back in the water. It soon grows another claw. The shell is extremely thick and strong but when you get to the meat it is like savory candy.

Dan

I prefer crab to lobster, too.

When I cruised with my family last year, I didn't order the lobster, even though I didn't know whether I would like it or not. I think everyone else at the table of 9 ordered it, including my sister-in-law, who had never had it, but figured it would be a good time to try it. She ate some and decided she didn't care for it. I asked if I could have a bite, so I took a little, and didn't like it at all. I said "Tracy got a bad lobster!" :eek: My brother then tasted it, rolled his eyes and said "That's what lobster tastes like." :rolleyes:

I'm definitely a seafood snob, being a Florida native. I realize that on a typical cruise ship, where they're preparing a zillion meals at a time, I am not to expect top notch seafood, it's basically impossible (as sad as it is...we're in the middle of the Caribbean, and the seafood is 'meh', lol). In general, I'm not a huge fan of lobster (I don't see the big deal, I'd rather have some good Maryland blue crabs) but if I am to have it, I prefer our Florida lobster to Maine's. It's what I grew up on!

• 2 weeks later...
IHATESNOW and MaxCircus, how did you find the seafood overall, being from New England ? I think we are mostly all spoiled by our New England seafood and most New Englanders ARE seafood snobs if they like fish. How are the fish and chips ?

Luckily we are going to Lisbon, Portugal for 2 or 3 days prior to embarkation. You undoubtedly know Portugal, being on the sea and quite narrow, is noted for its seafood. Even though we live most of the year on a barier island and catch our own fish (fresh is SO much better), we are looking forward to eating seafood there. I may get a new recipe to prpareing fish. :)

We all know there’s that lobster tail night and well….., I’ve been so bold as to order two before. Being from New England I can chow some serious lobster, so two was restraining for me. Now who is going to step up to the plate and let us know just how bad they are?

I was in Mexico one time and had 3 dinners with another guy. The resturant had 3 ways of cooking lobster, and I ordered 1 the 1st nite and another the 2nd. The 3rd nite, the waiter (after bring our drinks) said "How would you like your lobster tonite?) and I replied the 3rd way. When he brought our dinners out, he said (with the tray high overhead)" they did not catch any good-sized lobsterf today" and served me TWO perfectly cooked lobster. I quit eating anything else and barely got through the 2!

We were recently on the AZ Quest, lobster nite was not announced but I saw the menu for the nite whch said "Lobster 4 ways" It was a portion of lobster (langostino?) that would be illegal in the US (too small) and 3 pastries with something inside theysaid was lobster(2 tasted like it). This on a high cost priemium line? :(

• 2 weeks later...
There is a restaurant outside Orlando that advertises all the lobster you can eat and a buffet. Our Gold Wing Riders group (motorcycles) went there once and a lady in the group who was not a large person had 19 tails!! That's disgusting. You'd get one tail at a time and have to go get another.

CruisinpsychRN: I don't know when I will ever go to Orlando, but what's this restaurant called? Where is it? Would surely like to go someday.:p

• 2 weeks later...

I ate my lobster and my hubby's and it was wonderful. My husband does not like seafood so it was great that I got have one of my favorite meals:D We were on the Conquest and all our meals were fantastic!

On our first cruise the waiter said that the lobster tails that night were South African. I didn't care for the taste but the woman next to me had 3.

The second cruise the tails were small and very rubbery. Probably overcooked.

The last cruise the tails had a very good flavour and I didn't order a second but DH gave me his. What a good husband.:D

The tails every time have been a very firm texture and feel to them which makes me think that they had been previously frozen. Nothing like the Lobster Roll I had in Freeport, Maine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Chitowncruisers lobtser picture showed a major problem for some with lobster.the top of the tail section was intact meaning nobody removed the anal vent.That means as you ate that lobster you ate him and what he wasn't able to "flush away" yet.This comes from a guy who lives very close to the north atlantic and has the good fortune to have freinds who dive for lobsters .Then again I eat clam bellies! to each his own.!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We all know there’s that lobster tail night and well….., I’ve been so bold as to order two before. Being from New England I can chow some serious lobster, so two was restraining for me. Now who is going to step up to the plate and let us know just how bad they are?

HAL's are terrible. We have stopped ordering them -- but I always do check with others to see how they are.

They are very tiny -- barely 2 -3 bites -- you get one lobster tail with a tiny, tough piece of beef -- last formal night. The lobster tail is also tough -- they are under that dome from the time they leave the kitchen until they are served to you -- thus they keep cooking and become tough.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 38 days until I cruise on the Emerald and I am looking forward to all the shell fish. Mostly the Lobster and crab as my family detest the taste and smell we never dine at a seafood restaurant at home so the best I've ever had was on board a Princess cruise.:D:D:D

My parents and sister with her family cruises with us so the majority loves lobster so my DH and kids are in the minority and I can say I Love IT without looking at all their eyes roll.

[ quote=INeedAMaiTai;14720131]The ships always seem to have lobster and beef wellington the same night. My husband always orders both.

Ugh..that borderlines on someone being a downright pig, IMO!

For me, after 1 or 2 it just doesn't taste as good! I agree with others,lobster is overated. We get those small "florida lobsters", I don't find them that great. I get a chuckle when people come to Florida to visit and they want to eat at Red Lobster or Bubba Gumps when there are so many fresher finds here.

In Jamaica last week my extended family, who own a restaurant, took me to the fish harbor to bargain with the fisherman directly. For breakfast every day I had steamed doctor fish, and at night fried snapper. They cook the entire fish there, not filleted. YUM!

There is a restaurant outside Orlando that advertises all the lobster you can eat and a buffet. Our Gold Wing Riders group (motorcycles) went there once and a lady in the group who was not a large person had 19 tails!! That's disgusting. You'd get one tail at a time and have to go get another.

Aren't some of those pictured Maine lobsters?

I hate to say it but I was craving lobster so bad last week especially after seeing a Red Lobster commercial for lobster fest we went there and I had the most delicious but scrawny tail. I think half the reason we love lobster is that it's a good excuse to have drawn butter. The prices were very high, especially for what you get.

I just came back from the Rhaspody and they had NO LOBSTER

But we did cruise to Mystery Island and I bought a fresh lobster from the islanders. also got one on Isle of pines. Both Lobsters were great - caught that day and cooked live that hour. THE ONLY WAY TO EAT A LOBSTER.

I hate any sea food that has been frozen. living in Queensland Australia we buy our sea food from the trawlers - fresh and usually ALIVE, so missing out on frozen tails wasn't a big loss to me.

I will finish boasting now.

jeanette

Archived