Charge to set up a "Meet & Greet"?

theduffys

I agree with 2 Fingers completely - way too early to get lathered up about this. I've organized many Meet & Greets over the years and I'd say about half the time, depending on the particular coordinator, I've gotten the "charge for danish & coffee is x amount pp."

When that's occurred, I've just replied that we didn't require that and only needed a room. In every case, except Sun Sept. 2004, we received coffee, tea, OJ, danish or cookies nonetheless plus had the chance to meet several senior officers.

I've also been asked (usually at the same time) whether we require a microphone or any a/v equipment, with the notation that there is a price for that as well.

So don't sweat it....book your group....and you may find refreshments there anyways. We just did it twice on the Gem (Dec. and Jan.) and it was perfect.

Dazzles is a perfectly reasonable lounge to be assigned. Often when the group is particularly large, that's what the Dawn uses. And it also depends on what is already booked in the other lounges/rooms (after all, they are all "public") Usually the Meet & Greets are offered in the morning of the first sea day, so doesn't conflict with sailaway or other activities.

Best way to handle this, if you're "informed" about any fees is to just decline that part.

NCL has been incredibly gracious and generous with the Meet & Greets we've attended.:D

upcoming cruise I contacted the ships coordinator. Told the time and date we would like to have the meet and greet (first sea day - early afternoon) and it was arranged with no problem, no charge. We will also have an informal meet and greet during/right after the sail away in my cabin for those that want....didn't ask for food or drink and wasn't told there would be a charge either. We are in one of the small conference rooms for our meet and greet.

On the cruise after that nothing has been said about a meet and greet but our roll call is relatively small because we are on the Pride of America via the Pride of Aloha!

I just called the NCL Coordinator that sent me the e-mail confirming my M & G. I asked about a charge and she said that there is NEVER a charge for a M & G. I did ask about food and beverage and she said that is up to the chef and is decided onboard. I was given the name of someone onboard to confirm everything with once we get there. I am also to speak to them about the food and such.

Before the rumors start flying more than this whoever is trying to set this up should call NCL ship Coordinator for the sailing and get this ironed out. Somebody was definately given wrong information.

I could be wrong....but I don't think anyone ever said there was a charge for a m&g. I was never told we would be charged for ours. The only cost would be for food, which seems consistent with what others have been told. Maybe this is only specific to the coordinator of the Dawn.

I was almost ready to believe this could be true as the attendance at some Meet and Greets I have been to has been very sparse.

I think it is rude of us not to attend when the cruise lines go to the trouble of planning it, officers taking the time to attend and food is set up and wasted when attendance is low.

I could be wrong....but I don't think anyone ever said there was a charge for a m&g. I was never told we would be charged for ours. The only cost would be for food, which seems consistent with what others have been told. Maybe this is only specific to the coordinator of the Dawn.

The OP called it "Charge to set up a 'Meet and Greet'" so that's how that got started.

Every M&G I've been to (except the 2 on the Sun) also provided coffee, tea, OJ, danish or cookies. We've never asked for that and it was a very nice gesture on the part of the ship.

So it appears there is no charge for the M & G, like always. Sometimes you get the snacks and sometimes (rarely) you won't. I suppose the charge would kick in if you specifically ordered food like djdale says, and then the coordinator might quote you the pp charge.

They have another list that tells you how much pp it would be to have various type cocktail parties provided you have a group of 20 or more. Again, if you request this for the CC group, you would be charged.;):D

OUr M & G is scheduled for 1st sail day at 10:30 am. Time was picked by NCL, I assume they have other meetings also.

The ship coordinator stated no charge, will have drinks and snacks, some officers will attend, some might not be able too attend.

So don't panic people. Sounds like a misunderstanding by the ship coordinator. To start with ask for the day you want, not the sail away time. Then if you don't get what you want, ask to speak to supervisor for clarification. ;)

This is the exact wording on the e-mail we recieved from Tilta Carter, the ship coordinator for the Jade.

"We can set up coffee, tea and Danishes for $4.03 per person. I will send the request for the meeting space over to the ship, to see if they can confirm for your group. I will request the meet and greet to be held at 11:15am. Please let me know if this will be ok for your group?"

That is why I started this thread. I guess I was not totally clear in my wording originally. I meant that I was surprised about the fact that there was now a charge for the refreshments at a requested meet and greet. We will simply request a space without food and see what happens. Thanks to all who have shared their particular occurences.

This is the exact wording on the e-mail we recieved from Tilta Carter, the ship coordinator for the Jade.

"We can set up coffee, tea and Danishes for $4.03 per person. I will send the request for the meeting space over to the ship, to see if they can confirm for your group. I will request the meet and greet to be held at 11:15am. Please let me know if this will be ok for your group?"

That is why I started this thread. I guess I was not totally clear in my wording originally. I meant that I was surprised about the fact that there was now a charge for the refreshments at a requested meet and greet. We will simply request a space without food and see what happens. Thanks to all who have shared their particular occurences.

How did you word your original email? When I emailed the Coordinator on the Dawn, I simply said I was setting up a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet and gave a total of how many people (give or take) would attend. I didn't request a certain time or place. Maybe that's the key. On the Dawn we were in the Star Bar. On our upcoming cruise, we'll be in Le Bistro-time and place decieded by the ships coordinator.

exact wording of original e-mail sent:

"We have a group of people from CruiseCritic.com that are part of a roll call sailing on the Norwegian Jade, May 17,2008. We have approxomitely 40 people signed up so far. I would feel that at least half of these will attend the Meet and Greet, a total of 25-30 people. We would like to hold it on the first Sea Day, which would be Friday May 23,2008. Would you please set us up a room to meet in, reply to me the name, time and location of the room and send me information about any refreshments we might expect."

As you can see, the only specific was the date. I assume the mistake we made was "expecting" any refreshments.

• Administrators
exact wording of original e-mail sent:

"We have a group of people from CruiseCritic.com that are part of a roll call sailing on the Norwegian Jade, May 17,2008. We have approxomitely 40 people signed up so far. I would feel that at least half of these will attend the Meet and Greet, a total of 25-30 people. We would like to hold it on the first Sea Day, which would be Friday May 23,2008. Would you please set us up a room to meet in, reply to me the name, time and location of the room and send me information about any refreshments we might expect."

As you can see, the only specific was the date. I assume the mistake we made was "expecting" any refreshments.

I disagree with that, sadly -- I don't think you made a mistake at all in your email. I think any "mistake" was you implicitly believing that the Jade's ship coordinator had heard of Cruise Critic, or "Meet and Greets," and/or had any desire to furnish a nice event to internet-savvy cruise travelers.

I'll back off a bit from my prior post, since it doesn't appear this is a fleetwide change or a policy mandate by NCL, but I really do believe that someone in the position held by your addressee SHOULD be more savvy than their reply to you indicates. :rolleyes:

It only takes one negative review here to then appear in Google search results about a ship for the next 40 eons. It seems to me that enough baseless negative reviews happen in the course of humankind, unreasonable expectations, lack of research, and natural events -- why would a cruiseline representative put their employer's neck on the chopping block to court another one? Very odd goings on.

How did you word your original email? . I didn't request a certain time or place. Maybe that's the key.-time and place decided by the ships coordinator.

I agree, let them tell you where, when, how etc..

that's what I have done in the past..no costs, no problems.

If you become demanding, they react I guess.

Don't be jumping to any conclusions folks. NCL has always charged groups looking to book a private room. I booked a room last April for a meeting, and was told the room was free but that I would be charged for coffee and danishes if I wanted them. The charge was $4.03 per person. The price list they provided me with also included prices for bar service, etc. I opted to take the room only...no charge.

NCL has always provided a room for CC gatherings and served coffee and danish free of charge. It sounds to me that the person at NCL who responded to the OPs inquiry was merely providing facts on what NCL normally charges for a group gathering. These prices were being charged long before 2.0

It has never been their policy to do so for CC, so let's not panic until someone gets their first bill...OK??? :D

Thanks for posting!

When you contact the Ship Coordinator, you need to specify CC Meet & Greet.

We've been to all the Meet & Greets and we've never paid a penny. Yulexi didn't mention anything of the sort for our upcoming cruise in June either. I highly doubt the OP's claim is accurate.

ETA: I've read your emails now. I suspect the Jade's Ship Coordinator is just handling your M&G like any other group. It couldn't hurt to clarify.

I think when you told her that you wanted it on a certain day that did it. Honestly, your email sounding more like someone "reserving" a venue.

This is what I sent:

I would like to arrange a Cruise Critic Meet N Greet. So far I have a group of 27 people. I have never done this before but have heard wonderful things about the Meet and Greets on NCL. Any information would be great.

The next day I got this email:

Good morning,

Meet & greet is confirmed for 11/26 at 10:30am-11:30am in the Star bar.

Yulexi Perez

Group Event Coordinator/ Norwegian Dawn

resent the request and got the confirmed e-mail back today with date (the one we requested), time (10:30am) and place (star bar) set up. So, all's well that ends well. Thanks for all who had helpful suggestions.

Archived