where to pack the snokel gear?

We got to where we only take our masks and snorkel and leave the fins at home. They just take up to much room and I don't mind sharing fins as much as I do the snorkel. I always wrap our masks with towels and put them in our carry on. I have read several stories and people getting their glass broke in checked luggage.

Good luck and have fun.....

We always bring our own gear, and have a special bag for the fins, masks & snorkels, as well as the dive safe thingy for the crackers (gotta have that!).

After seeing how they clean off the ships stuff, I determined very quickly that I didn't want that in my mouth or on my feet.

We got to where we only take our masks and snorkel and leave the fins at home. They just take up to much room and I don't mind sharing fins as much as I do the snorkel. I always wrap our masks with towels and put them in our carry on. I have read several stories and people getting their glass broke in checked luggage.

This too is what we were thinking of doing! The fins are soooo heavy!

I never thought about the glass on the mask breaking...good idea about wrapping them. I have been going back and forth about the idea of even bringing them??? We are cruising to PV, Mazatlan and Cabo. We will not be booking any snorkeling excursions...but thought maybe we would just fool around in the water. I am now thinking that it might be a waste of time?

Smiles,Connie

For my husband snorkeling is one of his favorite elements of cruising. We usually pack his snorkel and mask in our carry-on. That way he will still have it even if luggage gets lost. His fins go in the bottom of a suitcase. We've left the fins at home when our suitcases were too full. He's a very good swimmer and can do without them if he needs to, but I feel better when he's out there paddling around by himself with fins on.

They also make much smaller fins these days that fit much better in the luggage.

I usually bring along a mask and snorkel, and at the very least a snorkel. Not risking my health on whether or not the crewmember rememered to sanitize the equipment, or if their sanitation process is sufficient. Yuk.

We are cruising to PV, Mazatlan and Cabo. We will not be booking any snorkeling excursions...but thought maybe we would just fool around in the water. I am now thinking that it might be a waste of time?

Connie, I would probably not bring them. The water on that side is pretty cold this early in the year.

Just a packing suggestion (though I agree it's probably going to be too cold). Place the fins at the bottom of the suitcase and cover with a cheap thin beach towel (which you will use anyway). Place your snorkel around one corner of the suitcase and your mask between some clothes. Ours have never been damaged doing this. As for fins, in the Carribean at least it can be quite challenging to snorkel without them secondary to currents around the reefs. I'd bring all gear or no gear to be honest...

Connie, I would probably not bring them. The water on that side is pretty cold this early in the year.

Thanks cantw82cruise....you are probably right! I never thought about the "cold" factor. We are thick skinned here in Canada. Swim in a lake that is pretty chilly in the spring and fall...that being said though...I think I will just throw in one set minus the fins just for DS to dive under and take a peek ;)

I like your board name!

We have something like that at the lake on our outhouse door

4U2P :D

Smiles,Connie

My snorkle and mask go in my checked luggage.. I have a plastic box that the mask came in so no chance of lens breakage..if push came to shove and their was no room in the luggage, then the snorkle would go and the mask would stay home..YuK...just thinking about placing something in my mouth that may or may not have been santized correctly or at all...:rolleyes: give me the creeps...never bring fins..as OP's have said..they take up too much room and besides..it really doesn't matter, health wise, if someone else wore them...

Thanks cantw82cruise....you are probably right! I never thought about the "cold" factor. We are thick skinned here in Canada. Swim in a lake that is pretty chilly in the spring and fall...that being said though...I think I will just throw in one set minus the fins just for DS to dive under and take a peek ;)

We snorkeled in Cabo in December before I think because the air is so warm it makes the water feel even colder. Living in Michigan I am no stranger to cold water but it still took my breath away when I jumped in.

I like your board name! Thanks !!!

We have something like that at the lake on our outhouse door

4U2P :D

Nice !!!!! ;)

That's what I was thinking of doing. especially the sharing of the snorkel. gross

Archived