Zeebrugge to Bruges. Some options how to get there.

Bruges - We did the train option. It's by far the cheapest and I would say most enjoyable. However, it's not as simple as stated here... but don't let put you off. The train Station at Blankenberge is 7km away, that's about a 90 minute walk if you can keep that pace up! We did this; walked out the cruise terminal turned right at the main road and walked to the tram stop about 300m away. It's right next to a church with a spire (great landmark). Alan

Alan, it sounds like you also docked at the Zweedse Kaai like Heinbloed had mentioned somewhere else. However, he also said that you were not allowed to walk from the dock area into town. So, either you did something wrong or Heinbloed was wrong.

All my earlier details were based on the ship docking at the other location opposite this dock. But in either case, you really don't have to go all the way to Blankenberge to catch the train to Brugge. What I had written a long time ago was modified to include taking the train from the small train stations in Zeebrugge. During the summer months that is the Strand Station. Here again is the map I showed earlier. I also should mention that there are no ticket machines at the Strand Train station, and you have to buy them aboard the train from the conductor.

Again, we have to be careful about train and tram. The tram you referred to goes along the coast to Blankenberge, where you then walk to the train station for a short train ride to Brugge.

strand%202.jpg

Edited by Lair Bear

We did this; walked out the cruise terminal turned right at the main road and walked to the tram stop about 300m away. It's right next to a church with a spire (great landmark).

2010POArt21324-vi.jpg

From the port gate to Zeebrugge Kerk = Church...

You have to buy your tickets from the kiosk adjacent to the stop - no purchase allowed on tram!

Check here:

you can buy tickets in the tram. But it's more expensive:

2.00 EUR instead of 1.20 EUR:

http://www.delijn.be/dekusttram/vervoerbewijzen/biljet.htm

The tram takes about 10-15 mins and pulls up right outside Blankenberge Station - the area is a main tram stop so you can't miss it.

2010POArt21319-vi.jpg

2010POArt21318-vi.jpg

Can't remember exactly but it's about 6 euros each - same price for over 10's.

A return ticket is 2010:

5.70 EUR on weekdays

3.70 EUR on weekends

The trains depart every 30 mins (from memory every 10 past and 20 to).

It's once per hour - but in the peak-season in summer time (marked with a sun) you have additional trains.

Best would be to download this pdf-schedule:

http://hari.b-holding.be/Hafas/folders/20091213/A/FR/A-050a.pdf

so you have a handy version and can take out specific pages for your plannings.

Regards

HeinBloed

Checking the sailed ships list:

all major cruise lines with their big ships all used Zweedse Kaai (702/703) this year so far:

ARTEMIS

AURORA

QUEEN VICTORIA

VISION OF THE SEAS

see here:

http://www.zedis.be/lijsten/SchepenAfgevaren.aspx?agent=0

Quay numbers are here:

http://www.portofzeebrugge.be/images/plannen/kaainummers-zeebrugge2002_print.jpg

700s-Numbers are all Zweedse Kaai.

Impressions from Zweedse Kaai can be found here:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2010/05/zeebrugge-belgium-transport-options.html

Only smaller ships of minor lines like

ALEXANDER VON HUMBOLDT (Phoenix)

ATHENA (CIC)

obviously used the part of the port which was closer to Zeebrugge Strand station.

Regards

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Checking the last days sailing I would assume that there is a rule which ship calls which berth:

Major lines like

P&O

Princess

Cunard

NCL

Royal Caribbean

all called Zweedse Kaai

Operations with smaller ships like

CIC ("ATHENA")

Fred Olsen ("BOUDICCA")

Saga

Oceana ("REGATTA")

called the area which was described originally here in this thread.

As said before:

the information is made due to observations this year and it looks like it is the scheme.

Regards

HeinBloed

We were there in May of this year aboard the Star Princess and I am not sure of the name of the dock...however we were not allowed to walk off the dock even though the distance was only about 50 feet. We had to use either a taxi or bus. We were OK as we had booked a taxi/van to take a group of us to Brugge for a cost of 12E each round trip - but those that planned to walk to the train station had to get a taxi to get off the dock and I heard horror stories about taxi gouging!

• 3 weeks later...
We took Brugge Taxi (has a website) that was there to meet us in Zebrugge right on time and brought us back to the ship as well (we had pre-arranged times). I had contacted them by email and they were very responsive. Great deal--much cheaper than the ship's transport.

We just came back from our stop in Zeeburge, and I had arranged Brugge Taxi 6 months in advance. They DID NOT pick us up!!! We waited for over an hour while reserved cab after reserved cab stoped to pick up passengers. I asked a Brugge Taxi driver to call to see where our ride was, and he said "it's on its way".

If a cab came and it was not reserved, it was a scramble to get a cab, by grabbing a door handle and jumping in.

When we finally did get to Brugges by George's Taxi, he said he would pick us up at 2:00, and HE never showed!

We almost missed the boat, the only taxi's showing up were reserved, and there were several dozen of us waiting, many with reservations. We sent our wives along in a reserved taxi that only had 2 people in it (I stood in the middle of the street and stopped the driver when I saw only 2 people in the taxi), and we took another 40 min before we finally got one. Made the ship with only 10 min to spare...quite stressful.

That being said, Brugge town is a delight, a must see!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

We arrived into Zweedsee Kwai on the Crown Princess last summer, and I will say that getting to Brugges independently was a challenge. We walked into the tiny village of Zeebruges, took the tram to Blankenberg, found out that we had just missed the train to Bruges, and then got a taxi.

That is the reason I am posting. Our taxi driver was excellent, a good English speaker, and has a large van that seats 8 or 9. He picked us up from the Market Square at an arranged time in the afternoon, which was a huge help since there was a shortage of taxis.

Here is his contact information:

Gossiaux Koen

koen.gossiaux@telenet.be

phone 0475 48 06 94

Hope this will help someone!

Bhammom3

We just came back from our stop in Zeeburge, and I had arranged Brugge Taxi 6 months in advance. They DID NOT pick us up!!! We waited for over an hour while reserved cab after reserved cab stoped to pick up passengers. I asked a Brugge Taxi driver to call to see where our ride was, and he said "it's on its way".

If a cab came and it was not reserved, it was a scramble to get a cab, by grabbing a door handle and jumping in.

When we finally did get to Brugges by George's Taxi, he said he would pick us up at 2:00, and HE never showed!

We almost missed the boat, the only taxi's showing up were reserved, and there were several dozen of us waiting, many with reservations. We sent our wives along in a reserved taxi that only had 2 people in it (I stood in the middle of the street and stopped the driver when I saw only 2 people in the taxi), and we took another 40 min before we finally got one. Made the ship with only 10 min to spare...quite stressful.

That being said, Brugge town is a delight, a must see!!!!

Sorry to hear your tale of wo - but in fairness to Brugse Taxi service - we enjoyed EXCELLENT service from them last week... Picked us up bang on time; no hassles in agreeing a changed return-time, and none again when we called to get an immediate pick-up early afternoon 'coz it was hosing-down...

Personaly - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them...

The public transport options are a hassle if you have to get to Blankenberg first; Tram Zeebrugge > Blankenberg... Train to Bruges... Then a mile-walk to the main square & the same going back...

Alternatively 20 minutes e/w in the taxi right to the main square & back to the gangplank!. If you're 4-up, for a return fare of €100 (incl. a bonus tip); it's well worth it IMO :p

Hi

DH and I and a group of cruising friends and family were on the Celebrity Eclipse May 7 cruise. We picked Rony's Taxis - the price was 90 Euros per van or car round trip. They were waiting on time by the ship holding a sign with my name on it. They took us to Bruges - about a 20-30 minute ride depending on weather and traffic - and dropped us in a corner of the main square. They picked us up at the same spot at the appointed return time. We appreciated the promptness of their service and the drivers were very friendly. We very much enjoyed our visit in Bruges.

Dimitri Hernou

Rony’s Taxi’s bvba

rony@ronystaxis.com

Tel: +32 50 344 344

Bev

• 10 months later...

We were in Zeebrugge on the Prinsendam on June 5. There were three (yes, three) shuttle buses waiting when we got off the ship. There was no charge for these but I don't know if HAL picked up the charge or if they were provided by the port or towns nearby.

We were dropped across the street from the train station in Blankenberge and after buying tickets (7.2 euros return), we were soon on our way to Brugge. It's a short walk from the train into Brugge, all level walking.

After a few hours admiring the chocolates and incredible buildings, interesting canals, we had a bit of moules, frites and beer, and were on our way back to the train station. We had only a very short wait for the shuttle upon our return to Blankenberge and were on our way back to the ship.

All in all, very easy for us. Sorry to hear it has been so difficult for so many. :(

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the June 18 cruise with Celebrity. We shared an 8-person taxi into town with Rony's Taxi as well (still Euro90 return). Worked really well. Celebrity charges USD15 for transfer to the train station which didn't make sense to us.

Some pictures of Bruges here:

http://effli.wordpress.com/2011/07/10/brugge-or-bruges-belgium-stop-1/

We were on the June 18 cruise with Celebrity. We shared an 8-person taxi into town with Rony's Taxi as well (still Euro90 return). Worked really well. Celebrity charges USD15 for transfer to the train station which didn't make sense to us.

Some pictures of Bruges here:

http://effli.wordpress.com/2011/07/10/brugge-or-bruges-belgium-stop-1/

Thanks so much for the link to your trip report! We're doing the 2 hour Segway Tour, so it was a great surprise to read about your experience! :D

Thanks so much for the link to your trip report! We're doing the 2 hour Segway Tour, so it was a great surprise to read about your experience! :D

You will love it. We booked for two hours as well but when we saw all these chocolate shops but couldn't drop in, and also couldn't take any pictures, we decided to cut it to one hour. It was also a bit cold that day as the sun only came out intermittently. Our ship only docked from 8 to 3 but shops don't open until close to 10:30-11:00.

I guess we should update this topic based on our recent trip (we were in Zebrugge last month). In our case (we were on the Prinsendam) we were prohibited from walking out of the port but the port did provide free shuttle bus service from the ship to Blankenberge (an interesting city in it's own right) which dropped us across the street from the train station. Round trip trains to Brugge cost about 5 Euros which was a much better deal then the cruise line transfer excursion (I think they charged about $58).

Hank

In our case (we were on the Prinsendam) we were prohibited from walking out of the port but the port did provide free shuttle bus service from the ship to Blankenberge . . . .

Hank

Thanks for the update, Hank.

However, unless this has changed also, it is not the 'port' but the cruise line that provides the free shuttle bus. The reason I mention this is that several other cruise lines don't provide the shuttle bus. So, you should not assume right away that it will always be there.

We were on the Eurodam in May. There was a shuttle bus to the train station in Blankenburg. We then took the train to Brugge but had to get a bus from the station into town. If your stay is short, a taxi is the best option. Be sure to take a canal boat ride, walk around this charming city, visti the chocolate shops and the Chocolate Museum, eat mussels and fries, for dessert have a Belgian waffle, visit the church with the Michelangelo sculpture, etc.

We will be on the MSC Poesia in Sept. Does anyone know what cruise terminal we will be docked at. Also, what is the best inexpensive way to get to Brugges without walking more than a mile. Thanks

There will probably be a shuttle bus (it was free on our cruise) to the seaside city of Blankenberge where the bus stops right across the steet from the train station. You can then take the train (runs about once an hour) to Bruges for only a few Euros (round trip). Keep in mind that once you are in Bruges you will need to do some walking in order to enjoy this delightful city. Bruges is a place designed for walking and biking. In fact, the owner of the B&B we recently used, during a trip to Bruges, said he never used a car in, or around, Bruges. He went everywhere on foot or on his bike (this seems to be the norm).

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

We are on the Eurodam in 10 days time. Hopefully there will be a shuttle bus to Blakenberge, as other people on HAL cruises have had.

BUT...just in case they don't

I'm still confused as to where we will dock, and how we get to Blakenberge if there isn't a shuttle bus.

Is it the Swedish Docks that have a tram outside that runs to Blackenberg?

Thanks

We are on the Eurodam in 10 days time. Hopefully there will be a shuttle bus to Blakenberge, as other people on HAL cruises have had.

BUT...just in case they don't

I'm still confused as to where we will dock, and how we get to Blakenberge if there isn't a shuttle bus.

Is it the Swedish Docks that have a tram outside that runs to Blackenberg?

Thanks

Yes - but you are not allowed to walk yourself to the port gate.

We returned by tram and we had to wait at the port gate for a bus before we could be transfered to the ship.

Regards

HeinBloed