Anyone wants to go from Zeebrugge to Bruges? Here are some options:

Yet another mode of transport from Zeebrugge to Bruges: By Bike !

We were on the P&O short cruise last week and we took the shuttle from the ship to Blankenberge At the railway station we were able to hire bicycles for €9.50 with a refundable deposit of €12

You need your passport and would suggest you pay in cash as whichever credit/debit card we used, the railway station machine would not accept them.

Armed with bikes (bike locks are on the bike), we proceeded to the Genetele (sp?) bike route which started conveniently where the shuttle bus had dropped us of. After 5 minutes we left the town and were in beautiful countryside on a mixture of bike paths and country roads (hardly a car in sight the whole time)

The ride to Bruges took about an hour, but we took our time and enjoyed the views. The route is completely flat apart from a bridge over the motorway.

In Bruges, the bike is king, so even on the ring round surrounding Bruges there are purpose built wide cycle lanes so you are never in fear for your life with the other traffic. We cycled round the cobbled lanes of Bruges in the old town had a pleasant coffee and cakes and then set off back to Blankenberge

I didn't measure the route but it was probably about 10 miles each way and countryside for most of that. We are two late forties ladies, not especially fit, but we found the ride a doddle.

We were cycling on a beautiful sunny day in late September, but the beauty is you can decide when you get to the station what to do either get the train or take a bike.

Just an added note, we did not have route maps but there were plenty of other cyclists/pedestrains on the route who were helpful and guided us there

Loobs40 that sounds like a marvelous way to travel in the Low Countries. As you said, if the weather should not be too good, take the train. But a bicycle sure let's you see a lot more.

When you rode around Brugges did you also see the windmills along the old embankment?

BTW what is a 'doddle'?

I saw the windmill on the right but we didn't stop. I have visited Bruges many times so to be honest the Bike ride was the highlight for me rather than the visit to the town

'Doddle' means very easy. So the bike ride was really easy because the route was flat

• 3 weeks later...

I have been to Brugge twice and have used the public transportation system with combinations of city bus, train and tram to the cruise port. I highly recommend that you not rely on a taxi from the city center of Brugge. There are usually too many people with too little time to get back to the ship lined up for the very few taxi's. The Princess cruise line provided a shuttle from the train station to the ship but the service stopped too early for most travelers returning to the ship from the city. The city provides tram service from the train station to the entrance of the port, but be aware there is still at least a 20 minute walk to the ship. A "tram" is what Americans would call a street car. I didn't know that coming from California where there is very little public transportation.

We found the public transportation easy to use but allow at least an hour and a half for your return trip. If you are the least but nervous about trusting yourself- enjoy your trip and take the cruise ship provided tour.

• 2 years later...

Archived