Med Cruising

bjm1068

For past Med cruisers, did you find the attire much more formal than the islands? Just how dressy are informal nights? Would a beaded cocktail dress be too much? My major delimma is for shore excursions. Walking shoes sans orthotics are a must for me. Yuk!

[font=Comic Sans MS]I loved my Med cruise. Everyone will tell you that your shoes will give you away as a tourist in Europe and while I may agree, I knew that on a cruise this port intensive I could not afford to have sore feet. In the end for many of the long days I wore my gym sneakers. It may have looked a bit touristy, but so did my camera, my tour groups, and my "gawking" :eek: at all of the sights! Comfort was key![/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]I have to tell you I hardly remember what others were wearing in the evenings. The only night I felt uncomfortable, DH and I had chosen to skip dinner and did not change into "nice" clothes and in some public places we were underdressed in our shorts and T-shirts. I did not wear much with beading and never felt out of place in a dress/skirt at dinner. Dress up as much as you like - it is fun and a vacation and you need to make yourself happy.[/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Ally[/font]

If there are a lot of Europeans on your ship in the Med, it will be dressier because they tend to really dress to the nines for cruises. A sparkly cocktail dress will look just fine for informal nights. Heck, that dress would work for formal nights also.

Don't worry about your footwear on shore excursions. The worst thing that could happen would be for you to have sore feet on a cruise that's so port intensive. If you're going to be touring in places of worship, remember the rules of no shorts or sleeveless tops for both men and women. I always carry a lightweight shawl or scarf to wrap around my waist or shoulders when entering a church or temple. My gentleman friend always wears the convertible shorts/slacks when touring. That way, once were finished with the church tours, he just zips off the lower portion of the slacks and he's cool and comfortable in shorts.

I went on a Mediterranean cruise and wore flat sandals for all the shore excursions (lots and lots of churches). I wore mostly skirts and tops with sleeves so I wouldn't be refused entry to any cathedrals. Others in the group wore sneakers and pants, some walking shoes with socks, no real trend as everyone does their own thing on shore.

In the dining room, a sparkly dress should be just fine on formal nights. There is quite a variation in clothing even with all the men in suits or tuxes, some women very bare and prom-like and others with shoulders covered and sparkly fabrics on top with black skirt or wide-legged "flyaway" pants. You'll look just fine. Have a wonderful time.

Slinkie
[url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_1_16.gif[/img][/url] Headed for Florida soon!

Thanks, all. We leave on Saturday. Actually, I have formal nights all decided upon, just was wondering about the short beaded dress for an informal night. It is one of those things that I rarely get an opportunity to wear. Of course it doesn't hurt that I've lost 10 lbs. and can once again fit into it. The walking shoes are not an option, but a necessity. Since we will be there in October, there will be little need for shorts. Walking shoes and socks really look dorky with shorts!

Archived