Rough Seas for CB 4/20?

apr68

Hello! I must say that I think I am addicted to this board. Since I read it so often I know that all of you will be able to answer my question.

I have been on a few cruises: RCCL back in 92 and 95(Majesty and Monarch respectively) NCL in 93(Windward) and HAL (Zuiderdam). With the exception of the NCL cruise(Western carribbean) we have never experienced "rough seas" or alot of movement of the ship.

However, I am growing concerned about the number of posts I have read specifically about the CB and the rough seas she encounters. At first I figured that people posting about the movement of the ship had been on trips that were relatively close to hurricane season when I know that cruising is always a toss up(no pun intended :)) But it seems that even people who have recently been on the CB are mentioning the movement of the ship.

I realize that the CB is very large so that may have something to do with it but when we were on the Majesty of the seas it was in July(hurricane season)and it was so smooth we couldn't even tell the ship was moving.

Has anyone out there been on the CB at the end of April(spring break week)? How were the seas? Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this for me!:) :) :)

We just sailed the CB a couple weeks ago. We had cabins A206 & A210, so we were high and almost as far forward as you could go. We felt motion, but nothing that caused any problems. Just a gentle rocking that put you to sleep at night. I seen very few people with patches for sea sickness, at least ones that were visible.

The one thing you need to understand is that from one day to the next, the seas can change. It doesn't have to be hurricane season to encounter rough seas. If there are high seas, the ship is going to move no matter where your cabin is located. Agreed, low and mid ship would probably afford you the least amount of movement, but you will still feel movement.

We have sailed many different times of the year to the Caribbean and even sailing in hurricance season we have found some of the smoothest sailing that can be had. Where other times during so called calm months, we have had rough seas.

It is just best to go prepared (some sort of seasick prevention) no matter when you sail, especially if you are conerned that if the seas become rough, it might really put a damper on your enjoyment.

Best of luck and I hope you have smooth sailing, but this is something you can't predict from day to day or week to week.

The one thing you need to understand is that from one day to the next, the seas can change. It doesn't have to be hurricane season to encounter rough seas. If there are high seas, the ship is going to move no matter where your cabin is located. Agreed, low and mid ship would probably afford you the least amount of movement, but you will still feel movement.

We have sailed many different times of the year to the Caribbean and even sailing in hurricance season we have found some of the smoothest sailing that can be had. Where other times during so called calm months, we have had rough seas.

It is just best to go prepared (some sort of seasick prevention) no matter when you sail, especially if you are conerned that if the seas become rough, it might really put a damper on your enjoyment.

Best of luck and I hope you have smooth sailing, but this is something you can't predict from day to day or week to week.

Yep, she is right!

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/mmm.html?map=wave&animate=1

I completely understand what you are saying. But it does seem like there seems to be more and more reviews from people talking about this ships vibrations, shimmering, shaking movements then any other reviews I've read about other ships. Admittedly I was initially very nervous reading these types of reviews but I have resolved myself to just relax and go with the flow. It's a ship on water so there is bound to be movement. :eek: :)

The CB is one of Princess favorite ships by the cruisers here and that is why you are reading more about her than others.

Yes, we went on her in April to the Eastern Caribbean. We did experience a couple rough sea days however when we did the Western Caribbean in Oct. we felt nothing. It all depends on the seas and it certainly is not the ship itself - she's just popular and aways full. :)

I think any ship sailing down the East Coast could hit rough waters. As the Wikipedia article on the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" puts it, "the cold waters of the Labrador Current ... collide with the warm waters of the Gulf Stream flowing from Caribbean Sea." Collide is a good term for what we felt when we sailed back to Norfolk on a HAL cruise. It was rough--gale force 10 winds and 30-foot seas.

Archived