My Review of Destiny- sailed 3/2 to 3/9/08

shanna349

wow, I am sorry you didn't have a fabulous time on the ship! I was on that same sailing and had an awesome time.

Your pics are beautiful.

I don't know about the stabilizers thing, but the ship had to have been going very very fast between Dominica and Barbados and Barbados and Antigua. I was on the Riviera deck in the front and I could hear the waves crashing around all night. I never experienced that before.

And they didn't have too much of the deck blocked off. In your picture of the block part that is really only enough space for 3 chairs on each level.

I was also able to chat with the maitr'd at dinner. He was a hoot. Unfortunately I had the 830pm dinner, and only went the first 3 nights. After that I didn't want to deal with being there 1/2 the night or was hungry earlier.

I also met the funniest bartender, his name is Hendrik and when he laughed he sounded like woody woodpecker.

wow, I am sorry you didn't have a fabulous time on the ship! I was on that same sailing and had an awesome time.

Your pics are beautiful.

I don't know about the stabilizers thing, but the ship had to have been going very very fast between Dominica and Barbados and Barbados and Antigua. I was on the Riviera deck in the front and I could hear the waves crashing around all night. I never experienced that before.

And they didn't have too much of the deck blocked off. In your picture of the block part that is really only enough space for 3 chairs on each level.

I was also able to chat with the maitr'd at dinner. He was a hoot. Unfortunately I had the 830pm dinner, and only went the first 3 nights. After that I didn't want to deal with being there 1/2 the night or was hungry earlier.

I also met the funniest bartender, his name is Hendrik and when he laughed he sounded like woody woodpecker.

I'm happy you had a good time on the ship. I guess it's just all about what the person experiences; being in the right place, meeting the right people. I'm sad we didn't enjoy the boat, but I'm not sad we went at all- we felt the ports of call were well worth our money spent in the very least.

Thanks for the compliments for the pictures :) Did you find yourself in any of them? LOL I'm still waiting on someone to say- Hey that's me!

Yep, we were going 16 knots all the way to Barbados. We were haulin! Then on the way back from Antigua, we slowed to 5-6 knots. I was trippin out at how much we still felt it. Have you ever cruised before? We have nothing to compare it to.

Actually, in that first picture, we don't understand why but the entire right side had a blockade around it for (what we definitely could recall) seeing it closed down on two occasions, making it inaccessible. Not just 2 or three chairs- the whole port side of that deck. The 2-3 chairs space stayed closed the whole trip.

Again, we loved the bartenders and beverage servers everywhere on the ship, too....and the french gift shop guy was chatty and friendly.

Haha! Lisa lived up to and far exceeded your compliments. She was fantastic- a busy woman, though- she had to rush off during our signing. But we had a completely awesome time at our wedding, and at the other ports of call for that fact- couldn't have been more perfect in Barbados. I guess we just weren't as lucky as others in stateroom staff, servers, etc on the boat... oh well! I have been reading reviews of other ships and comparing them to a lot of Destiny reviews since my return, both good and not-so-good and if we ever do try Carnival again, it won't be Destiny (unless perhaps she gets new staff after her renovation)

What boat are you guys going on in January and what's your itinerary? Despite our vessel experience we are not letting it get us down- we are ready to go cruising again already!

We're doing a 5 night cruise on Inspiration out of Tampa, going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Inspiration just got the Evolutions of Fun overhaul with the new Waterpark and Tampa, from what I've read, looks like a great port to sail from. I'm hoping we have a great experience, especially since the kids are coming along this time!

You should book too and bring your kiddo! :)

At most times only one of the two spa whirlpools on the forward deck was open and it usually contained a large Puerto Rican family with lots of kids in it for hours upon hours. They refused to share and seemed to take pride in watching people walk up with their towels, only to walk away as soon as they realized it was full. I hate rude people like that.

It's amazing how no matter where you sail from, there's always the one rude group hogging the jacuzzis. When we sailed on the Holiday, there was this Texan family (with their 6 kids) in the jacuzzi all the time. They seemed to live in the jacuzzi! Every time you looked, they were in there. The parents would send the kids for food and eat it while in the jacuzzi. Then they would leave the trays sitting there. Talk about bad manners!!

RUSKA.... im sorry, i just realized i failed to mention it. What i meant to say was in the past we never really tip the maitre d's, HOWEVER, this time we did because he came to our table and conversed every night, and we appreciated the service. Thanks for pointing that out though.

We were on the Destiny in December and I agree with everything the OP said. We really enjoyed the cruise and the ports, but the service was not the greatest. Our shower leaked into the cabin on the floor every day and we finally resorted to putting a towel on the floor of the shower to try to soak up the water before it made it to the cabin. Our steward was basically unconcerned. Now, don't misunderstand, we aren't the kind to complain about a funny smell or a stain in the carpet. We go with the flow. But, my overall opinion of the ship is that it needs a bit of a rehab.

I did another cruise in February on another cruiseline and I hate to admit it, but the service and quality was far above what we experienced on the Destiny.

But, with all that said, it is a great ship if you want to visit some awesome ports! Just understand that it is showing wear and it isn't the "friendliest" of ships both from a service standpoint and a passenger standpoint. Overall we really enjoyed the cruise, but it was mainly because of the ports, not because of the ship or the service.

Shanna, This was my 11th cruise (8th on carnival) and I knew going into it that there was going to be things that I would hate, so I decided that I was going to have a blast no matter what.

I hate buffet food and lines, but didn't want to go to formal dinner, so had to deal. I hate debarcation and it lived up to my worst nightmare. I didn't get off until 1230, and on deck they were drilling something for hours and I went downstairs to be greeted by screaming children. (great for the mild hangover!)

I really hate icky public restrooms, so on days at sea, I just make sure to give myself plenty of time to get from lido deck to either my room or another deck that might not be so crowded. (not an issue this cruise)

I love to people watch and end up talking to tons of people in the crew and hearing about them and why they decided to join a ship.

I have read so many of the reviews of this ship for the past 2 years. (I was on it in Aug of 2006 also) and I wonder what I missed sometimes!

In Aug 2006, I didn't notice tons of puerto rican people. I noticed some this time, but I really noticed alot of families from Quebec. (I finally found out they were on Spring break up there) Maybe because of living here in DC I am so used to hearing tons of languages spoken that I don't notice them!

Anyway, I don't mean to babble on and I hope that you try Carnival again. I think that some of the issues that you had, you will see on all the cruise lines.

I am going to look at your pics again to see if I am in any of them...

congratulations on your wedding, I hope you have a fabulous forever together!!!!!

And sorry for the Double post, but I wonder if people think the "service" isn't so great is because of all the ports? Usually when there is a day at sea you get to know the wait staff and everyone a bit better. All these days at sea, you get up and dash off the ship. THere isn't anytime to talk to people.

I found everyone to be super fun and friendly. I even told rayna in the wine bar how to get a discount coupon at Macys in PR.

And I took 2 cruises on Norwegian, and I didn't find the crew to be any better or worse than on any Carnival ship I was on. I actually thought the waiters in the restaurant are better than Norwegian.

We were on the Destiny in December and I agree with everything the OP said. We really enjoyed the cruise and the ports, but the service was not the greatest. Our shower leaked into the cabin on the floor every day and we finally resorted to putting a towel on the floor of the shower to try to soak up the water before it made it to the cabin. Our steward was basically unconcerned. Now, don't misunderstand, we aren't the kind to complain about a funny smell or a stain in the carpet. We go with the flow. But, my overall opinion of the ship is that it needs a bit of a rehab.

I did another cruise in February on another cruiseline and I hate to admit it, but the service and quality was far above what we experienced on the Destiny.

But, with all that said, it is a great ship if you want to visit some awesome ports! Just understand that it is showing wear and it isn't the "friendliest" of ships both from a service standpoint and a passenger standpoint. Overall we really enjoyed the cruise, but it was mainly because of the ports, not because of the ship or the service.

THANK YOU

I was about to think I had lost my mind or was being too harsh, but I seriously felt the exact same way about the Destiny. Great experience at the ports of call, just not a ship I care to put my money on again. Maybe it is just the ship and her crew..I'll give it that much and perhaps sail Carnival again someday- but not Destiny- at least not until she gets a major makeover...staff included.

And sorry for the Double post, but I wonder if people think the "service" isn't so great is because of all the ports? Usually when there is a day at sea you get to know the wait staff and everyone a bit better. All these days at sea, you get up and dash off the ship. THere isn't anytime to talk to people.

I found everyone to be super fun and friendly. I even told rayna in the wine bar how to get a discount coupon at Macys in PR.

And I took 2 cruises on Norwegian, and I didn't find the crew to be any better or worse than on any Carnival ship I was on. I actually thought the waiters in the restaurant are better than Norwegian.

Perhaps you are right. Maybe all those ports of call are as exhausting to the staff as they are to the passengers... but there should have been no excuse for the multiple poor service encounters I personally had: no excuse for my husband's request for the room to be decorated to be missed, no excuse for our room repairs to go blatantly ignored, no excuse to put a non-english speaking staff member at the purser's desk.... I'm sounding like a broken record, so I'm not going to continue. Thank you for your feedback.

It's amazing how no matter where you sail from, there's always the one rude group hogging the jacuzzis. When we sailed on the Holiday, there was this Texan family (with their 6 kids) in the jacuzzi all the time. They seemed to live in the jacuzzi! Every time you looked, they were in there. The parents would send the kids for food and eat it while in the jacuzzi. Then they would leave the trays sitting there. Talk about bad manners!!

Hay, I'm from Texas! Are you being racist? (insert your humor here)

I have been on 11 Carnival Cruises. You can go on a cruise and have Motion it depends on the seas. You are on a ship. Did your cabin steward not clean your room or turn down the beds? The light issue sounds more like a problem with the ship maint staff. Why take it out on the cabin steward and waitstaff. They work long hours and and on the ships for months. Removing their tips seems real petty to me. You should have send a letter to the President of Canival instead!

I'm happy you had a good time on the ship. I guess it's just all about what the person experiences; being in the right place, meeting the right people. I'm sad we didn't enjoy the boat, but I'm not sad we went at all- we felt the ports of call were well worth our money spent in the very least.

Thanks for the compliments for the pictures :) Did you find yourself in any of them? LOL I'm still waiting on someone to say- Hey that's me!

Yep, we were going 16 knots all the way to Barbados. We were haulin! Then on the way back from Antigua, we slowed to 5-6 knots. I was trippin out at how much we still felt it. Have you ever cruised before? We have nothing to compare it to.

Actually, in that first picture, we don't understand why but the entire right side had a blockade around it for (what we definitely could recall) seeing it closed down on two occasions, making it inaccessible. Not just 2 or three chairs- the whole port side of that deck. The 2-3 chairs space stayed closed the whole trip.

Again, we loved the bartenders and beverage servers everywhere on the ship, too....and the french gift shop guy was chatty and friendly.

Did your cabin steward not clean your room or turn down the beds? The light issue sounds more like a problem with the ship maint staff. Why take it out on the cabin steward and waitstaff. They work long hours and and on the ships for months. Removing their tips seems real petty to me. You should have send a letter to the President of Canival instead!

This has already been discussed in this forum.

I wasn't trying to HURT the cruise line. What is your problem? Do you get off stepping into forums, picking one small detail out of a review and commenting on it to tick people off? It was my decision, I'm done with it. That's called trolling.

no you are wrong, the commentor was correct...i read your review and i thought dropping the tips was petty and very short sighted on your part

RUSKA.... im sorry, i just realized i failed to mention it. What i meant to say was in the past we never really tip the maitre d's, HOWEVER, this time we did because he came to our table and conversed every night, and we appreciated the service. Thanks for pointing that out though.

LOL..I thought I had misread or missed another posts..thanks I thought I was going crazy or groggy from the drugs, I had surgery on Monday...whew...we never tip the maitre d either unless they do visit the table often or go out of their way to be helpful. We had the maitre d make cherries jubilee in a huge pan in the dining room one evening and actually serve it to passengers. He made bananas foster another evening and served that alkso. He got a nice tip for that. Cruising just aint what it used to be;)

no you are wrong, the commentor was correct...i read your review and i thought dropping the tips was petty and very short sighted on your part

So, let me get this straight- you're saying I'm short sighted for not tipping for a service I did not receive, nor was impressed with, correct?

So, let me get this straight- you're saying I'm short sighted for not tipping for a service I did not receive, nor was impressed with, correct?

yes, pulling the entire tip b/c you did not get your expected towell animal is harsh....the stewards live on that.....

and i know your decorations were not there, but ease up on the hard working folks

yes, pulling the entire tip b/c you did not get your expected towell animal is harsh....the stewards live on that.....

and i know your decorations were not there, but ease up on the hard working folks

We had numerous problems with our steward- I know that decorating thing wasn't their fault- hell, I don't even know exactly WHO my room steward was. I'm not tipping someone who couldn't fulfill our request for an extra pillow or for our toilet paper to be refilled. We initially blamed on the steward being busy, but I really think we just got the bad luck of the draw. I wasn't impressed with service and tipping is a choice made based on that impression, is it not?

I don't know where you came from but I don't tip unless service is great, and it wasn't great for me and my DH. I don't tip because I feel sorry for someone for the career they chose, or base an assumption that they are paid very little. Work in the service industry, provide great service and you will get tipped- isn't that the premise of "tipping"?

I'm so done with this conversation, and feel like I'm defending my decision to not tip. It boils down to this: you didn't have my room, you weren't there to experience my experiences, and you didn't make the decision. I really wish that people would stop flaming me for making that decision and know that I felt compelled enough not to tip, that's MY review of the service aboard Destiny's ship.

Until they add the tips into the price of the cruise, it is OPTIONAL. If someone wants to reduce or even not tip at all, that is their choice. We all know that the cruise staff depends on those tips, but that doesn't mean we have to tip if we feel the service wasn't as it should be.

I support the OP's right to choose how much or whether to pay tips, regardless of whether I agree with her decision. :)

Until they add the tips into the price of the cruise, it is OPTIONAL. If someone wants to reduce or even not tip at all, that is their choice. We all know that the cruise staff depends on those tips, but that doesn't mean we have to tip if we feel the service wasn't as it should be.

I support the OP's right to choose how much or whether to pay tips, regardless of whether I agree with her decision. :)

Absolutely! It's not a service charge. It is a gratuity..........

I have no reason to doubt or even care to doubt her decision. Afterall I was not in her shoes.

Does anyone know which side of the ship would be best to be on (for good views while in dock?) Thanks, Rlyans

Sorry to hijack your thread, Shanna! :)

Honestly, you can't really say with any certainty. It depends on where the ship pulls in and how they pull in. Sometimes it's even backwards! :)

We sailed on the Destiny Feb. 17th and loved everything about the cruise! Your pictures are GREAT. Thanks for sharing them. In regards to the tipping along with the comment card....it should make the workers think about what is required as part of their job. Hopefully the next cruise they work - they will be a little more consciencous about doing the little extras to make the customers feel "well taken care of" on the ship. It is not fair that a cruise employee who goes out of his way to make you feel like a king or a queen gets the same tip as someone who barely does his job. Our cabin stewert didn't speak much English either BUT made it an appoint to knock on our door to introduce himself and every time we seen him in the hall he always said "hi Mr.Jim or hi Miss Renee" and in his very broken English he would take such an interest in us.Some how we were able to comminicate together.We were very impressed and it showed with our tip!! Maybe not tipping or tipping less will be a learning expeirence and motivate them to work harder the next time around. If not, then maybe they are in the wrong field. I don't want to come off as being harsh because I am not ... I am the biggest softy there is. But I am in a custumer service field, and I know how important it is to go a little bit above the standard expectation. When you do a real good job both the customer and you are satisfied...in most cases!

Archived