Dressing up for Celebrity Vigin cruiser

namklov

I am taking a cruise on Summit on 3/22. I have been on about 10 cruises but never on Celebrity. I really like Norwegian's less formal approach to meals and dressing, so I am not to sure what to expect from this cruise. I have read that people have been turned away from dining rooms because their attire was not appropriate for formal and semi formal nights. I don't plan on showing up in capris or short skirts, but do I have to wear a dress on these nights. I plan on black pants and dressier tips. IS that OK? Is there really that much of adifference between what is worn on formal nights and what is worn on semi formal nights? Please help, I am running out of time and the group I am traveling with is in a panic!!!!!

I am taking a cruise on Summit on 3/22. I have been on about 10 cruises but never on Celebrity. I really like Norwegian's less formal approach to meals and dressing, so I am not to sure what to expect from this cruise. I have read that people have been turned away from dining rooms because their attire was not appropriate for formal and semi formal nights. I don't plan on showing up in capris or short skirts, but do I have to wear a dress on these nights. I plan on black pants and dressier tips. IS that OK? Is there really that much of adifference between what is worn on formal nights and what is worn on semi formal nights? Please help, I am running out of time and the group I am traveling with is in a panic!!!!!

Well I guess if you were to do dressier tip, the dinning room staff would look the other way. :p ;)

There does seem to be a difference between the two. dress pants and a nice top is common from semi-formal. Think business meeting type clothing. For formal it's more a wedding type clothing.

That being said, I have seen all types of clothing in the dinning rooms at the different settings.

Yes, you'll see a nice difference from formal to semi formal. I remember years ago (10+) the TA told us think "church clothes" for semi formal and "fancy wedding clothes" for formal. Of course nowadays what I see at each of those situations can be downright casual.

In reality you will see lots of cocktail dresses, long flowy pants with fancy tops and long skirts/dresses on formal night. Semi will be dresses, skirts or nice pants outfits. You would NEVER be turned away from any dinner if you were wearing a nice pants outfit. What WOULD get you turned away is shorts or capris on formal night.

Not to worry...1,000 people in the dining room, 1,000 different outfits. As a previous poster stated, you would never be turned away unless you were wearing blatantly casual attire...t-shirt & cargo pants, jeans, shorts, etc. (and maybe not even then!!)

I live in the wild west, where jeans are the order of the day. I haven't worn a dress in years! I usually wear some dressy black velvet pants on formal nights with lacy or sparkly tops and have never felt uncomfortably underdressed. I have seen women in what I consider to be "ball gowns" that seem OVERdressed to me--with the boas draping on the floor, etc. Overkill, IMO!

Have fun!

I live in the wild west, where jeans are the order of the day. I haven't worn a dress in years! I usually wear some dressy black velvet pants on formal nights with lacy or sparkly tops and have never felt uncomfortably underdressed. I have seen women in what I consider to be "ball gowns" that seem OVERdressed to me--with the boas draping on the floor, etc. Overkill, IMO!

Have fun!

Dressing to match the dress code is overkill? If my husband is wearing a tuxedo, I would certainly feel underdressed in black velvet pants and a sparkly top.

I wear floor length evening gowns on formal night and cocktail dresses on informal nights. I think that is perfectly appropriate and certainly not overdressed.

No, I'm not talking about floor length gowns in general, I am talking about over-the-top (in my opinion only) gowns with long trains, etc. It's not the Academy Awards! I suspect if everyone dressed to the hilt, I would be inclined to--but after what I saw on my recent X trip, where some ladies came dressed in clothes I suspect they also wore to the grocery store, I personally feel more comfortable in something downplayed. I prefer not to stand out either for being overdressed or underdressed--but I would rather see a passenger going more formal than non.

This is just my opinion--and I realize that a lot of people welcome the opportunity to dress up. More power to y'all!

I suspect if everyone dressed to the hilt, I would be inclined to--but after what I saw on my recent X trip, where some ladies came dressed in clothes I suspect they also wore to the grocery store, I personally feel more comfortable in something downplayed.

I know what you mean, but I still like to be one of the people dressed to the hilt in a get-up that would never be caught dead in the vicinity of a grocery cart.:D

Archived