Livorno - Things to do

Hi - we visited the Livorno port two years ago and went to Lucca for lunch and then Pisa and had a wonderful day. We're going back and are wondering what other little towns, etc. we can visit. We're with our 11 yo daughter and since we're going into Rome on the train the following day, really don't want to do that here. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Robin G

Robin, Med cruises can really be physically difficult (its good to take a vacation after a Med cruise) but its also a lot of fun. Sometimes its just makes the most sense to suffer through a few exhausting days and catch-up with rest (and great memories) at a later date. The Civitavecchia - Livorno back-to-back days on many cruises are really killers, but also full of great rewards. My suggestion is that you take a deep breath and go to Florence. Yes, its going to be two long days, but Florence is one of the best tourist cities in the world and worth the effort. If you use the ships transportation, you do get to relax on the bus ride (about 1:20 each way). The alternative of taking the train will save you lots of money (about $150) and is a lot of fun. If you avoid taking the exhausting tour, you can spend some extra time having lunch in an outdoor cafe, sample gelato at several places (its the best gelato in the world) and just soak up the great Florence atmosphere.

Hank

I agree with Hank. Florence is just a marvelous city. One of our favorites. We wanted to go back when we were at Livorno; but had to take a tour of the lovely towns in Tuscany, since we had not done them before. The next time we are in Italy, we will return to Florence.

Florence is my favorite city in the world. That said, another interesting choice to to check out the small towns and scenery north of Lucca. This is a lovely part of Italy with very few foreign tourists.

This area is called Garfagnana. Local trains travel throughout the area connecting to the main line in Lucca.

If I were stuck in Livorno, this would be my choice. But then, I go to Florence rather often and usually spend about a week there.

Paul

This area is called Garfagnana. Local trains travel throughout the area connecting to the main line in Lucca.

Paul

Thanks everyone - isn't it great having such "difficult" decisions as this! :rolleyes: Paul, can we take a train from the port and head toward this Garfagnana area?

Robin

Thanks everyone - isn't it great having such "difficult" decisions as this! :rolleyes: Paul, can we take a train from the port and head toward this Garfagnana area?

Robin

Sure. Livorno to Pisa. Some trains go directly from there to the area; usually, though, you need to transfer at Lucca. Castel nuovo di Garfagnana is one of the towns.. look for it on the train schedules.

The bad news is that these are slow trains. Driving is a good way to go if you are comfortable doing so in Italy.

Paul

Like Paul, we travel quite a lot in Italy (will be there again in early May and again in October) and also love the smaller towns and villages. However, using trains is not always a great idea during a port day because you are going to spend a lot of time just waiting for trains. And you will also need to get a taxi to take you to and from the train station in Livorno. Renting a car does make a lot of sense if you are willing to drive in Italy (we have been doing this for over 20 years). With a car, there is a whole country that opens-up to the tourist. Besides the Garfagnana area there is a lot of Tuscany that can be reached on a day trip including the entire area between Florence and Siena (our favorite part of Tuscany) which includes towns like San Gimiganano and Volterra, not to mention Siena. With the ability to get a rental car at the pier (Maxirent does this) you can be miles from the port before others can even find a taxi. Another option (although this is very expensive) is to hire a car/driver for the day. Keep in mind that a rental car will normally cost you about $100 - $130 a day, but if you have 4 it becomes a very economical way to see the countryside (trains do not go everywhere). One thing about renting cars,,,,it really is helpful if you can drive a stick shift. You will pay a huge premium to get a car with an automatic transmission.

Hank

Hi, Thanks for the infor. How to compare the Cinque Terre with the San Gimiganano, Siena and Volterra? I still cannot make up my mind. We're arriving Livorno in Apr. 25. Thinking of joining the ship shorex or private tour.

Thanks, grace

A lot of us from my roll call (20+)are taking the train to Florence from Livorno and I am wondering if it is difficult to get a taxi once we get off the ship. We are all planning on meeting very early in the morning so we can get off as soon as they allow us and then head over to the station.

Does anyone have any ideas if the taxis are vans and can hold more passengers as we could certainly share the rides. Any idea of the cost? Also is it easy to get a taxi back from the station late afternoon, early evening? Any information I can gather could certainly help our group.

Thank you.

Vicki

Regarding the taxis, it is true that most will not take you to the station. But, if you hold your ground and keep asking for a taxi to the local station, somebody will do the run. Regarding the comparison of San Gimignano, Volterra, and Siena, they are totally different. Siena is a relatively large city with an old town core that is quite interesting with a very large square. Volterra is a smaller town that we enjoy when we are spending a few days in Tuscany...and is famous for their tall, skinny statutes that are sold everywhere. San Gimignano is a walled town (used in the filming of "Tea with Mussolini") which mainly consists of one main street full of shops, restaurants, and lots of history. San Gimignano is also called the Manhattan of Tuscany because of the ancient stone towers of which a few still stand in the town. Keep in mind that you pretty much need a car to get to any of those towns from Livorno (although its theoretically possible to go to Siena on a train).

Hank

Archived