Question on these 9a wraps?

janeke2

Oh I am sure there are threads about this subject. However, what is wrong with this thread?

First of all, you are referring only to the aft corner cabins on eight ships, all belonging to Carnival. Three Destiny class (Destiny, Triumph & Victory) and five Conquest class (Conquest, Glory, Valor, Liberty & Freedom).

Do other ships have aft corner cabin with a wrap-around balcony? Yes, but they are not designated 9A. They exist on other lines and they exist on other Carnival ships (most notably the cat 11 cabins on the four Spirit class ships).

But you are just asking about the 9A balconies. Here is a picture of one on the Carnival Glory ...

7440cat9Abalcony.jpg

From this one balcony, which wraps around the cabin, you can see both along the rear and the along the side. In other words you have a 270 degree field of view.

Here is an exterior view of the Carnival Valor ...

2140597190037047424S600x600Q85.jpg

A typical balcony only provides a 180 degree field of view. Because of the extended size, shape and location of these balconies, you get a 270 degree field of view.

Please note, on the four Spirit class ships a 9A cabin is on the side of the ship. The wrap-around balconies on Spirit class ships are cat 11 cabins.

Those are some nice balconies!! Thank you so much for the lovely pictures and explanation. I just wasn't sure if it was ok to ask that question unless I was in the threads on "cabin selection tips", so I posted in both places!;) I enjoyed a Cat 11 balcony on the Liberty in late January (room 7238) and had never even had a balcony before! We were MOST impressed and delighted! But these aft wrap/corner balconies are so cool! Are they hard to get and/or super pricey??

Thanks!

Janet in sunny So. Calif

Those are some nice balconies!! Thank you so much for the lovely pictures and explanation. I just wasn't sure if it was ok to ask that question unless I was in the threads on "cabin selection tips", so I posted in both places!;) I enjoyed a Cat 11 balcony on the Liberty in late January (room 7238) and had never even had a balcony before! We were MOST impressed and delighted! But these aft wrap/corner balconies are so cool! Are they hard to get and/or super pricey??

Thanks!

Janet in sunny So. Calif

The 9As do cost more than a cat 8 cabins. However, the cat 11 wraps (Spirit class) cost the same as any other cat 11 cabin on the Spirit class ships.

Because there are so few (six on each of the ships where 9A is the wrap balcony) and because so many people want them, they can be hard to get. On the Spirit class there are ten, so they are a little easier to get.

On the Spirit class the "suite" cabin on the corners there are 10 but the ones on deck 5 are not like the other cat 11-- if the only option was a deck 5 cabin or one in the middle of the ship--- take the one in the middle for the money.

cat 9a cost less then a cat 11 suite but usually much more then the cat 8 cabins.

But when requesting-- make sure you are requesting the corner-- some ships have 9As on the side too (again spirit class has those located by the aft elevators

Thanks!

Janet in sunny So. Calif

I think the price of a 9A aft wrap depends on the ship. DH and I booked an aft wrap on the Triumph (Empress deck, so cabins below and above) in early Dec 08 (really cheap time to cruise - after Thanksgiving and way before Christmas) for under $2000 total. That's after taxes and fees. I think that's a pretty good deal myself...(And as far as 'hard to get,' we booked 2 weeks ago and got the last Empress aft wrap, so you will want to plan ahead. Verandah aft wrap is still available, but we will not book a cabin directly under the Lido...) We've had ocean-view cabins, balconies (where we paid similar prices), and we've booked a Cat 11 - (never again as we had Chucky and his siblings next to us. :rolleyes:) But, I like the idea of getting a HUGE balcony for less than the cost of a suite, as I love my quiet balcony breakfast and pre-dinner drinks, as well as having my own little place to sit and read and watch the ocean. Call me a balcony snob if you will...:D So I guess it depends on if you need a newer ship or not - me, I don't care what ship it is, as long as the price is right and I'm cruising with a balcony! :D

I too am a 9a snob, have had this type of cabin twice and currently have one booked on the Liberty in Sept 08. This is the best cabin and balcony on the ship, love the added space it is like having an extra room. Yes it is not the cheapest way to cruise but I am worth it, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky you on the Triumph in early December! I will definitely look at a 9a in the future (especially at less traveled times). We are doing the Triumph in late Oct 2008. I am very glad to again have a balcony, even without it being a suite. The balcony is more important to me than the room inside. I will keep in mind what you said about the Verandah deck being not as desirable due to it's being under Lido and will look at Empress instead. Thanks for all of the helpful info!

I too have become a 9A snob ;) I will book well over a year in advance to insure I get the cabin I want. We spend a great deal of time on our balcony. We prefer it there over the public areas around the pool. (Our children are older now so taking them to the pool and spending time is no longer necessary.) They are great for sailing away, getting some sun, and hosting great parties!

2834083990064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived