Boston Port Hotels

SKP57

Hi Everyone

Going on a cruise out of Boston and flying in the day before need info on hotels near the port. Any suggestions.

There is the Sheraton at the airport. There is also the Marriot Long Wharf right next to the New England Aqarium amd within walking distance of Fanueil Hall and the North End. Marriot is very pricey,though. You can get a trolley tour of Boston almost right outside of the Aquarium. It depends on what you're looking for. If you're just looking for someplace to stay,go with something less expensive. If you want to sightsee the day before your cruise, go with something more in the heart of Boston. Of course there is also the Copley Plaza Hotel.VERY pricey.

There are others on these boards from the Boston area who may have other hotels in mind. Or Google Boston hotels.

There is a Westin Hotel very close to Black Falcon Cruise Terminal. Quincy is not City of Boston. It is a bit of a ride....not really far but definitely inconvenient to seeing or doing anything in Boston overnight. Parking and driving in Boston are pricy and not easy. If you don't know the city, it is not among the easiest to find your way around.

we stayed at the Westin after a cruise last year. It was good. direct bus line that picks up across the street to downtown boston. metro is about a 5 or 10 minute walk. Nice bar/restaurant on the water just past the metro.

the night before the cruise we stayed in quincy. Best Western Adams Inn. It had a shuttle from the airport and to the cruise. http://www.bwadamsinn.com/amenities.html

We got in late and did not have that much time in the morning before we went to the cruise. nice clean room at a decent price.

100_6304.jpg.b5c69103c62e064631500b9965a17441.jpg

You can try to get a deal on Hotels.com.

If you want to be near the Black Falcon Terminal (where the cruise ships come in), there is the Westin and Seaport Hotels, both on the pricey side, but like I said, you may get a good deal online for one night.

You can stay at the hotels at the airport, like the Hilton and Hyatt and then take a water taxi over to the cruise terminal.

If you do decided to stay outside the city (like Quincy), you may have to take a cab back into the city (or the T if its close by) back into the city, which can be a pain (especially during the traffic times).

Be aware, there are two Westin Hotels in Boston. The newer one is closer to the port. The other, Westin Copley, is in Back Bay.

This is a great location for catching the T (subway) and sightseeing but not as close to the port.

There is a Westin Hotel very close to Black Falcon Cruise Terminal. Quincy is not City of Boston. It is a bit of a ride....not really far but definitely inconvenient to seeing or doing anything in Boston overnight. Parking and driving in Boston are pricy and not easy. If you don't know the city, it is not among the easiest to find your way around.

While the City of Quincy is not IN Boston if someone was staying at the Best Western it would be a 2 minute walk to the North Quincy train station. You could be in Boston in less than 5 minutes.

• 4 months later...
You can try to get a deal on Hotels.com.

If you want to be near the Black Falcon Terminal (where the cruise ships come in), there is the Westin and Seaport Hotels, both on the pricey side, but like I said, you may get a good deal online for one night.

You can stay at the hotels at the airport, like the Hilton and Hyatt and then take a water taxi over to the cruise terminal.

If you do decided to stay outside the city (like Quincy), you may have to take a cab back into the city (or the T if its close by) back into the city, which can be a pain (especially during the traffic times).

How do you do a water taxi with all your luggage? Is there a Marriott at the airport?

ML

S7S...Amtrak...Is the Boston South Station closest to the cruise terminal? Would the Westin be somewhere in between or would you recommend another hotel? Thanks. ;)

Boston South Station is closest to the cruise terminal. Both the Westin Convention Center and Seaport Hotels are between South Station and the Black Falcon Pier. However, there is really nothing interesting in that part of the city.

Have you checked the prices of other hotels? Boston is a small city and almost any hotel will be a short cab ride to the pier. The advantage of being more downtown is that you can walk almost anywhere you want to go.

If you are considering staying at the Best Western Adams Inn in Quincy, Mass … cancel your reservation! Here’s why:

We checked in on July 3 and checked out the next morning because: the beds are old and sagging; the sheets were dirty, the sheets did not fit the mattress, and they were un-ironed and wrinkled; the pillows were old and smelly; the bathroom tile floor was sticky; the shower temperature knob was inaccurate which caused the shower to be too cold or too hot; the laundry room had dead bugs; the laundry folding table was filthy; the detergent machine was broken; the breakfast consisted of stale-tasting sweet rolls and canned fruit juice; the check-in manager was surly; the hotel is located next to a vet/kennel and the dogs bark most of the night; there is nothing nearby to walk to; and the hotel is very overpriced.

We had reserved this hotel for 2 nights, but checked out after the first night because it was so unpleasant. The hotel did offer to put us in a “suite” for the second night, but I wasn’t willing to chance another night with no sleep. We were in room 315.

This Best Western is overpriced and not worth it. :mad: Try the Boston DoubleTree at Bayside for $125 or the Embassy Suites at Logan airport for $149. Either of those will be a $20 taxi ride to the Black Falcon terminal … that’s only $10 per person.

-Liz

Lizbeth - sorry to hear about your bad experience at the Best Western. We will let others know about it.

We'd love to hear about everyone's experiences in the various hotels and motels, particularly the ones at the airport.

Boston South Station is closest to the cruise terminal. Both the Westin Convention Center and Seaport Hotels are between South Station and the Black Falcon Pier. However, there is really nothing interesting in that part of the city.

Have you checked the prices of other hotels? Boston is a small city and almost any hotel will be a short cab ride to the pier. The advantage of being more downtown is that you can walk almost anywhere you want to go.

Thanks. Just checking for possible future plans. ;)

We stayed at the Westin Convention Center. It's a lovely hotel but there isn't much around there.

It was convenient to the port and a cab ride was approx. 6.00. from the hotel to Black Falcon.

I would have preferred staying closer to the city such as the Park Plaza, etc. but the person I was cruising with chose this hotel.

It was easy to hop on the Boston transit for touring but again at another location we probably could have walked to some of our destinations.

Hi Boston travelers,

First of all, thank goodness, someone finally gave a recent perspective on the conditions of the Best Western in Quincy. As a local, I always cringe when I see that someone is staying there...it's in a ugly part of Quincy, which is not Boston to begin with and is inconvenient to walking and immersing yourself in the wonderful city of Boston.

Anyway, I think another great and convenient hotel option is the Hyatt Harborside, which is on the Logan Airport grounds. There is a free shuttle to or from the airport terminals to the Hyatt and you could take a water taxi to Black Falcon (what fun -- to take a boat to your ship...kinda like in Venice Italy....well, not really?!) Cruise Terminal. You could. of course, also take a quick taxi (land) too.

This Hyatt, sits right on Boston Harbor with many rooms (well half of them) sporting one of the best views of the Boston Harbor and skyline you could ask for. You can take a water taxi or the Harbor Express boat across the harbor to dine or sightsee (or a 5-10 min taxi ride). Also, the rates are often much less than comparable hotels in Boston proper.

Happy Planning,

Lynne

Hi Boston travelers,

First of all, thank goodness, someone finally gave a recent perspective on the conditions of the Best Western in Quincy. As a local, I always cringe when I see that someone is staying there...it's in a ugly part of Quincy, which is not Boston to begin with and is inconvenient to walking and immersing yourself in the wonderful city of Boston.

Anyway, I think another great and convenient hotel option is the Hyatt Harborside, which is on the Logan Airport grounds. There is a free shuttle to or from the airport terminals to the Hyatt and you could take a water taxi to Black Falcon (what fun -- to take a boat to your ship...kinda like in Venice Italy....well, not really?!) Cruise Terminal. You could. of course, also take a quick taxi (land) too.

This Hyatt, sits right on Boston Harbor with many rooms (well half of them) sporting one of the best views of the Boston Harbor and skyline you could ask for. You can take a water taxi or the Harbor Express boat across the harbor to dine or sightsee (or a 5-10 min taxi ride). Also, the rates are often much less than comparable hotels in Boston proper.

Happy Planning,

Lynne

Hi Lynne,

Hotwire has the Hyatt for $99 a night for next spring/summer. I just booked two nights precruise there. I'm taking the train from NYC to Boston, Southstation -- with a couple of cruise bags do you think I could take the Metro to the airport, where I know the Hyatt shuttle will take us to the hotel?

Thanks for all the info!:)

Kel

Montanabound - I found the Boston Water Taxi quoting $20 for 1 person and $30 for 2 people. http://www.citywatertaxi.com/ This is a small little boat, which is fine, but may not be the best choice if you have luggage. A cab to Black falcon would be in the same price range and would be more "door to door".

Kel - Yes - you can easily get to the airport on the Silver Line from South Station. That is one of the major reasons they built it and many many people do it in order to save the cost of a cab or the hassle of driving to Logan.

Just to confirm - you did book the Hyatt AIRPORT for $99? There is another Hyatt downtown that is more centrally located and might be better for a pre-cruise stay.

To get to the airport, in South Station you take the escalator down to the Red Line/Silver Line station (there is also an elevator, but it is not so convenient). You use a credit card or cash to buy a ticket - $2 pp. When you get through the gates the elevator should be on your right. The middle button is the Silver Line platform. When you get off the elevator you go to your left down the platform to the waiting area for the SL1 airport bus, which runs at least every 15 minutes. These buses have a low step almost even with the curb. Inside they have luggage racks and seats - very much like an airport car rental shuttle, but bigger. It is easy to get on and stow your luggage - don't worry about it - no one will steal it. At Logan you can just get off and find the shuttle to the hotel. It should somewhere in the same area, but you might want to check with the hotel as to which terminal might be best. Terminal C/D is probably the worst, so don't do that one.

FYI - another of the Silver Lines (I think SL2) goes to the Black Falcon Terminal, so you may be game to do that as well.

Montanabound - I found the Boston Water Taxi quoting $20 for 1 person and $30 for 2 people. http://www.citywatertaxi.com/ This is a small little boat, which is fine, but may not be the best choice if you have luggage. A cab to Black falcon would be in the same price range and would be more "door to door".

Kel - Yes - you can easily get to the airport on the Silver Line from South Station. That is one of the major reasons they built it and many many people do it in order to save the cost of a cab or the hassle of driving to Logan.

Just to confirm - you did book the Hyatt AIRPORT for $99? There is another Hyatt downtown that is more centrally located and might be better for a pre-cruise stay.

To get to the airport, in South Station you take the escalator down to the Red Line/Silver Line station (there is also an elevator, but it is not so convenient). You use a credit card or cash to buy a ticket - $2 pp. When you get through the gates the elevator should be on your right. The middle button is the Silver Line platform. When you get off the elevator you go to your left down the platform to the waiting area for the SL1 airport bus, which runs at least every 15 minutes. These buses have a low step almost even with the curb. Inside they have luggage racks and seats - very much like an airport car rental shuttle, but bigger. It is easy to get on and stow your luggage - don't worry about it - no one will steal it. At Logan you can just get off and find the shuttle to the hotel. It should somewhere in the same area, but you might want to check with the hotel as to which terminal might be best. Terminal C/D is probably the worst, so don't do that one.

FYI - another of the Silver Lines (I think SL2) goes to the Black Falcon Terminal, so you may be game to do that as well.

Thanks 138east!

Super info -- so is the Silver line a bus or a train? Doesn't matter, and thanks so much for the help.:)

Kel

We're doing the same thing - flying in the night before our cruise. I named my own price and got a very good deal at the airport Hilton. How much is the water taxi, and how long does it take to get to the pier via water taxi?

What are you paying for the Hilton?

ML

Archived