Terminal 5 at Heathrow -- merged discussion

TLCOhio

With the headline in UK Indpependent newspaper of "Disastrous opening day for Terminal 5", the below story highlights that things didn't go well in London today. The lead sentence: "Heathrow's new £4.3 billion showcase terminal suffered a disastrous opening day today with flights cancelled, luggage delayed and long queues."

Among a few other details: "BA was forced to cancel 34 short-haul and domestic flights and had to admit that despite lots of rehearsals there had been a problem with 'staff familiarisation with the terminal'. But even from early morning, some passengers were moaning. They said that the road signs were not clear outside the terminal and that they were given wrong directions once inside."

Be thankful if you are NOT going through Heathrow now. Hopefully it gets much improved by summer! Terry in Ohio

"Be thankful if you are NOT going through Heathrow now. Hopefully it gets much improved by summer! Terry in Ohio"

Yes bad day at T5 - But no problems at the other Terminals ( AA-Virgin-United use )

jj.......

British Airways was SUPPOSED to have checked this all out. They didn't. I landed at Changi Airport, Singapore, the day after it opened. It was smooth as silk. Too much to expect this could happen in the UK I suppose (I am British, and embarrased!) The mess today at Terminal 5 is a national disaster.

My advice to anyone planning to fly through London this summer is - if you are on BA, wait to pay for your ticket to see if they can sort it out. If you are not on BA, you should be fine!

Teething problems...

We all know the UK media love to make dramas out of everthing. We just have see how a couple of inches of snow last week had them telling everyone to stay at home. I get fed up of the patronising tone they give us all the time.

T5 as well as mess the today - don't forget BAA+BA had to climb down on finger printing passengers !!

A £4.3bn Terminal which took years to design and build and then only took a few hours to bring to its knees !!

jj......

I could have flown into Gatwick, instead just booked (before seeing the news) Air Canada into Heath-hell.

Please tell me that AC doesn't share terminal 5 with BA.

(Hope all is up and running by early June)

This is just making my day worse. I fly on BA on 4/29 out of Heathrow. Only good thing I can think of is I am going home so, lost luggage will only be an inconvenience as long as it turns up sooner or later. I hope I do not miss my connection in Toronto.

Vicki

I could have flown into Gatwick, instead just booked (before seeing the news) Air Canada into Heath-hell.

Please tell me that AC doesn't share terminal 5 with BA.

(Hope all is up and running by early June)

Terminal 5 is exclusively for BA. AC will still fly out of terminal 3.

*Feeling smug being booked on Delta from terminal 4* :cool:

For Brits:

The only way to cruise.

Sail from Southampton (or Dover or Harwich) and back.

I live 45 minutes from the quayside.

I am sitting at a pool-side bar within 2 hours of shutting my front door.

I can then anticipate a pleasant departure c.5pm, then later refresh and change for dinner (vs balancing a tray of microwaved mush on my lap with my knees jammed up to my chin, wearing the same clothes I wore all day)

When I fly on a holiday (aside from waking up at some unearthly hour to catch a flght leaving at noon). after 2 hours I won't have even reached Heathrow or Gatwick. After being processed for hours on end you then are told the flights delayed. Even if all goes to plan you can write the day off and arrive at your hotel or ship dirty, tired and fed-up.

For those who live in the UK more then a a few hours away from Southampton this relaxed departure style can be obtained by travelling down the day before and booking a hotel for the night.

~~~

On ones return. A lovely nights last sleep, even if you elect to enjoy your last evening moments at a show or bar the previous evening. A cooked breakfast, and in my case, home less than 90 mins after leaving the ship, claiming luggage and clearing customs.

Lol, you are so right, but unfortunately I keep failing in this one simple task. We live about 30 mins away from Dover, but are very limited on dates & length of cruise. By the time I've found an itinerary I like at the right time, I invariably end up flying.

Even when we did the Baltics last year, (Perfect for a Dover start) albeit a last minute booking, the only one I could find to fit started in Copenhagen. :D

What was worse, the only flights I could get were from Heathrow, not even Gatwick. Heyho....I will of course keep trying. ;)

British Airways was SUPPOSED to have checked this all out. They didn't. I landed at Changi Airport, Singapore, the day after it opened. It was smooth as silk. Too much to expect this could happen in the UK I suppose (I am British, and embarrased!) The mess today at Terminal 5 is a national disaster.

My advice to anyone planning to fly through London this summer is - if you are on BA, wait to pay for your ticket to see if they can sort it out. If you are not on BA, you should be fine!

A national disaster... what a load of rubbish!!!!!!

The earthquake at Kobe was a disaster, 9/11 was a disaster. This is an inconvenience for a few thousand a disaster for a few and something which should be cleared up in a few days, when of course we will not hear when it is working well.

Worse delay can happen when we have a few inches of snow or when some group of workers go out on strike for half a day.

A national disaster...get real.

BTW

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Monocled mutineer

Enough of this trying to make us green with envy. We left home at 7.15 am yesterday and were in France by 9.55 UK time. Had leisurely morning coffee/beer, followed by lunch in Boulogne, a drive along the Opal coast, a stop to pick up a few bottles, another stop for coffee, wine, beer and home by 8 pm. Only problem was, the day wasn't long enough.

From the Guardian news story this am at:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/mar/28/theairlineindustry.britishairwaysbusiness

the headline says: "Buck stops with me, says BA chief amid Terminal 5 chaos"

The key story highlights are: "British Airways chief executive Willie Walsh today accepted full responsibility for the Heathrow Terminal 5 debacle, but insisted that he would not resign over the chaos that has delayed thousands of passengers at the flagship £4.3bn terminal.

Warning there would be further disruption this afternoon and into the weekend, Walsh said: "I am accepting responsibility that the buck stops with me." But, asked if he was considering his own position, he said: "No, I am not. I am going to make this work."

He added: "It was definitely not our finest hour. Maybe we set our expectations too high. We clearly made mistakes but I am absolutely determined to make this work." Walsh also admitted today that the flag-carrier's full move to T5 could be pushed back beyond its April 30 deadline because of the disastrous opening. If the full move were to be delayed, it could put BA on a collision course with other airlines, which want to expand their operations into the space vacated at T4. BA cancelled 78 flights today . . . . Staff also cleared 6,000 bags from T5's overloaded baggage system last night, allowing BA to lift a blanket restriction on check-in luggage."

We're still hopefully by our Aug. 5 flight from Stockholm to Heathrow, that BA will get it fixed. Others flying there in May, are hoping for a sooner success. Terry in Ohio

Flights leaving with NO baggage on them - can you imagine the backlog !!

But can you also imagine the great fuel economy those jets experienced!!! ;)

Just curious....which terminal does Aer Lingus use? Hoping by April 29th this won't affect our departure with them even if it is a different terminal.

But can you also imagine the great fuel economy those jets experienced!!! ;) Just curious....which terminal does Aer Lingus use? Hoping by April 29th this won't affect our departure with them even if it is a different terminal.

From the Aer Lingus website, it shows their April 29 flights, as an example, leaving Heathrow from Terminal 1. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Dear Sparky 164,

For 2008, with over 100 roundtrip departures from Southampton for P&O together with Cunards QE2, QM2, QV programme, RCI's "Leviathan of the Seas" programme and Princess's Sea Princess programme, I'm amazed you can't find a no-fly cruise to suit!

Plus there's Fred Olsen too (mainly Dover?), and the odd other line or two's infrequent sailings

the monocled mutineer

We drove to Dover (living in Kent), took the car across on P&O Ferries. No sense flying from where we are. I was just being cheeky in response to your telling us what an easy time you have living not too far from Southampton.

Monocled mutineer

Enough of this trying to make us green with envy. We left home at 7.15 am yesterday and were in France by 9.55 UK time. Had leisurely morning coffee/beer, followed by lunch in Boulogne, a drive along the Opal coast, a stop to pick up a few bottles, another stop for coffee, wine, beer and home by 8 pm. Only problem was, the day wasn't long enough.

At least you chose a better day. My husband has taken my eldest over today on speedferries no less, in this wind. :eek: (:D )

It's my son's first trip as a driver in his own car, venturing onto the 'wrong side of the road' for the first time. Bless! (He's planning on taking some of his friends over to our place in France next week, so a big adventure for him.:) . Now I'm being cheeky too. It will serve me right when I have to go over & clean up after them.)

Monocled Mutineer. Yes, it is sad isn't it. We are literally stuck with one week in August, due to lots of other family commitments..yes, one week, not 10 days etc. That, coupled with price and where we want to go is limiting us at the moment. Just working on ditching the kids & that should help.;)

Archived