Terminal 5 at Heathrow -- merged discussion

TLCOhio

For a further update on T5 progress, pages 40-45 of this analysts' presentation slideshow (dating from the Q1 results presentation on Friday 1 August 2008) may be of interest. T5 itself is ahead of pretty much every target set, although admittedly not dealing with as much volume now as it had been intended to. However, every switch since the opening day has gone off with nary a hitch. The transcript of the presentation is not yet up, but the residual problems with the baggage situation are now largely for bags connecting from other airlines to British Airways, not with BA-BA bags.

• 2 months later...

Perhaps nothing to do with some of the comments above but we flew out of Terminal 5 two weeks ago. What a pleasure! We dropped our bags at the bag drop after standing in line for about 3 minutes. Security went smoothly - no waits. We had so much time after than we could enjoy a delightful breakfast in one of the restaurants.

Nice terminal. Easy and smooth connection made there in past week. Luggage made it through to final destinations on both legs of the trip.

Lots of walking and escalators and many shops to pass the time.

We have a 7 hour layover in Heathrow January 2009 after flying overnight and then heading off for another overnight flight. We arrive and leave via terminal 5. I looked on the Heathrow website and it seems terminal 4 has a yotel with showers and beds. I am thinking it may be nice to book one of those for a rest and clean up between flights. Is anyone familiar with the yotel and would we have to go through customs to go to terminal 4 and back again to terminal 5? Or better yet, is there a yotel in terminal 5 that I haven't discovered?

No, only security (on the assumption that your bags are through-checked, which BA will do, irrespective of whether you are on one ticket or two, because you are doing a BA-BA connection).

When you disembark, follow the signs for Flight Connections Terminal 5. This area is actually in the same hall as immigration, but connections are dealt with at the far end. You need the zone that is for non-UK/Ireland connections, which is at the far end (to the right hand side as you approach the desks). You pass through a boarding pass check here, and then go upstairs on the escalator to security. Clear security and you will be in the main airside departures shopping etc area.

Do you know whether there are any shower or rest facilities available in terminal 5? As we have 7 hours layover, we would definitely want to rest and wash up. The Heathrow website doesn't seem to reflect any lounges in terminal 5 but it may not be updated. Am still debating whether we stay in the terminal or go out through immigration to stay at the yotel at terminal 4.

• 3 weeks later...

A personal baggage anecdote from this morning, arriving back from Johannesburg; I think the first time I have collected checked baggage off a long-haul.

We were some of the first people off the aircraft, and (after taking the shuttle from the T5B satellite to the main T5A building) some of the first from our flight through immigration. By the time we reached the baggage carousel, it looked like the entire flight's baggage was already there.

So I'm just going to grumble about the fact that 50% of the iris scanning booths were out of order. (OK, I know: that's one out of two.)

• 7 months later...
Passengers at Heathrow Terminal 5 are facing disruption following problems with the baggage system.

BAA has suspended luggage check-in while the issue with the sorting system is fixed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8123273.stm

jj......

oooops:eek::eek:

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

Never did like flying:D

I am confident that these issues will get sorted out. We don't mind flying into LHR but if we are connecting (as we often are) we simply avoid LHR completely in favour of Frankfurt or Zurich (best alternate connections for us). Over the years, we have had just too many hassles, delays, and linups. As a destination it is fine, as a transfer point our experience over the past 5-10 years has been less than stellar. I know of collegues who feel the same way. I think we will give it a miss for our next journey but who knows after that...

Archived