Labadee

It is an absolutely gorgeous beach day. It is a walled off area of Haiti that RCCL leases. There are lounge chairs, a market, bbq lunch provided by the ship, beautiful beaches and warm, clear water. You can be a beach bum or there are wave runners and other things to rent.

Labadee is a favorite stop for us. As opposed to the other RCI private "island", Labadee is a little more rustic and has a more pebbly sand. They take crew off the ship and serve you a bbq lunch. There's really no need for cash other than tipping a local who may be there to help you with lounge chairs. There is a small artisan market with trinkets. They're a little agressive in trying to sell there, but you don't even have to walk over to the markets if you don't want to. It's a great, laid-back day overall.

Loved it, after finding the best beach area to spend the day, which is to the left as you enter. Just rented a float, and floated around admiring the Liberty docked in front of us, and the kids area to the left. Calm, blue wonderful water. My husband even dovefor a conch shell near the rocks as the water was so clear. We also bargained for some wonderful crafts at the mkt. and intend to save more time to shop there when we are on the Freedom. I have heard that some people bring items (clothes, etc) for the natives as it is such a poor country.

Labadee is beautiful, if you want quiet and peaceful when you get to the island walk ALL the way to the left. there is a tram you can take if you want. It's a pretty close walk to the dragons breath point. Not many people venture past the first beach, so the last beach is the least crowded. There are some nice little trees for shade and plenty of sunshine. The markets as others said were a bit pushy in the first one (and in front of the the first one) but the second one was more like a store and not pushy. But you can avoid them all together if you choose. They have a cool kids little water park area, it's cute, I'd say for younger than 10 maybe?

If you want more specific info check out the port forum.

I was very uneasy of going ashore at labadee and now I am very happy that I did, It was beautiful and a great beach day.

They have a cool kids little water park area, it's cute, I'd say for younger than 10 maybe?

Is this the aqua park you can reserve an hour for about $20.00?? Reason I ask is we are going to be on the Mariner in July. I reserved an hour at the aqua park and the all day slide for my two Ds's. The pics I saw of the aqua park showed water teeter totter, log rolls, climbing ice berg etc... boys areT 14 & 15. After reading your post I am wondering if they will enjoy this or if it is for younger kids???

Thanks,

They have a cool kids little water park area' date=' it's cute, I'd say for younger than 10 maybe?

Is this the aqua park you can reserve an hour for about $20.00?? Reason I ask is we are going to be on the Mariner in July. I reserved an hour at the aqua park and the all day slide for my two Ds's. The pics I saw of the aqua park showed water teeter totter, log rolls, climbing ice berg etc... boys areT 14 & 15. After reading your post I am wondering if they will enjoy this or if it is for younger kids???

Thanks,[/quote']

No the water park I am talking about is like a little kiddie land you find in a water park it's kind of in the middle of sand, not near the beach. I don't know if there is a cost, I assume it is for the AO. What you rented/purchased is in the water, it's great for all ages, even adults.

Sue,

I loved your pictures, especially the underwater ones! Did you use a disposable camera or a waterproof camera holder?

We have the underwater housing for our Canon camera. We love it. I will pass your compliments on to hubby who takes the photos.

As Born 4 crusin said, and we can confirm, the further away from the crowd you get, the nicer the beach and more quiet it becomes. The tram will take you there. Just go to the end of the line. And when we were there, there was a lunch buffet there, also. We were on Brilliance at the time, and a lotta of the staff and crew took that tram to the end of the line. They always know the right way to go.

Rick and Deirdra

We have the underwater housing for our Canon camera. We love it. I will pass your compliments on to hubby who takes the photos.

did you have the camera on you at all times or are there lockers to lock it up? I have a Pentax DSLR and I can't exactly leave it laying around. Any suggestions?

did you have the camera on you at all times or are there lockers to lock it up? I have a Pentax DSLR and I can't exactly leave it laying around. Any suggestions?

I don't think there are lockers, but I just carried mine around, and when I went in the water I just put it in my backpack. If you are really worried, you can bring it back to the ship and lock it in your room safe. You can go back and forth as much as you want.

I can't remember if there are lockers. When swimming we would just leave our stuff on our chairs and it was fine. BUT, sounds like your camera is just a bit more expensive than ours!:rolleyes:

I agree with just about everything that has been said. Labadee is awesome! When you think of a beautiful beach day in the Caribbean--think Labadee!

One more thing though--personally I would avoid the vendor area all together.

Enjoy the cruise!!

Labaee is a chill day, we got some beds and sunbathed for the day and yes suntan lotion is a must.

We walked up to dragon's breath quirky it was.:D

Lunch was good nice fresh fruits and cookies.

We ventured into the market and haggled with the locals they can be pushy but be firm and only pay what you think something's worth or walk away we did.

But what a great day:D

Archived