Conquest OV - 6B or 6E?

NoleWoman

I'm cruising for the first time this summer with dh and 2 kids, 5 and 8. We currently have a 6B room (2407) but I'm thinking of switching to a 6E. My thoughts are, with a 6E we will be closer to Camp Carnival, which we may be back and forth from a lot. We'd also be closer to the pools/food. There's also the option of running to the spa to use their facilities for getting ready for dinner at night if need be. Or even just running the kids up to Camp Carnival while we get ready so they're not bored waiting for us in the room. The only negatives I can think of is feeling more movement in rough seas (which, never having cruised before, I'm not sure would be a problem although I plan on taking bonine), and being farther away from where you get off the ship at port.

Are there any other pros or cons you can think of to those 6E family staterooms? If we stay where we are on the main deck, I'm a little concerned about noise from the galley above us, and I do get a little freaked out at the idea of being down so low in the ship.

I have been contemplating whether to switch since I made the reservation in August, and final payment is due in a couple weeks so this is forcing me to make a decision!

On this ship, I believe that the Cat. 6E are cabins with Full ceiling to floor windows. Maybe someone will post a picture of one here.

Yep, here it is:

*Category 6E family Ocean View staterooms feature floor-to-ceiling windows.

Fred

I have never been on the conquest but plan to soon. If I were you I would do whatever would make your life easiest while dealing with the children. If they get board they are more apt to complain. Pick a cabin that is close to their activities and if your are worried about motion sickness- cabins toward the middle of the ship are best. I prefer cabins that are close to the stairs and elevator. Is the ocean view you booked a picture window or a floor to ceiling window? The kids will enjoy the window.

Julie

We didn't have this cabin, but I took a picture for future reference: :)

2803154740061183369S425x425Q85.jpg

It's nice with the floor-to-ceiling windows, but a balcony was cheaper (at least for our sailing). With kids, I kind of like having the balcony for an "escape".

We didn't have this cabin, but I took a picture for future reference: :)

2803154740061183369S425x425Q85.jpg

It's nice with the floor-to-ceiling windows, but a balcony was cheaper (at least for our sailing). With kids, I kind of like having the balcony for an "escape".

Which ship is this on? And Do you have anymore pics of this cabin?

Thanks for the pic Lisa :) I checked out balcony prices but they were more expensive, plus with the ages that they are I'd be nervous with a balcony.

Julie, the one we have now is a regular window. It looks like, for any ov cabin that sleeps 4, we can't really be midship. The one we have now is in the back third of the ship.

Thanks for the pic Lisa :) I checked out balcony prices but they were more expensive, plus with the ages that they are I'd be nervous with a balcony.

Julie, the one we have now is a regular window. It looks like, for any ov cabin that sleeps 4, we can't really be midship. The one we have now is in the back third of the ship.

We have 2 kids, ages 12 and 4. The 12 yr. old has been on 10 cruises. He's our energetic one. He was never overly interested in hanging out on the balcony. Too quiet and relaxing--he wanted to be out and about on the ship. He spent the most time out there at embarkation and maybe if we had a port side docking. Otherwise, he didn't ask to go out there.

It's hard to open the balcony door, and you can keep it locked. You probably wouldn't be as nervous as you think. You and your husband can have "quiet time" out there, too. ;)

I checked prices (for our 12/14/08 sailing) and an 8A balcony is $60 cheaper than the 6E.

Good luck in deciding!

The 6E cabin is also slightly larger than the 6Bs, like maybe 10 s.f. or something 15 at the most...but it is a tad larger, I just cannot ever remember exactly.

The extra might be lost in the way the windows are slanted however.

Ok well after being indecisive for oh, 7 months, I called today to change from a 6B to a 6E... and they are all booked. Grrr. This is the price I pay for procrastination and indecisiveness.

The next step up for 4 people would be a balcony, I can get an 8C for $200 more than what the 6E would have been, which isn't bad but when comparing it to the 6B that we have, it's $650 more, yikes! That's almost 2 airfares! Paying more for the room won't change our plans as far as excursions or whatever, it'll just hurt a little more lol.

So what should I do? An 8C would be close to Lido deck, closer to camp carnival, more midship, but has the balcony which makes me a little nervous w/the kids (8 and 5) and the cost. The 6B would be more walking and we're under the galley, which I've heard people complain about noise there. Since I don't have a dh that ever has an opinion about anything ("whatever you want to do is fine honey"), I need help deciding!

There is a thread called "I wasted money on a balcony" I think is still on the first page with all kinds of opinions.

In our case, we are two sisters who have no interest in sitting out there by ourselves for romance. We would rather spend out time up on the deck where other people are and people watch. We try to book a OV so we can view the ocean in our A/C cabin. you will get some saying they love balconys, especially if its a husband and wife. I dont do room service either, I love to go up and watch the sun come up with the smokers (nope I dont smoke).

I think you have to decide if you would like to sit out on a balcony or not. Some would and some wouldnt. We wouldnt. My sister wouldnt sit out there if the sun hits her etc. I would get one if I was going to Alaska only.

Ok well after being indecisive for oh, 7 months, I called today to change from a 6B to a 6E... and they are all booked. Grrr. This is the price I pay for procrastination and indecisiveness.

The next step up for 4 people would be a balcony, I can get an 8C for $200 more than what the 6E would have been, which isn't bad but when comparing it to the 6B that we have, it's $650 more, yikes! That's almost 2 airfares! Paying more for the room won't change our plans as far as excursions or whatever, it'll just hurt a little more lol.

So what should I do? An 8C would be close to Lido deck, closer to camp carnival, more midship, but has the balcony which makes me a little nervous w/the kids (8 and 5) and the cost. The 6B would be more walking and we're under the galley, which I've heard people complain about noise there. Since I don't have a dh that ever has an opinion about anything ("whatever you want to do is fine honey"), I need help deciding!

Hmmm.... I am a bit confused - you are talking about the cruise in your signature, Conquest July 13, 2008, right? I just looked at what is available on Carnival website for that cruise, and they list nine 6E cabins for four as being available to book.

Hmmm.... I am a bit confused - you are talking about the cruise in your signature, Conquest July 13, 2008, right? I just looked at what is available on Carnival website for that cruise, and they list nine 6E cabins for four as being available to book.

Yes, that's the one! Two weeks ago when I called my TA to check the price for upgrading, they gave me a price, and from looking online it looked like 9 were available. Last night when I called to actually change, they said none were available. Then I called Carnival to ask them, thinking maybe my TA got it wrong, and they also said no 6E's available.

Yes, that's the one! Two weeks ago when I called my TA to check the price for upgrading, they gave me a price, and from looking online it looked like 9 were available. Last night when I called to actually change, they said none were available. Then I called Carnival to ask them, thinking maybe my TA got it wrong, and they also said no 6E's available.

I guess that is another example of the "glitches" with their website always being mentioned here on cc. I didn't go any further in the booking process than seeing what cabins came up as being available. If I was really interested in getting that category, I think I would be tempted to continue booking online and see what happens. It did surprise me to see that many 6E's listed, especially when you had posted that none were available. I was actually looking for the obstructed view 6B's higher up on the front of the ship, but I didn't see any available that hold four people. Another option, if you want to be "up there," would be an inside on Lido, Panarama, or Verandah. Another thought would be to ask to be put on the waiting list for a 6E, in case one opens up.

Is an 8A any cheaper (or are you paying for an 8A and being upgraded for free)?

Is an 8A any cheaper (or are you paying for an 8A and being upgraded for free)?

Paying for the 8A and being upgraded to an 8C. Hmm... part of me says just leave it as it is and keep checking to see if a 6E opens up. Then another part of me wants to just suck it up and pay for the 8C at this point, since I don't know when we will cruise again. This is the indecisiveness problem I have lol. Dh said it's great that there are no 6E's left because it makes the decision for me since I was going back and forth... but I said, I WAS going back and forth, then I MADE a decision, and now I can't have it!

I guess that is another example of the "glitches" with their website always being mentioned here on cc. I didn't go any further in the booking process than seeing what cabins came up as being available. If I was really interested in getting that category, I think I would be tempted to continue booking online and see what happens. It did surprise me to see that many 6E's listed, especially when you had posted that none were available. I was actually looking for the obstructed view 6B's higher up on the front of the ship, but I didn't see any available that hold four people. Another option, if you want to be "up there," would be an inside on Lido, Panarama, or Verandah. Another thought would be to ask to be put on the waiting list for a 6E, in case one opens up.

I went to an online TA and tried to book the 6E for the heck of it, and I got all the way to the part where you leave the deposit and it did let me pick the specific cabin. So I checked Carnival's site again and it too showed that there were 9 available. So then I emailed Carnival and asked what the deal was, and they emailed back saying that the best I could do would book a 6E guarantee but I cannot pick a specific cabin because there are no more left to be assigned.

So does this mean there are some available that they hold to give to people with OV Guarantees? Or that they already put some OV Guarantee people in there but they still have time to shuffle them around or upgrade them so I could get one? Or if I do the 6E Guarantee, am I going to end up with a balcony? Weird that they'd let you book a 6E Guarantee if there are no 6E's left, it's like they're losing money... shouldn't they just close that category if they're all taken? Wouldn't anyone who wanted to book a balcony guarantee now just book the 6E guarantee and save a few bucks, since they know there are no 6E's left?

Wow, crazy and confusing. As your cruise is still over three months out and before final payment, I doubt guarantees have been assigned yet. "No more left to be assigned" does not necessarily mean there are no more unassigned. Perhaps the number of 6E guarantees booked already equals (or exceeds) the number not assigned, and they must "hold" the ones left until they know what cabins (in higher categories) are available for upgrades. :confused:

Well, if you get a 6E guarantee, you'll get that or better. I think 6E's are only on Spa deck, which is a pretty small deck, so you'd have a good idea of where you could end up.

If you get upgraded to a balcony, the lowest deck you'd be would be Upper (for an 8A).

So, for the 6E price, you could get the balcony...

Well, if you get a 6E guarantee, you'll get that or better. I think 6E's are only on Spa deck, which is a pretty small deck, so you'd have a good idea of where you could end up.

If you get upgraded to a balcony, the lowest deck you'd be would be Upper (for an 8A).

So, for the 6E price, you could get the balcony...

Im thinking with a 6E guarantee, you could also be upgraded to a 7A obstructed balcony?

I went to an online TA and tried to book the 6E for the heck of it, and I got all the way to the part where you leave the deposit and it did let me pick the specific cabin. So I checked Carnival's site again and it too showed that there were 9 available. So then I emailed Carnival and asked what the deal was, and they emailed back saying that the best I could do would book a 6E guarantee but I cannot pick a specific cabin because there are no more left to be assigned.

If there are no more to be assigned maybe there are others that also took the 6E balcony, or they have OV guarantees of quads and they have no other quads left...the later would be my guess. The quads fill up and all the 6Es are quads.

I'm no expert but I'm finding this very strange ...

From what I can tell, it looks like there are still a few 6E cabins available and when I just tried to book one, I got pretty far in the process. As well, you say you are booked in cabin 2407, well I just tried to book a 6B cabin and low & behold, 2407 is available.

I would suggest you discuss this with your TA or perhaps another TA. Since it is still 3 months away, I think you could cancel with a full refund and simply re-book & get the 6E cabin that you finally decided you wanted.

As for the 6E cabin, we just got back from the Liberty in the 6E cabin and it was great. I think it's bigger than a 6B - they say that it's equivalent to a balcony in total space meaning that the 25 sq ft ??? of balcony is part of the cabin itself. We found it quite roomy & yes, close to everything we needed (with 2 kids). I will post pictures if I can find them.

Anyways, I suggest you pursue this further as it really doesn't make sense to me. Keep us posted on what you settled with.

Archived