Is it cheaper to use a travel agent

lovedeals

I am looking at alaska in 09. This will be my fourth cruise and have always booked right thru Carnival. This time I am leading toward Princess. Is it cheaper to use a travel agent than to book directly with a cruise line?

If you can find a good discount TA you can probably save yourself quite a bit off the Princess price. Princess still allows discounting by travel agent (some discount their commission and pass along the savings back to their clients).

I would do some checking around before booking direct as we have always been able to find a better price through a discount TA.

Also, keep your eyes open, some TAs run a special where they lower the deposits to $100 pp for future bookings, and often times they include shipboard credit on these specials.

Online TAs offer some good discounts. Just google someting like "cruise discounts" and you'll get a listing of several. Ask for quotes from several agencies. I've saved hundreds by not booking direcly with the various cruise lines.

So I re-read “The Rules”, or Guidelines as they’re called, and it says no third party recommendations. No third party recommendations stood out in this string. And Unless you are a travel agent, (according to the Guidelines) it looks to me like there is no Guideline about posting your email address--it’s up to the recipient to decide if they want to respond or not. Let each person decide for themselves.

GUIDELINES: . . . cruiser's exchange of advice and tips. . .

We are giving advice for which we receive no compensation or benefit. We want to help others. For free. No one in this string appeared to be soliciting--which we understand is forbidden.

NEXT topic. . .

I am very sorry for causing trouble I didnt realize it was any different than the people asking what hotels to stay in or what restaurants to eat in. I was just asking for a little direction as to where to look. Again I am very sorry.

Lovedeals, you didn't do anything wrong. You asked a simple question!

And your last post raises a very good question!!!

My short answer to your original question is:

investigate both avenues and see what you get! Comparison shop. And ask about shipboard credits and state resident credits too. :)

Happy cruising!!

Yes you should save money by using a TA. We always get some online pricing as a check point and have found that TA's almost always do better than the on line pricing plus the on line pricing is often for poorer cabin locations.

As a member of CruiseCritic, consider using some of the agencies that advertise here.

In additional to offering a lower price, the TA can also provide onboard credits, which reduce the overall cost, reduced deposits, and even gifts while onboard which the cruise line doesn't offer. Plus, ones specializing in cruises may help you find the "right" cruise for you.

Check out on the web first comments on other forums regarding any on line agency even those that advertise on this site.Put the name of the agency then add by the same bad good through GOOGLE.

You may be suprised what you read.:cool:

If you are new to cruising it might be safer for you to get a local TA that you can sit down with face to face.

In my experiences I have found the ones that give you the biggest discount...are not as eager to answer questions when your booked.

Those that spend time with you even after you have booked will not give you much difference in price than Princess.

Now these are my experiences. You pay for service.

I have just transferred bookings back to Princess while I got a $700 discount with that TA, when I transferred back to Princess one of the bookings was $100 cheaper and I got an additional $25 on board credit......So figure that one out....Yes I am very thrilled:D

As a member of CruiseCritic, consider using some of the agencies that advertise here.

In additional to offering a lower price, the TA can also provide onboard credits, which reduce the overall cost, reduced deposits, and even gifts while onboard which the cruise line doesn't offer. Plus, ones specializing in cruises may help you find the "right" cruise for you.

Yes, there are many great advertisers in Cruise Critic and you often get Onboard Credit or Free gratuities or cheap or free air add-on and lower prices as well in many cases.

Yes, they are reliable and very good. We were extremely pleased with ours which advertised here.

I know I am in the minority, but we have frequently gotten better prices booking directly with Princess, based on emailed or snail mailed flyer pricing.

We have researched and comparison shopped and have one piece of advice: ALWAYS compare only the "bottom line" costs - that is the cost after all taxes, fees, and whatever are added to the quoted cruise cabin cost. We have found many "come on's" offering lower cabin prices that have much higher costs in other areas, making the total cost more than that offered elsewhere.

In one case we booked with Princess and then transferred the booking to an agency offering "significant savings" which after all was said and done amounted to 25 dollars - which did not make up for the hassle and worry incurred when the agency delayed sending our credit card payment to Princess until the last minute and we didn't have out tickets.

Best of luck in finding what works for you. Happy Cruising !

If the price is your only concern, you'll probably get a lower price somewheres on the Internet.

We've been on 6 cruises. I'll go on the Internet to determine which cruise offers the itinerary, departure date & departure port that best serves what we want.

After determining what we want out of a cruise, I go on the Internet to search for prices on the various cruise lines.

I than contact a couple local Travel Agents to see if they can offer a similar price as the Internet. Most of the time, it's a bit extra. I prefer to deal with a local agency even if it's a bit more expensive. If there's any problem that comes up, it's a lot easier to get them resolved by being right in front of your Travel Agent than a faceless contact over the telephone.

For whatever it's worth, that's how I do it. I don't think price is the only factor.

Bill

I agree the price is not my only factor. I already know where I want to go, Alaska, where I want to debark from and how long a cruise I want to go on. This will be my fourth trip to alaska. Two by land and one cruise two years ago with carnival. I have been on three cruises with carnival and thought a change might be nice. I didnt realize that TAs were cheaper until I started reading the posts here. I have always went directly to Carnival. While I have been waiting for Princess prices to come out I have checked this years fares and assume they wont change too much. I am trying to get a variety of prices because there are 8 couples of us going and I seem to be the one that is supposed to get all the info. I did check the people who advertise with cruise critic as suggested and have already gotten responses on the lines that have their 09 prices out. I again thank everyone for their help and will try hard not to ask the wrong questions again. I see the posts where I asked and was answered things I shouldnt have, have been removed. Thanks again.

Lovedeals,

While I am not a TA, I do a great deal of travel ressearch and am often the planner for our traveling companions. Like bwl, I try to use a local agent that I can personally communicate with if prices are close. One other thing to mention is that with 8 couples, you could qualify for additional group discounts or credit as the group leader. This was the case on our last cruise. I got a significant discount and we used the savings for our group excursions and wine for sail away parties. When you're seeking information, you may want to mention that you have a group.

Since yesterday I had emails from six different on line TAs. I used Carnival for an example because they already have their prices out and Princess doesnt. So far they havnt done any better on pricing than the actual Carnival people. I asked for prices for just my husband and I, and also group pricing. The room cost and perks have been the same that Carnival offered me. Today I contacted my local agent that booked me 23 flights to fl last year for the carib. cruise. She will get back to me this week after Princess releases their new prices. I really appreciate all the good advice everyone has given me. Most of our vacations are on land. We have a 36 foot fifth wheel toy hauler. Front 26 feet is living space, back 10 is garage for either our harley or our four wheelers. Those kind of vacations I am used to planning, at cruises I am a beginner. Thanks again!!!

I booked my next cruise (February) directly with Princess.

Can I transfer the booking to a TA for possible savings? I understand Princess doesn't often lower the online booking prices.

Many thanks!

Can I transfer the booking to a TA for possible savings? I understand Princess doesn't often lower the online booking prices.

Many thanks!

You sure can, I have done it in the past. It is quite easy, the TA will likely have you fax Princess something saying you want to transfer the booking with your signature.

Many thanks!

Reminder take care when picking a TA whether over the internet or local.Try to get references from others if its your local TA and the web just google the agency name with bad and good.I've learned alot through doing just that.

Good Luck.....Kruisey:)

Archived