Halibut in Seward

lovedeals

We are staying in Alaska for a week after we get off our cruise. Our first stop will be Seward. My husband wants to do a halibut fishing trip. Has anyone done a charter service from here. A few years ago he fished in Valdez, but we didnt want to drive back there. I like Seward.

you can also go to the link

http://www.sewardak.org/dir_todo.asp?ID=66

has all the charter operators out of Sewrd whom you can contact direct.

Some dates are already filled. We just reserved for August.

Dan

Those listed have paid to be a member of the chamber of commerce. Also note many are for other areas, not just Seward.

There are 40 boats that use the Fishouse to have their boats booked, plus they own 4 boats. They have been the major booking agency for years.

We have always booked independently in Valdez, but booking through the booking agency often gives you a discount on fish processing if you are going to keep your fish. I don't know about Seward, but I do know that Fish Central in Valdez does. Also if you are less than a full six-pack going through the booking agency gives you a better chance of getting on a boat. We have always gone with at least six people, so it seemed smarter to just book with a captain that we knew.

I am cooking halibut tonight that we caught in Valdez. Nothing like it.

Janice

We are staying in Alaska for a week after we get off our cruise. Our first stop will be Seward. My husband wants to do a halibut fishing trip. Has anyone done a charter service from here. A few years ago he fished in Valdez, but we didnt want to drive back there. I like Seward.

Just curious-Seward has a lot of halibut but Homer is the "Halibut Fishing Capital of the World".

Might want to take a look at Homer. Of course, I am slightly prejudiced!!!

Thanks for the suggestion, Pssunshinegal. Homer halibut sounds pretty good for dinner.

Thanks for the suggestion, Pssunshinegal. Homer halibut sounds pretty good for dinner.

My Alaskan friends ONLY like halibut deep fried and my Palm Springs only like it grilled (you know health conscious, wouldn't eat anything deep fried if they were starving). So how will you be cooking yours? I much prefer the deep frying, but probably too much work so tonight will be grilled. I only have two large fillets of Copper River red, so will have to decide what special guests will get that.

Greatam, did you happen to get any of the HUGE scallops last summer? I have never tasted or seen anything like that. Everyone in Homer told us that they had never seen them that big either. Hoping to get more this summer.

Janice

My Alaskan friends ONLY like halibut deep fried and my Palm Springs only like it grilled (you know health conscious, wouldn't eat anything deep fried if they were starving). So how will you be cooking yours? I much prefer the deep frying, but probably too much work so tonight will be grilled. I only have two large fillets of Copper River red, so will have to decide what special guests will get that.

Greatam, did you happen to get any of the HUGE scallops last summer? I have never tasted or seen anything like that. Everyone in Homer told us that they had never seen them that big either. Hoping to get more this summer.

Janice

I don't like scallops, although I heard people talking about them last year. Maybe I should try them.

Fish just went into the oven. No grilled halibut for me-too dry. I put the fillets in a Pyrex baking dish, throw a little butter on the top, cover with foil and "steam" for about 25-30 minutes (until the fish flakes).

I know the price of a fishing trip, but how much has people spent on shipping your fish home. Halibut would be the fish because we are going the end of May.

It is not cheap. DH fishes a lot in Alaska every year. We have tried a variety of processors. Most are pretty close to the same price. Here is info from the one we use EVERY year.

http://www.welovefish.com/seafood-processing.htm

I know the price of a fishing trip, but how much has people spent on shipping your fish home. Halibut would be the fish because we are going the end of May.

If there is anyway that you can fish on the land portion and then fly home, my suggestion is, go fish, have it processed 90 cents/pound (I think) and have them keep it until you are ready to go to the airport. They will up it in 50 pound coolers, so your weight will pass. Then you ship home your luggage, which is relatively cheap compared to overnight sending fish home Fed-Ex. I have never been able to make this work, but I do know people who have and they are really happy with it. Otherwise, you can also check to see if you can add a third suitcase for $50, which is another way to go. We sent home 150 pounds of fish and with processing and Fed-Ex expense it was $540.00. Now compared to what we pay for fresh halibut here, it would have been 1800.00 worth of fish.

This trip, I am definitely going to plan it so that I take the fish home and ship my luggage.

Janice

This trip, I am definitely going to plan it so that I take the fish home and ship my luggage.

Janice

We almost always take our fish home on the plane. Have CoalPoint in Homer put it in the big coolers, wrap it securely with tape and shrink wrap and send it home as luggage. We also pay the extra baggage charge if we have more than 200 pounds of fish (4 suitcases worth between the two). It is SOOOO much cheaper + you KNOW your fish is OK. One time, we shipped it FedEx and they called and wanted to deliver it to DH's office. Just what in the h**** was he going to do with it for 6 hours at work? FedEx was NOT happy bringing it another 33 miles to the house. And it cost an absolute fortune.

The people at Coalpoint are great. They were going to let me keep 150 lbs of halibut that we caught in Valdez in the freezer while we were at Hallo Bay. They were even going to stay open late to meet our plane so that we could drop it off. It didn't turn out that way, but I can't say enough about the kindness of these people.

Janice

Archived