Traveler Checks

the4thp

Has anyone tried the new credit card style traveler checks? I am curious if they can be used in lieu of a normal credit card for paying you onboard fees.

I wanted to try this, but you have to order it directly through American Express online and I didn't know that. I assumed you got it right through the bank like you do regular travelers checks, so thus waited too long to inquire about it. There should be no reason why you could not use this form of payment as long as the ship accepts American Express. I would recommend ordering it at least 4 weeks prior to travel though.

I was reading the information on the web about the Amex travel funds card and they do warn that the card might not be accepted for reservations only to settle the account. They used the examples of hotel and rental car reservations. Has anyone actually used the travel funds card to open their onboard account? Do I need to make a minimum cash deposit and just use the card to pay up at the end? My husband and I don't use credit cards and I'm afraid to use my debit card after reading too many posts about people having their bank accounts screwed up for weeks after using one!

Another question: Could we make the minimum deposit in cash but still use our debit card to pay off the onboard account therefore eliminating having a hold placed on the account and the double debit problems some people have had?

Thanks all,

HappyStamper you stated that question I had better than I did. I was really thinking more of the onboard credit issue.

This may be an easy way to settle your onboard account at the end, instead of placing it on a credit card.

I have found that you can also order the card through AAA, but there is a $16.00 service fee. Guess I may still keep buying the regular traveler checks, and cash them on board when I need them.

Dan

In the begining you can place a credit card or a debit card on your account and pay using the american express cash card on the last day to settle your account.

If you want to use a debit card make sure that you take off your daily out take about a month before you cruise. (I only have a limit of 200 a day)

Fortunately my credit union doesn't have a daily limit for debit card purchases, only for ATM withdrawals. I don't want to use the debit card for my onboard account because I have read posts saying that the cruiseline put a hold on the account at the beginning of the cruise but did not release the hold when the actual bill was debited from the cardholders bank account at the end of the cruise. I can just see that happening to me causing my account to be overdrawn and me not to have any money to get home on!

After reading all the fine print on the Amex Travel Funds card website we will be using travellers' checks and/or cash for our onboard account and our debit cards for purchases in port. And we will let the credit union know that we will be using our cards outside of the US so our purchases aren't declined as suspicious!

For the most leverage should you have any problems, use a credit card.

That said, the cruise line should accept your Amex Travel Card just like travellers' checks...for final payment and the up front "cash deposit." No need to carry the paper travellers' checks. The reason is that any merchant that has an agreement with Amex to accept their charge card MUST accept the Travel Card....same with the stored value cards with the Visa or Mastercard logos.

I don't want to use the debit card for my onboard account because I have read posts saying that the cruiseline put a hold on the account at the beginning of the cruise but did not release the hold when the actual bill was debited from the cardholders bank account at the end of the cruise.

the only reason this happens to people with debit cards is because of a daily limit restriction. When Carnival goes and tries to take the money-its denied because it went over the limit which is why it hits twice for a few days.

Archived