Formal Wear - Long gowns?

I am taking my first cruise this May: A 5 night cruise on Enchantment to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I was going to wear a long dress for formal night. I recently read a post that said I would stand out in it because not many people wear them on the 5 night caribbean cruises. Is this true? I am a person who prefers to blend in.

I always wear a long dress, even on the three night cruises. Wear what YOU feel is appropriate for YOU. Does it really matter what others think? The formal wear on all cruises will very from nice sundresses to very formal evening gowns.

Wear your long dress, take some nice formal pictures, and most of all... enjoy your cruise!

Karen

With a one suitcase limit on most airlines it will get harder to pack formal wear. I foresee the formal nights going the way of the dinosaur. Country club casual has taken it's place. On Azamara (we're booked for next january) which is an upscale line with butlers for all cabins they've done away with all formal nights and are open seating. I think that is the way things are heading.

On my last several cruises ranging from 5-8 nights there was a mix of formal wear. I wopuld agree with the poster that said to wear what you feel comfortable in. I love to dress up and did so to the nines and was very comfortable. You will see some of everything bt I will say that the majority of the women on the cruises I was on dressed in long gowns.

Good luck and happy cruising!! :)

There are so many people on these ships from so many different places, with so many different "views" on formal night, you see everything. We were on a 3 night Carnival cruise last fall and lots of women wore full length gowns, I was surprised. They all looked beautiful!

I always see the vast number of women in formal wear of some sort on the Formal nights - whether it's long or short gowns. What I'm seeing less and less of are the tuxedos. Instead, men seem to be sticking with the dark suits which still looks quite nice.

Also....even on the "non-formal" nights, there will always be a few women who dress quite formal on those nights as well. At the same time, there will be those who wouldn't dress up for their own wedding it seems...and insist on taking it to the other extreme.

I always wear a long gown on formal night even on my short cruises. The only exception is if we have 2 formal nights. Then I will wear my long gown on the 1st night and then a very dressy cocktail dress on the 2nd night. My DH always wears a tux for every formal night. We don't ever get the chance to dress up at home, so for us, we love to go all out and "dress to the nines" whenever we cruise. Who cares what anyone else is wearing. Wear whatever you feel like wearing. If you have a long gown that you want to wear, go for it, it's your cruise.

"......Then I will wear my long gown on the 1st night and then a very dressy cocktail dress on the 2nd night. ....."

First time cruiser here,:) And I plan on doing that exact same thing.

Well, there is only one formal night on the cruise I am taking :P

"......Then I will wear my long gown on the 1st night and then a very dressy cocktail dress on the 2nd night. ....."

First time cruiser here,:) And I plan on doing that exact same thing.

That's my plan too. On my last cruise, I saw a good number of long gowns. There were definitely more cocktail length dresses, but I wouldn't have felt like I stood out (in a bad way!) in a long gown.

Last year we took the 5 day to Bermuda and everyone on here said it would be less dressy, etc. .....WRONG!! It was one of the dressiest cruises we have ever been on with the majority in full length gowns and the men in tuxes. On the casual nights most were quite dressy also so you never know!!

I am taking my first cruise this May: A 5 night cruise on Enchantment to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I was going to wear a long dress for formal night. I recently read a post that said I would stand out in it because not many people wear them on the 5 night caribbean cruises. Is this true? I am a person who prefers to blend in.

When in May are you going Starrdust228??

I have a group of 8 going on 5/3 and we can't wait:D

Starrdust....Because you say you prefer to blend in, I wouldn't recommend a long dress for you for formal night. We have done both 5 and 7 night cruises. There were very few long dresses given the number of passengers on most ships. Most ladies were in cocktail type dresses, as was I. But really, what is most important is that you are comfortable in whatevery you choose! You will have the best time!

I have been lucky enough to have been cruising for 12 years now.

We travel with extended family and we have always all dressed up. The females wear long dresses for the most part but also dressy cocktail dresses. The men all wear tuxedos. This includes my teenaged nephews and my boys who will be 4 & 8 on our June Freedom of the Seas Cruise.

We dress up because we enjoy it. I don't feel that we stand out - at least not in a bad way. My boys look absolutely adorable in their matching black tuxedos! They get sooo many complments and it makes for priceless photos. FYI - I buy their tuxes on e-bay. I can usually find a full tux for each of them for around $25.00 each - much cheaper than purchasing dress pants, sport coats and ties for each of them.

Can you wear a dressy sun dress or nice skirt on formal night and still feel comfortable - yes - definitely. No one will point fingers at you or deny you entrance to the dining room. However if you enjoy dressing up by all means do it! You will not be out of place!!

I do not think you would stand out. Their are many who wear long gowns also many who wear short cocktail dresses. Wear whatever you will feel comfortable in.

I've seen ballgowns on 3 night cruises and sundresses on longer cruises! There's no real 'rule'. I've worn both long dresses and dressy cocktail dresses on formal. Generally, I like to make use of the longer dresses (mostly from being a bridesmaid) since there are so few occasions on land to wear them. It seems like a shame to own beautiful dresses and never use them.

To the OP - YES, You will be FINE!!

Hey folks - it's OK to wear what ever you want to wear!!

Whenever you want to wear it! (Within reason!!)

BUT - there are some basic 'guidelines' for those that are not aware. Jeans, Shorts, thongs and 'T' shirts are not acceptable in polite company for the evening meal in the dining room - but it is unlikely you will be denied entry (just everyone else will be talking about you behind your back!).

It's 'GUIDELINES' not RULES!! On 'FORMAL' nights, if guys want to wear a suit instead of a TUX, that is their choice. (But IMHO, formal has always meant Tuxedo for gentlemen - but some do not own one and do not wish to rent one for the evening.) Ladies are just fine in a 'formal' (floor length) gown, but many choose to wear a nice 'cocktail' dress - and that's OK too.

AND (as I have noted on some cruises) if you want to show-up for formal night dinner in your casual beach wear to make a 'personal statement' about how you could not care less about what other perople think about you - fine, that is your choice to make!! It will certainly not cause any concern on my part or cause me to have a less than WONDERFUL cruise experience!!

I am going on a 4 night cruise (in 2 1/2 weeks!!!!!) and am planning on wearing a dress every night. A long one for the formal night, and short ones for the other nights. The short dresses aren't formal, but nice, date night dresses. I enjoy dressing up, so I'm just planning on having fun, and knowing that my DH thinks I look great!

Enjoy your long gown--if you're "out of place" it'll be because you look smashing!

Dressy pants with a dressy top is also very big....tuxedos are hardly seen any more.

Most of the very dressy long gowns look like they are worn by women who had it from a wedding, and want to get another wearing out of it.

Archived