How can cruise lines control ridiculous expectations?

UCFKnight85

You were p####d off because you missed Jamaica because of a storm?

You bet they could have made it??? So you know more about sailing than the captain?

Just how is he being ripped off? Sounds like you would have been right beside him with his ridiculous demands and you could have been with him when he was "dropped off".

I have been to Jamaica once, hated all the bullying there from people wanting you to buy their junk. If I am ever foolish enough to book a crusie that goes there again-I will stay on ship.

I like sea days- unless I am on one of those ships that has 3000 plus people and so is congested on sea days-but since I will not book one of those ships again it is not a problem.

My last cruise I was absolutely horrified by the actions of the American vacationers. Rude, demanding, ignorant, etc. For the first time in my life, I was embarassed to be an American on the cruise sailing. People were not kind or polite. They cut in lines, they hog chairs, they yelled at other vacationers, and I don't know how many doors slammed in my face, as everyone is for themselves, and heck with the rest.

I don't disagree that some people on cruises can be very rude but my experience is that they are the exceptions rather than the rule. And rudeness is certainly not confined to Americans. On the cruises I have been on the champion line-cutters have been non-Americans.

Barb

Having only 2 ports on a 7 day cruise makes for a less than pleasent cruise. I was on the Conquest last summer when Jamaica got cancelled because of a storm. I was pretty pissed off so I can understand how the pax feel. Especially when RCCL Rhapsody,(which follows the same itinarary) picked up Key West instead.

I wouldn't call him a nut, he is being ripped off and is trying to do something about it. I bet they could have made Jamaica but I believe Carnival would rather cancel the port to save money instead.

One of the drawbacks of a cruise is that you're at the mercy of the Captain's decisions - and if he decides not to go into port, there's nothing that getting pissed will resolve. This is the nature of a cruise vacation.

As for the topic:

Unfortunately I think the cruise lines have lost the battle. They have set up the situation so that the customer is pretty much always considered right even when they are wrong so they customers know they can get away with almost anything. They are afraid to enforce all kinds of written policies from pool deck chair hogs, to theater chair hogs, to children in the wrong hot tubs, the correct dress in the dining room, etc. From the ground up, a lot of passengers have learned that they can do whatever they want without fear of being asked to stop and that the louder they yell, the more they will get. It's unfortunate, but true.
I totally agree. Not only are they afraid to enforce the rules, they don't do it so that passengers will buy a future ticket. The cruise lines figure that repeat passengers will be lost if they are told "no."

The man on the Carnival cruise who got kicked off...should have been. But you have to realize that people feel this sense of "entitlement". Not generally, but to the nth degree. My last cruise I was absolutely horrified by the actions of the American vacationers. Rude, demanding, ignorant, etc. For the first time in my life, I was embarassed to be an American on the cruise sailing. People were not kind or polite. They cut in lines, they hog chairs, they yelled at other vacationers, and I don't know how many doors slammed in my face, as everyone is for themselves, and heck with the rest.

Please! It's not just Americans who are that way. Rudeness is a human trait. Not just an American trait.

I will give you that many Americans are ill prepared in traveling the world. The Natalie Holloway case is a prime example. I can't tell you the number of people who think that case wasn't handled right. They don't understand that once a person leaves the states, you also leave your American rights behind. It drives me batty!

Please! It's not just Americans who are that way. Rudeness is a human trait. Not just an American trait.

I will give you that many Americans are ill prepared in traveling the world. The Natalie Holloway case is a prime example. I can't tell you the number of people who think that case wasn't handled right. They don't understand that once a person leaves the states, you also leave your American rights behind. It drives me batty!

What drives me batty -that these people don't stop to think how many young women (and young men, old women, old men and every age in between ) disapear in every major city in the US and nothing can be done because there is not enough evidence. Take that Stacey Peterson-everyone is pretty sure her husband probally did her in but because there is no evidence nothing can be done.

That tells me even in the good ole USA if the person who murders another person is smart enough to cover their tracks and hide the body-then nothing can be done. The victim's family may never even know for sure if she/he is dead. That has to be horrible whether it is in or out of the USA.

You were p####d off because you missed Jamaica because of a storm?

You bet they could have made it??? So you know more about sailing than the captain?

Just how is he being ripped off? Sounds like you would have been right beside him with his ridiculous demands and you could have been with him when he was "dropped off".

You have misunderstood what I was saying. My cruise should have been re-routed to another port. RCCL just swapped Key West for Jamaica. I called Carnival 10 times in the days before the cruise when the storm was brewing closer and every person I spoke with said they would most likely add an optional port but didn't know the details. It wasn't until we got to the terminal that they told us it was just cancelled with no replacement and gave a whopping $25 credit.

The original poster who missed it because of an illness on board is what I bet could still have made Jamaica.

As far as being kicked off, the man had 500 + Pax sign his petition. So he wasn't the only angry person.

You have misunderstood what I was saying. My cruise should have been re-routed to another port. RCCL just swapped Key West for Jamaica. I called Carnival 10 times in the days before the cruise when the storm was brewing closer and every person I spoke with said they would most likely add an optional port but didn't know the details. It wasn't until we got to the terminal that they told us it was just cancelled with no replacement and gave a whopping $25 credit.

The original poster who missed it because of an illness on board is what I bet could still have made Jamaica.

As far as being kicked off, the man had 500 + Pax sign his petition. So he wasn't the only angry person.

From what I read on the Carnvial board from fellow PAX who witnessed the incident-(BTW some vidoetaped him) that this guy didn't just get up a petition-he with around 100 other people-of which he was the ringleader/spokeperson was yelling at the captain in front of the purser's desk and threatening to start a riot. He use that word-that he would start a "riot".

That is the differance between him and the 500 other PAX that signed that petition-they did not make a terrorist threat.

Sorry if I misunderstood.:(

...killed the word REASONABLE. May it R.I.P.

There used to be a time when one measured a company's response to an unexpected situation by asking if it was a reasonable response. Today, it is measured by if that response does or does not make me the individual happy. It is impossible to make 3000 + people happy when you have to respond to an unexpected situation. Yet that is the standard more and more people choose to apply. Not WAS IT REASONABLE but AM I HAPPY?

Here is a clue to everyone who believes AM I HAPPY is a good method to judge.

Happiness is a response YOU CHOOSE to external events. It is not something driven by external events beyond your control. Otherwise, how could poor people ever be happy? How could sick people ever be happy? Only by taking ownership of your happiness will you find it. Using AM I HAPPY to judge the world does not empower you - it LIMITS you.

I don't disagree that some people on cruises can be very rude but my experience is that they are the exceptions rather than the rule. And rudeness is certainly not confined to Americans. On the cruises I have been on the champion line-cutters have been non-Americans.

Barb

Oh yes. When i was on Costa in December of 2006, I would venture to say that over half of the passengers were European (we sailed out of Miami). Well, there were some MAJOR problems with embarkation. DH and I ended up in the back of a very long line because those who were definitely NOT American were pushing and shoving their way in front of us, and rather than get killed, we let them. We were in the last 2 seats of the very last bus that shuttled us from the terminal to the ship. And we were the last two on board the ship before the doors shut to sail away. But at least we weren't trampled.

Hello,

It is extremely sad that the poster from Spring, Texas did not visit Jamaica on his cruise, and that Carnival did not listen to him when he told them to substitute another port for Jamaica.

It is also extremely disturbing that he had to endure a day at sea when he should have been in Jamaica.

The man from Spring Texas should consider other vacations than travel by cruise ships. Frankly, a cruise is just not the vacation for him. There are storms and prudent Captains of ships with years of experience whose main responsibility is to protect the lives of his passengers and crew.

And there are cruise lines whose management are hugely successful business people, who do listen to their passengers but cannot always fulfill every wish, or right every wrong. The man from Spring, Texas just might have another complaint that a cruise line will choose either to ignore, or will try to compensate but with no guarantees that he will be satisfied.

A vacation in Texas might be much more meaningful, where he could walk or drive through any storm without any ship's captain telling him what to do or what not to do. He could also send his food back to the kitchen for fixing if the meat hasn't been cooked slow enough, or get the matress changed in his hotel/motel room.

Those of us who enjoy cruises know full well that a cruise is not a vacation at a hotel that is on the water. We understand that mother nature in all her glory and power, will cause ships to miss ports, and that you can have a wonderful day enjoying all that a cruise ship has to offer during a day at sea.

As it has been said and written many times, a cruise is not for everyone. If you are not flexible or adaptable as to the unexpected while on vacation, then respectfully, a cruise vacation is not for you.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

A fundamental answer to the original question is because people have pre-paid for their cruise.

"I've paid my money, now what are you people going to do so that I can tell all my friends I made the right decision to pay you up front and didn't make the wrong decision?"

Imagine if you had to pay after the vacation (we wish!). There would be a lot more folk saying what a great time they had, because, by paying, they have essentially agreed to "own" what has happened to them on the cruise.

If you like, it's the difference between a pre-paid meal at a restaurant and the very same meal, after which the bill is presented and paid.

As a tour operator in a previous life, I quickly learned to pick out the participants whose attitude was "OK, I've paid my money. Now, what are you going to do for me, huh?"

Another approach that is stone cold guaranteed to improve the enjoyment of any cruise is - to lower your expectations.

Applies to life in general, too.

First of all, if you look at the logistics of still making Jamaica, considering that the ship had to turn around, head back towards the US, and wait for the helicopter rescue, the passengers would have had all of two to three hours there before they needed to depart. Is that worth it? By the time the local authorities cleared the late arriving ship, there would have been no time for anything.

Second, 500 out of more than 3000 passengers isn't all that great, considering this man was knocking on cabin doors and walking around all the public areas of the ship to get his signatures. That leaves more than 2500 who DIDN'T sign this petition.

Third, where did you want your ship to go? Ports can only handle a finite number of ships/passengers at any one time and re-routing is not an easy thing to do. That's why, if you're one of those who's going to get hacked off if your plans are changed, don't cruise during hurricane season. Do you wonder why those cruises are less expensive? Now you know the reason. You pay your money, you take your chances. And anyone who cruises knows that you absolutely cannot call the head offices of ANY cruise line as those people don't know their tail from a hole in the ground. You can call 50 customer reps at at any cruise line, ask the same question, and you'll get at least 45 different answers.

Hello,

It is extremely sad that the poster from Spring, Texas did not visit Jamaica on his cruise, and that Carnival did not listen to him when he told them to substitute another port for Jamaica.

It is also extremely disturbing that he had to endure a day at sea when he should have been in Jamaica.

The man from Spring Texas should consider other vacations than travel by cruise ships. Frankly, a cruise is just not the vacation for him. There are storms and prudent Captains of ships with years of experience whose main responsibility is to protect the lives of his passengers and crew.

And there are cruise lines whose management are hugely successful business people, who do listen to their passengers but cannot always fulfill every wish, or right every wrong. The man from Spring, Texas just might have another complaint that a cruise line will choose either to ignore, or will try to compensate but with no guarantees that he will be satisfied.

A vacation in Texas might be much more meaningful, where he could walk or drive through any storm without any ship's captain telling him what to do or what not to do. He could also send his food back to the kitchen for fixing if the meat hasn't been cooked slow enough, or get the matress changed in his hotel/motel room.

Those of us who enjoy cruises know full well that a cruise is not a vacation at a hotel that is on the water. We understand that mother nature in all her glory and power, will cause ships to miss ports, and that you can have a wonderful day enjoying all that a cruise ship has to offer during a day at sea.

As it has been said and written many times, a cruise is not for everyone. If you are not flexible or adaptable as to the unexpected while on vacation, then respectfully, a cruise vacation is not for you.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Wow ! I couldn't have said it better ! Thanks Fred

How can the lines control ridiculous expectations?

Just look at their ads: gorgeous models frolicking on the beach, relaxing by the (deserted) pool, sweeping down the grand dining room stairway in slow motion and, in one case, the promise of movie-star treatment. (famefamefamefame)

When suggestible passengers encounter the reality of long lines, annoying tablemates, cancelled ports, and all the other little less-than-perfect details of cruising -- they feel they've been defrauded.

So while I agree with the comments about the general boorishness and sense of entitlement among many passengers, I also think the lines have played a part in creating the expectation of paradise-on-earth.

No, you "think" the ship could have been re-routed. The people who know more about ports, port time, maximum safe speed the cruise and ocean patterns "know' more about re-routing than you do. I know it really ticks me off when a customer, who know nothing about my job, starts telling me how I can do it better. I'm sure you like when someone who knows nothing about your job starts telling you how you can do it better.

I believe you missed the part that the man was no "KICKED" off for starting the petition..but for his verbal behaviour.

This whole thing is being blown out or proportion. I am not condoning the guy and he probably should have been kicked off. I know missing a port is not the end of the world and I wasn't even that big of a deal.

I was angry because they led me to believe that Jamaica would have been subsituted like RCCL did but did not tell us until boarding time. Also Jamaica was not hit hard and they could have made the stop on the original day, like RCCL Freedom ot Seas did. I spoke with pax from that ship at GC and their captain waited the storm out instead of canceling.

I know that its not that simple with logistics and port capacity ect, and maybe it was impossible to do. But my personal opinion is

that Carnival would rather have you stuck on their ship spending your $$$ on Gambling, booze, ect.

This whole thing is being blown out or proportion. I am not condoning the guy and he probably should have been kicked off. I know missing a port is not the end of the world and I wasn't even that big of a deal.

I was angry because they led me to believe that Jamaica would have been subsituted like RCCL did but did not tell us until boarding time. Also Jamaica was not hit hard and they could have made the stop on the original day, like RCCL Freedom ot Seas did. I spoke with pax from that ship at GC and their captain waited the storm out instead of canceling.

I know that its not that simple with logistics and port capacity ect, and maybe it was impossible to do. But my personal opinion is

that Carnival would rather have you stuck on their ship spending your $$$ on Gambling, booze, ect.

Maybe you should just not cruise Carnival.

How can the lines control ridiculous expectations?

Just look at their ads: gorgeous models frolicking on the beach, relaxing by the (deserted) pool, sweeping down the grand dining room stairway in slow motion and, in one case, the promise of movie-star treatment. (famefamefamefame)

When suggestible passengers encounter the reality of long lines, annoying tablemates, cancelled ports, and all the other little less-than-perfect details of cruising -- they feel they've been defrauded.

So while I agree with the comments about the general boorishness and sense of entitlement among many passengers, I also think the lines have played a part in creating the expectation of paradise-on-earth.

Yes. I demand that advertising for all products shows unattractive people having a miserable time. Those new car ads should show me in sweatpants cooling my heels in the service department instead of joyfully driving down the highway. Advertising for restaurants should dramatize the wait for tables and the forgotten salad instead of people enjoying themselves with a lovely meal in front of them. And the cruise lines- why, they're the worst! They need to show actual footage of steerage passengers from Ireland in 1848 (well, if only they could find it but maybe a historical re-enactment would work.);)

That may be the case ... or it may be that the companies have different guidelines about how they handle adverse situations.

Maybe you should just not cruise Carnival.

I really despise comments like this. I think the Captain should have absolute authority when sailing his vessel in emergency situations but it doesn't hurt for us to watch for trends on how things are handled and if they are being handled to satisfy the bottom line.

BTW:this from Carnival's 3/21/08 earnings analysis

“Although our strong revenue growth is expected to be offset by a forecasted 45% increase in fuel prices for the year, we still expect higher earnings per share than in 2007. This speaks volumes about our ability to weather difficult economic times, as well as, these extraordinary increases in fuel costs,” added Arison. source

matj2000 - I get what you are saying. Wasn't there a transatlantic ship (QM2?) that cancelled all the ports of call before the left port and didn't tell anyone until they were at sea?

Archived