Cayman rays on our own

Danno719

We will be on the Valor next week. I wanted us to go snorkel with the rays. Can you just book one when you walk off the ship? I remember stands being set up there last time we went (7 years ago?) I was wanting to get a better deal than the cruise ships offer, but didn't want to book online with an outside company, incase we have bad weather and don't get off at GC like I saw so many people on here said happened to them.Anyway, anyone know about hooking up with a Stingray city snorkel at the peir? How much does it save you as opposed to booking with Carnival?Any recent cruisers remember prices for the stingray city snorkel and beach break through Carnival?

• 2 weeks later...

I would pre-book with either nativeway, or

captain marvin. We did capt. marvin and it was around $40 pp

on a small boat early am with 25 people.

I would NEVER do it with Carnival. The tour costs double and has

100 people on the tour. you wont get the personal service

the smaller tours will give you.. and you beat the rush by doing

it 1st thing in the am! I think the stingrays are hungrier in the am too!

122953125_carnivalmiracle62506number2010.jpg.572e8e1844c60e7028e27887c51ef4a4.jpg

I was there 3 weeks ago and didn't see anyone standing around with tour signs like you do at the other ports. We used Soto's tours and loved them. We had 13 on our boat as opposed to 75 or more on the cruise boats that we saw. And half the price of the ship's excursion. Plus Soto's does NOT charge you if the ship doesn't come in or there is a weather problem.

I'm a cruise virgin, so be gentle...

How do you find these private outfits to do these fun-sounding events? Are they on-line or do you have to get these from a travel agent, or....?

I would appreciate some input/guidance.

And thanks in advance!!!!

Debra

countdown.pl?name=Debra&date=9-13-2008&image=Beach-8&text=&ship=Carnival Liberty

I'm a cruise virgin, so be gentle...

How do you find these private outfits to do these fun-sounding events? Are they on-line or do you have to get these from a travel agent, or....?

I would appreciate some input/guidance.

And thanks in advance!!!!

Debra

Debra,

Hi Debra,

You can find names of private tours on each ports of call. Then I usually do a search to read all about them and see what people say. You can also google the names as most of them have their own websites, or just ask in a post for their websites.

It is amazing how much information you can gather here. My DH and I would only do ship excursions until I found Cruise Critic. Now, I do everything myself. Just allow ample time to make sure you get back onboard.

Good luck and welcome to CC!

East Coaster,

Thanks... I was at the port of call link and will have to look more carefully to find them, but will also look on-line. I appreciate your response.

SO excited to be cruising. I have a husband that is "so so" about going--he's doing it because I wanted to--so I hope he comes away really enjoying himself and wanting MORE! Saving $$ is his M.O., so if we can find something reliable and less than a cruise excursion, all the better.

Appreciatively,

Debra

Last year we went with Capt Bryan, very reputable and fantastic excurison. We motored out on his catamaran, swam with the stingrays, then snorkled. After we finished he put up the sails, we laid on the deck and enjoyed the sun while coming sailing back to port. His crew were great. Under 30 people and Capt Bryan and his crew were great. They were in the water, it was rough out, they were very concerned about our safety, and worked great with everyone. Only $35 each! Easy walk from port, office located next to a fantastic bakery.

Here's my daugther in the water with the Capt and a picture of his crew.

696317163207_0_ALB.jpg.fb2c90bcdd881fe669164803e6d14fb4.jpg

566996461207_0_SM.jpg.c6dc6b1a9f72a7ed705bf19b5ca39a54.jpg

You are in the right place to find your excursions! For the last several years, I have only booked independent excursions that I found right here on the Port Of Call boards, and I have had fabulous experiences. Gone are my days of wearing a sticker with 100 people following a group leader carrying a flag, only to be packed like a sardine on a bus or boat :p There are at least three or four good operators that do Stingray City that you can find right here.

Read several pages on each of your ports, and you will find a myriad of choices. Have fun researching and even more fun on your dream excursions :)

Archived