Bristol

I'm on a British Isles cruise this year and one of our ports is Bristol, however the descriptions of excursions for this port say that it's an hour ride to Bristol. Any idea where the port actually is? Thanks

I would imagine you will go to Avonmouth Docks which is (surprise, surprise) at the mouth of the River Avon.

Simon

This is a different River Avon to the one at Stratford :)

I'm originally from Bristol and can't believe that it would ever take an hour to get from Avonmouth docks into the centre of Bristol but I can't think of anywhere else you would dock at. Which cruise line are you on? I'm curious now.

Julie

I'm originally from Bristol and can't believe that it would ever take an hour to get from Avonmouth docks into the centre of Bristol but I can't think of anywhere else you would dock at. Which cruise line are you on? I'm curious now.

Julie

Julie

We're on Regent Seven Seas Voyager. Now I'm thinking that the tour takes a roundabout or scenic route to Bristol from the Avonmouth docks and that's why it's taking so long. Upon reading the tour description again, it says "depart the pier for the scenic 1 hour drive to Bristol."

Mystery solved, I think.

http://visitbristol.co.uk/site/press-and-media/bristol-set-to-join-the-cruise-club-in-2008

I just found the above article which does confirm that you are docking in Avonmouth. The site might be of interest to you for some added info on Bristol.

Julie

Julie,

Thanks for the information. I had found that web site in my searches, but not the article about Regent.

Marti

I expect you will travel via the Clifton Suspension Bridge and through the older parts of Bristol. If you get the chance to visit the SS Great Britain it is very interesting - the first iron, propellor driven ocean liner. It is situated in the original dock it was built in in the 1840s. When do you visit? I would like to watch the ship sail past me at Weston-super-Mare!

Ships Cat

We arrive on September 7 at 8AM and depart the same day at 6 PM. I hope you get to see Voyager - it's a lovely ship.

I was curious about the Clifton Suspension Bridge that you mentioned, so I googled it and got several pictures of it. What a wonderful bridge. I certainly hope that we sail under it.

Shawski

Ships Cat

We arrive on September 7 at 8AM and depart the same day at 6 PM. I hope you get to see Voyager - it's a lovely ship.

I was curious about the Clifton Suspension Bridge that you mentioned, so I googled it and got several pictures of it. What a wonderful bridge. I certainly hope that we sail under it.

Shawski

You won't sail under it in the Voyager! The river is not deep enough!

Simon

Ships Cat

Shawski

No - unfortunately you definately won't sail under it, but may get to drive over it in the coach, or possibly along the river so you can look up at it. It is a beautiful bridge, designed by Brunel. Sadly I won't get to see Seven Seas Voyager as on that date I will be sailing to the Black Sea on Artemis.

Archived