Priceline expertise needed

lauriedun

I have never used priceline before but after reading posts will give it a try for one night precruise in March 2009. Some questions....

1. How far in advance do you attempt to book on Priceline? Is earlier better or are you better off waiting? We are traveling over spring break so I am worried rooms will be full and prices high.

2. Which months do you need to bid higher? I assume March will be high demand?

3. In San Juan, what type of hotel might you get if you request a 3*?

Thanks!

I have never used priceline before but after reading posts will give it a try for one night precruise in March 2009. Some questions....

1. How far in advance do you attempt to book on Priceline? Is earlier better or are you better off waiting? We are traveling over spring break so I am worried rooms will be full and prices high.

Thanks!

You might want to check out http://biddingfortravel.com

This is a great resource for tips on Priceline bidding and * ratings. You have to be very particular about your zones. It can certainly save you some money.

Mike

You might also want to check out http://www.betterbidding.com

I have been very lucky using both hotwire and priceline for hotels. I have always gotten a good deal, sometimes a great deal and only once was I disappointed (but I still stayed in the hotel and it was o.k.). Read a lot before you bid. Make sure you understand the free re-bid concept. You must be willing to take a risk.

I got the Intercontinental for the 31st of Dec -3 nights at $169.00 pn +tax.

This time I used as I was 99.9 % sure of the hotel I would get.

Thanks!

1. The sooner the better. You never know when you'll get a great deal. I got the Marriott Stellaris for $110 almost a year in advance, but we are going during low season.

2. Spring break, holdiays and Feb.-Mar. in general will be higher than low season, May-Nov.

3. Check http://www.betterbidding.com & http://www.biddingfortravel.com

I would stick with resort only in San Juan, there are no bad resorts, where there are some poor 3*. Remember that Puerto Rico is a free bidding zone, Priceline only has resorts in San Juan, so you can get multiple bids in one day simply by adding different areas, ie. Ponce, Dorado, there are no resorts there so you don't have to worry.

I would also recommend checking out the websites the previous posters mentioned.

I agree with toonjie, bid a resort level hotel and the sooner you bid the better.

I sailed out of San Juan lthis past November and booked the hotel last March on priceline. I got the Caribe Hilton for $75 on my first try.

I think if I was booking for next March, I would want to book the best rate reservation now at a desirable property at a reasonable rate. Use that as your safety net. Don't be alarmed if you don't get great Priceline rates at this point. It's all about projected occupancy. Sometimes the best Priceline deals are obtained closer to arrival date when they have excess projected inventory. But that's part of the challenge. Book the best you can now that you can cancel when you score a Priceline deal.

Mike

I think if I was booking for next March, I would want to book the best rate reservation now at a desirable property at a reasonable rate. Use that as your safety net. Don't be alarmed if you don't get great Priceline rates at this point. It's all about projected occupancy. Sometimes the best Priceline deals are obtained closer to arrival date when they have excess projected inventory. But that's part of the challenge. Book the best you can now that you can cancel when you score a Priceline deal.

Mike

Thanks, I think that is what I will do. Book it, then keep trying priceline to find a better deal.

I noticed you are in Ballwin, we are in Chesterfield. Small world!

Thanks, I think that is what I will do. Book it, then keep trying priceline to find a better deal.

I noticed you are in Ballwin, we are in Chesterfield. Small world!

We're pretty close, then, Laurie. Good luck with your bidding. We used Priceline one time for San Juan and got the Marriott Resort at a very good price. That's been a few years back, though.

Mike

I just bid on Priceline for January 15 - 18th 2009 and got The Intercontinental San Juan (Resort) for $162/night. There lowest posted rate is $329. That's the first time I've ever tried using Priceline and I think I'll use them all the time from now on. Why pay more than you have to?;)

Archived