What food do you MISS on a cruise?

cruisinbuddy

Green and Red Chili!

First thing I do when I get back from a cruise is to have a big ol plate of Huevos Rancheros. Then I know I am home.

For me it's a Carne Adovada burrito with red, or a plate of green chile cheese enchalates.

Yum!

muy a gusto!:)

Kel

Hum? Now I may be wrong... but only a person from New Mexico would think of red and green chili and the dishes made from them as comfort foods. I know green or red chili or both is what I'll eat before and after the cruise. You know how addicting chili is.

Hum? Now I may be wrong... but only a person from New Mexico would think of red and green chili and the dishes made from them as comfort foods. I know green or red chili or both is what I'll eat before and after the cruise. You know how addicting chili is.

toomuch,

Where do you live? We are in the ABQ right at the base of the Sandias. I grew up in the valley.

Kel:)

• 4 weeks later...

I miss breakfast! I mean, I eat breakfast every day on the ship but I don't like the limited options. We tend to eat lunch or dinner types of food for breakfast fairly often (can you say leftovers!) such as salmon in a whole wheat wrap, cold veggie pizza, etc. I really like a "vibrant" breakfast and get tired of ship breakfasts quickly. Also they don't have vegetarian sausages which cuts into the variety even more.

We also miss having a full variety of whole grain products--- it doesn't ruin our cruise, but we mostly eat only brown rice, whole wheat couscous and pastas, WW bread, WW wraps, etc.

My family and I all LOVE food of all types and enjoy a little of everything while on cruises. The one thing I think we all miss the most is Mexican food. We live in the Southwest so we are used to pretty authentic mexican food and while you can often get some type of hispanic food on board (taco bars, peppers, etc.) we often find the mexican food somewhat bland and are excited to get back home and have some delicious "Federico's" mexican food!

I miss brick oven pizza, deli sandwiches, and Tex Mex. We make up for the Tex Mex craving when we disembark in Bermuda by taking the ferry to Hamilton and visiting Rosa's Cantina. It's on East Front Street, just up the street from the ferry terminal. Their Ridiculous Burrito is huge and filling and very very yummy. :)

I miss potato chips, candy bars, and mountain dew.

I love ordering a plate of potato chips from Room Services! Tip from cruise critic after some one posted they ordered sandwich and chips and threw away sandwich. (Carnival!!! Delivers chips)

My family and I all LOVE food of all types and enjoy a little of everything while on cruises. The one thing I think we all miss the most is Mexican food. We live in the Southwest so we are used to pretty authentic mexican food and while you can often get some type of hispanic food on board (taco bars, peppers, etc.) we often find the mexican food somewhat bland and are excited to get back home and have some delicious "Federico's" mexican food!

Hi kati,

Never been to Federico's, but there is one just down the street from us -- I will give it try. I'm over in the ABQ -- I guess you are in Phoenix?

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Mixed Nuts!

I eat nuts almost every day for breakfast, by the end of the cruise, i'm craving more than the peanuts from the bar, I'm jonesing for Almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc...

Thank goodness Starbucks sells mixed nuts at many of its locations around the world, along with some of the onboard shops selling them too.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

for the record - confiture is jam (it is the French word for jam)

I miss snack foods in the evening...early dinner seating meant that I was hungry to snack around 9ish but there is not much to snack on (good diet strategy though:D)...next cruise I will sneak little bags of snacks in my luggage;)!

Merci!

Where on earth do you get sugar free/fat free yogurt? I've looked and looked but can only find fat free (with a ton of sugar in it!)

In the USA Light yogurts are generally referred to as fat free/sugar free.

However, I think I understand your question. Most "sugar free" yogurts simply have no added sugar, but there is still sugar from the fruit and lactose, even if the yogurt was sweetened with Splenda.

In order for the yogurt cultures to grow, lactose must be present or some other form of sugar.

To mitigate the sugar from the fruit, make your own version of fat free/sugar free yogurt - buy plain fat free yogurt and add in Walden Farms fruit syrups OR chocolate sauce or whatever you find appealing. These are calorie and carb free. www.waldenfarms.com 1/8 tsp vanilla extract can also be used along with Spenda to make a sugar free, fat free vanilla yogurt. However, the yogurt will still contain sugar from the lactose.

There are some soy based yogurts and a few other vegan appropriate yogurts, but these tend to contain added sugar.

In the USA Light yogurts are generally referred to as fat free/sugar free.

However, I think I understand your question. Most "sugar free" yogurts simply have no added sugar, but there is still sugar from the fruit and lactose, even if the yogurt was sweetened with Splenda.

In order for the yogurt cultures to grow, lactose must be present or some other form of sugar.

To mitigate the sugar from the fruit, make your own version of fat free/sugar free yogurt - buy plain fat free yogurt and add in Walden Farms fruit syrups OR chocolate sauce or whatever you find appealing. These are calorie and carb free. www.waldenfarms.com 1/8 tsp vanilla extract can also be used along with Spenda to make a sugar free, fat free vanilla yogurt. However, the yogurt will still contain sugar from the lactose.

There are some soy based yogurts and a few other vegan appropriate yogurts, but these tend to contain added sugar.

You sound like a south-beacher! ;) Thanks for the ideas.

• 5 months later...

Not really a missed food but when ever we go on holiday I always have to take my own tea bags. When visiting the US for the first time I "really" missed a good cupa, Lipton tea was horrible:(. I was like a kiddie with a sweetie bag in the British section of Epcot when I spotted they had Twinnings Earl Grey tea bags:cool:. From then on I always made sure to pack my own. Got my box already set aside for our first upcoming cruise. My favourite is Tetleys Earl Grey with Vanillia which I know I will never get on board ship:rolleyes:.

Don't really have a food I miss as I like to try different dishes, but Tea is another matter....

I don't miss a thing.....

Anything I would look for can be found while I cruise... from a nice burger on the Lido deck to a lobster tail in the dining room...

The only thing I *would* miss would be my Diet Pepsi, which cannot be found on the cruise lines I travel... but I can bring it aboard with me and stick it in the cabin fridge... so that leaves nothing to be missed.

Archived