Rockwall on AOS...

I'm sailing on the AOS in less than 2 weeks and have been thinking of the rockwall on board...

Has anyone climbed on the rockwall? I was watching the Great Cruises show on the Travel Channel and they were saying that they have easy "routes" and harder "routes". How easy is the easy?

I've always wanted to try and WHY NOT? I'm on a cruise!!!

Well I tried the "easy" one on Explorer and I didn't get very far. I thought it was a lot harder than it looked :eek: ...you need very good upper body strength to kind of pull yourself up. My kids pretty much flew to the top, but not me. So it really depends on what kind of shape you're in ;)

It also depends on how much help you ask for or get from the person spotting you. They can anchor themselves in and then pull you to the top - they did so with my 6 year old daughter and the person who was spotting said that with the pullies etc, he could pretty much pull anyone up if he wanted...

Just ask for some help and you will likely make it further than you expect...

Well I tried the "easy" one on Explorer and I didn't get very far. I thought it was a lot harder than it looked :eek: ...you need very good upper body strength to kind of pull yourself up. My kids pretty much flew to the top, but not me. So it really depends on what kind of shape you're in ;)

My daughter, with CP, made it to the top. Thanks to the spotter she had. She was ecstatic! As was the crowd that gathered around cheering her on.:D

I've been up Adventure's rockwall several times. Also several times up Explorer's, Mariner's, and Serenades. Yes, I love climbing the wall. The routes do vary from fairly easy to challenging. The staff will work with you to choose the route that is good for you and will help to try to get you to succeed.

Contrary to an above post you do not need a lot of upper body strenght. You should not be pulling yourself up most of the time but, rather, pushing yourself up with your legs.

I go up several times during a cruise as I just like climbing and the physical activity. Give it a try you have nothing to loose. And one piece of advice. If you try it and get to the top, take a few seconds and really look around at the view..... it is awesome.

Archived