How exactly DO you luxe up a mass-market cruise?

Leejnd4

Thanks LeeAnne for posting this topic and discussing it here - we have exactly same question in our minds. We have only cruised once (with Radisson Seven Seas) some years ago and that was just perfect. However, this was our honeymoon cruise so we had a budget for that :)

Today (we just decided that we want to come back for another cruise) we don't have our pockets full of money to take any cruise from the offering but we have to think what is valuable for us. Our plan is to go in December to Caribbean - some heavy review-reading ahead of us! Hopefully some other ideas will be posted here, too.

Can't blame you for your dissapointment with responses. I was reading along to discover the answers to your questions because I thought they were very good questions!

My husband and I began our cruising career only 6 years ago and our first experience was on Celebrity's Century. It was a very good experience in spite of my fears of motion sickness. The food and service were adequate and we enjoyed our waiters in the dining room. Since that time we have cruised with Celebrity again, HAL, Crystal, Regent and Princess. The Princess was a move of desperation to escape Utah's cold winter, booked only a week in advance and I will not make that mistake again! Although the suite was wonderful (don't remember the name but had a sitting room and bedroom with very nice bath - bar set-up, etc) -some level of penthouse with a HUGE balcony, the food was so terrible that I almost couldn't eat it. I was thankful to find chips and salsa at the buffet after dinner!

With that said, we are trying to decide what our cruise future looks like and are planning to return to Celebrity at some point for the value as you have, adjusting as many of the personal choice factors as possible. That will be a plan for next year as my husband retires this year - I retired last year and with the economic considerations in mind, I want to see as much of the world as possible.

We have an upcoming Baltic cruise - July 15 - on Regent's Voyager (fist on this ship) and Nov-Dec '08 Alexandria-Dubai on Seaborn's Spirit (first time on Seaborn). January '09 we are going to Antarctica with Regent on Minerva. SO, with those plans in mind, it's probably clear that I LOVE luxury cruising! However it is a big world out there and lots to see so seeking an economically viable method of doing so only makes sense!

I am certain we are not the only people in the world asking these questions so I do hope you will share the results of your research with us!

All the best, Camille

I have to say that although I have always cruised on Regent, or in Queen's or Princess Grill on Cunard, or Crystal, I agree that the cost of luxury cruising is reaching a point that I am not sure if I am getting "good value". Yes I agree the service is impeccable on Regent (although I think the food is good, not great) and quite frankly as I cruise more often, I really don't want the enforced formal dressing that Cunard and Crystal so frequently schedule. So knowing that booking on something other than a luxury line means something other than a luxury experience, I am experimenting by taking a SE Asia cruise on Azamara. On the luxury ships a regular cabin will do, and in Grill class on Cunard, I never bother with the alternative dining venues. So to make the trip on Azamara more special, I did book a sky suite (Azamara does by the way have a cruise to the Middle East but perhaps not when you want to go) and plan to dine in the specialty restaurants at least 4 times on the two week cruise. Also all my shore excursions have been privately planned with 4-8 people and we are overnighting on two different occasions, once on a Chinese Junk and once at a hotel in Phnom Penh where rooms come with private pools--all in order to get more quality sightseeing in during the cruise and avoid touring with 60 in a bus!

And I confessed I skimmed this thread, but did anyone suggest to tack on a luxury hotel stay on either end of the cruise to make the experience special. I am doing that both before and after the cruise as well as flying business class or better since the flights are long. I did this by booking my own airfare and cashing in miles for upgrades. That way, even if there are some disappointments, (although I am hoping not and am going to be flexible), the trip starts and finishes with nice touches. By the way I found booking my own excursions to cost half as much as that offered by the cruise ship so this allowed me to justify staying at 5 star properties before and after the cruise.

Finally, I really think the most important thing is your state of mind. You can luxe it up with simple things, like a better bottle of wine at dinner, an extra shopping gift to yourself (and mom) with the money you saved, flowers ordered for your cabin to be there when you depart, a couple of great massages on sea days, lunch at some luxury resort when you are in port, etc. Treat yourself well. That is the true way to go luxe!

"Luxing up" an Oceania cruise is exactly what we tried to do a couple of years ago after cruises on Regent and Silversea. We had our doubts but were travelling with extended family who'd cruised with Oceania before and loved it. We did as much as we could, booked Owners and Vista suites, ate in alternative restaurants, etc. However, we just couldn't get away from the "nickel and diming" feel..most especially, I resented being charged for the bottle of mineral water left on the table in the huge suite and the captain's deck party where I thought (silly me, used to luxury lines) that the waiters were offering free drinks, only to be asked to sign when I took a fluorescent green cocktail from the tray.

So it didn't work for us, but to be constructive, I think the best way to luxe up is to book the best accomodation you can, eat in alternative restaurants as often as possible, arrange your own excursions and, in general, use your cabin as your homebase and avoid much of the rest of what may seem like an overcrowded ship. Mostly, I think it's your mindset. If you're going to compare to luxury lines and get upset when irritating things happen..a charge for the shuttle bus out of the port...an order form for evening canapes ( a perk of the Vista suite) that states " 1 item per person", etc etc then it's not going to work. I think, in a sense, the "luxing up" has to happen in your mind. You need to decide that you've made your decision for reasons that work for you and you're not going to sweat the small stuff. For me, as I said, it didn't work, but it certainly works for lots and lots of people.

Nearly There I couldn't agree with you more on your sentiments about nickle and diming. . It is not the lesser staff to patient ratio or the smaller cabin or the less elaborate food offering. You expect that for what you are paying and I might add for what you are paying on a mass market ship you are generally getting good value for your money.

BUT THAT BEING SAID, When I was writing my post I was recalling the same issues. I was on line that shall go nameless for this post but suffice it to say I was on it because that is the ship everyone in my group wanted to take and it was the price range that some of them could afford and no higher. At the very first meal, lunch out by the pool (you know before you leave port and your cabin is not ready) it totally galled me that bottled water I asked for resulted in a $5 bill to sign to which an 18% tip was already added. Later that afternoon I discovered a sitting area near the ship's shops where coffee was served. Every ship as a coffee corner where anytime of the day you can have a cup of coffee or tea. But I became suspicious when it was not self serve and they had all these elaborate latte's and expresso. No I told the counter guy, just a plain cup of coffee, black. It was delicious---it cost $4! . I mean I have been charged for sodas on other ships BUT NEVER FOR COFFEE at any time EVER and NEVER FOR WATER DURING REGULAR MEALS IN THE DINING ROOM.

And beyond the extra this and the extra that, on things that should be free was the feeling of being clipped on things that often are not included. Most ships charge for cocktails beyond the Seabourn, Regent and Crystal other ultra luxury lines; but the charge is reasonable even a little lower than what I would pay in the US. The last time I was on Cunard in 2005, even though I was in Grill Class, I knew cocktails were extra. But the charge was $4 or $5 unless you ordered a premium label. Last October on Azamara (Celebrity's new Deluxe line) a Vodka Martini was $10 and a special one off there special Martini menu was $12 or $13.And then on top of that, a tip of 18% was automatically added to the bill, plus an extra $1.50 if heaven forbid you asked room service to bring you a cocktail while you showered and dressed for dinner. To be fair someone told me that the charges are more reasonable again.

But as you said and I quite agree, after the initial shock, I just let it go and had a wonderful time, because I was with the friend I wanted to be with and we had done our homework and had wonderful privately arranged shore excursions, often at less than what the ship offered. And all in all the few non-luxury cruises I did take were on small ships and in remembering each of them, I HAD A VERY GOOD TIME!

• 3 weeks later...
"Luxing up" an Oceania cruise is exactly what we tried to do a couple of years ago after cruises on Regent and Silversea. We had our doubts but were travelling with extended family who'd cruised with Oceania before and loved it. We did as much as we could, booked Owners and Vista suites, ate in alternative restaurants, etc. However, we just couldn't get away from the "nickel and diming" feel..most especially, I resented being charged for the bottle of mineral water left on the table in the huge suite and the captain's deck party where I thought (silly me, used to luxury lines) that the waiters were offering free drinks, only to be asked to sign when I took a fluorescent green cocktail from the tray.

So it didn't work for us, but to be constructive, I think the best way to luxe up is to book the best accomodation you can, eat in alternative restaurants as often as possible, arrange your own excursions and, in general, use your cabin as your homebase and avoid much of the rest of what may seem like an overcrowded ship. Mostly, I think it's your mindset. If you're going to compare to luxury lines and get upset when irritating things happen..a charge for the shuttle bus out of the port...an order form for evening canapes ( a perk of the Vista suite) that states " 1 item per person", etc etc then it's not going to work. I think, in a sense, the "luxing up" has to happen in your mind. You need to decide that you've made your decision for reasons that work for you and you're not going to sweat the small stuff. For me, as I said, it didn't work, but it certainly works for lots and lots of people.

I'm so glad I found this thread, I've been looking for suite comparisons from one line to another for months now. I'm a first time cruiser unless you count Canadian ferries and when I travel on land I have learned not to scrimp on hotels and always stay at a Hilton or above. However, the luxury lines are way out of my league and I have chosen to luxe up my first cruise on HAL next May to Alaska. I chose the top accomodations (deluxe suite) and a pre-hotel stay at the Westin in Seattle. I will be taking a limo to the cruise terminal, mainly to avoid "being taken for a ride" with a Seattle cabbie. But it will add to the luxe experience. I plan on taking full advantage of everything offered to my stateroom level: in room teas, breakfast in the Pinnacle (only open for breakfast for deluxe pax), room service lunch off the dining room menus. And I have no issue whatsoever with paying extra to dine in a supper club each night. If the spa has a thermal suite which I believe it does: I AM THERE! Best of all is the Amsterdams almost "all-suite" deck with the Neptune Lounge which appealed more than a smattering of suites scattered about the ship.

To make a long story short, out of all my research, HAL offered the best amenities for a mass-market line.

As far as ideas for the OP, I've been giving this a lot of thought myself and here is what I will be doing in addition to the above:

-ordering additional flower arrangements to be placed in my stateroom

-purchasing a spa pass and scheduling daily treatments

-avoiding anything that smacks of cheesey entertainment in the large lounges (land-based hotels are sometimes guilty of this too)

-using the concierge to handle all reservations on shore and on the ship

-dining on my balcony

-dining with other suite guests via the Queens room, a location within the dining room that HAL has set aside on their smaller ships

-Taking breakfast in the Pinnacle

-Arriving early for priority embarkation

-Attending all special invite events

-ordering the snack trays before dinner (stale or not)

-ordering in-room tea service

-invite friends to an in-suite sail-away cocktail party, which HAL will cater

I must point out I'm traveling solo. Since I already pay a high penalty, it was really only 1500 more to get the top level suite.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are looking to sail the Middle East in 2009, consider the last leg of the QM2 World Cruise.... it starts in Dubai and ends in New York. I noticed you were looking for something "between" the luxury lines and Celebrity. I think Cunard might be just about right, provided you choose Princess Grill or above.

I have been told that Cunard is not luxury even though the QE2 is a small ship and Cunard is listed on the luxury cruise websites.... must be that all-inclusive issue. While clearly not a mass-market line since there are only three ships, it may be the balance you are looking for.

If you are looking to sail the Middle East in 2009, consider the last leg of the QM2 World Cruise.... it starts in Dubai and ends in New York. I noticed you were looking for something "between" the luxury lines and Celebrity. I think Cunard might be just about right, provided you choose Princess Grill or above.

I have been told that Cunard is not luxury even though the QE2 is a small ship and Cunard is listed on the luxury cruise websites.... must be that all-inclusive issue. While clearly not a mass-market line since there are only three ships, it may be the balance you are looking for.

The size of the ship is not the issue of luxury. The QE2 by the way is now retired so Cunard now sails the QM2 and the new Queen Victoria.

Cunard provides different levels of service based on the accomodations selected. So, those in the highest price accomodations get to eat in an exclusive restaurant in the ship. Their service is closer to luxury but once they walk out to the rest of the ship then the service and other aspects of the cruise are closer to permium.

A ship could be luxury whether it carries 100 passengers or say up to 1,000. It depends on the level of service provided.

Keith

The size of the ship is not the issue of luxury. The QE2 by the way is now retired so Cunard now sails the QM2 and the new Queen Victoria.

Cunard provides different levels of service based on the accomodations selected. So, those in the highest price accomodations get to eat in an exclusive restaurant in the ship. Their service is closer to luxury but once they walk out to the rest of the ship then the service and other aspects of the cruise are closer to premium.

A ship could be luxury whether it carries 100 passengers or say up to 1,000. It depends on the level of service provided.

Keith

Believe me I know she is retiring but I thought her size and elegance made her a luxury liner.... at least that is what the majority of the cruising population considers her and Cunard in general to be. I think you may be right about the QM2 being more premium however, though she is only a few years old and prior to that Cunard was considered luxury. Perhaps the transition from QE2 to QM2 has made Cunard transition a bit from luxury to premium.....QE2 is in a class by herself, from a time of bygone days and can hardly be called premium by today's standards since that is a class that has developed since her beginning in 1967.

For those of you wanting to experience a true liner from the traditional days of transatlantic crossings, there are currently some staterooms available on all the remaining QE2 voyages except the very last one. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to take part in this little bit of liner history.

vjmatty,

The QE2, now retired, had different levels of service. Yes, those in the Queens Grill acommodations had luxury service but those in the bottom level did not have the luxury service. And that is the challenge because you basically have a ship that has different levels of service. I do agree with you the the QE2 was clearly at a different level with the QM2.

Anyway, I was just pointing out that size is not the factor and that the factor is the type of service of the ship.

There are small ships that provide mass market service and small ships that provide premium or luxury service.

And there are medium size ships that provide luxury service while others at their size can provide mass market or premium services.

Keith

vjmatty,

The QE2, now retired, had different levels of service. Yes, those in the Queens Grill acommodations had luxury service but those in the bottom level did not have the luxury service. And that is the challenge because you basically have a ship that has different levels of service. I do agree with you the the QE2 was clearly at a different level with the QM2.

Anyway, I was just pointing out that size is not the factor and that the factor is the type of service of the ship.

There are small ships that provide mass market service and small ships that provide premium or luxury service.

And there are medium size ships that provide luxury service while others at their size can provide mass market or premium services.

Keith

Oh I agree there are different levels of service, however I can tell you having been in Princess Grille on QE2 I wouldn't know the difference if the whole ship were Grille quality or if half the ship were non-luxury class, as it is now. The dining and lounges are set up for separate levels of service, Grille vs. non-Grille where the dining rooms for Queens and Princess are more like specialty restaurants than large dining halls of non-Grille, and you can't tell by looking at a passenger that you might run into at the library or theater what level he or she is sailing at.

When she retires, the QE2 will leave Cunard with only premium cruising by way of the QM2 and QV.

vjmatty, yes, I keep thinking of the QE2 as retired, but she sails until early November 2008.

Anway, I understand about the Queens Grill but she really is a hybrid ship because for those who do not have Queens Grill service as you did they will not have a luxury cruise experience.

Keith

vjmatty, yes, I keep thinking of the QE2 as retired, but she sails until early November 2008.

Anway, I understand about the Queens Grill but she really is a hybrid ship because for those who do not have Queens Grill service as you did they will not have a luxury cruise experience.

Keith

And I'm the opposite, still in denial that it will soon be over ;)

In any event, before I got us sidetracked on the definition of luxury, my point was to suggest the QM2 as a NON luxury alternative which may have the hybrid qualities the OP is seeking... this way she can "lux up" accordingly by choosing PG or QG

• 3 months later...

As two demographically younger persons (31 and 52) who have cruise from Egypt to Singapore on Silversea, we would both agree and disagree with your decision.

As and "class of passenger" tend to change based on the type and destinations. I have found that even on the premium cruiselines the class of passenger tends to go up on Middle East, European and Trans Atlantic cruises. I would choose carefully on shorter cruises particularly Caribbean.

When we were on Silversea, we really enjoy the people even though it was an older crowd for the most part. We found that we were always asked by other people to join them for dinner etc. The service and food on Silversea is second to none. In the Middle East, you may want to consider using the ships service for excursions particularly in countries like Egypt. If you are doing just a quick trip into town etc, feel free just to book a taxi.

I would believe that you will overall have a good time on a premium class ship doing what you are doing, however in the Middle East, the quality of excursion can differ greatly and Silversea pays a premium to have the best service.

Enjoy your trip

Phillip

Wow, how fun to see this thread resurrected after all this time! I'd completely forgotten about it.

Phillip, thanks for your input. I did actually change my booking over to a Celebrity cruise on Equinox, but the cruise isn't for another 11 months, so it'll be a year before I can come back and report as to whether or not my "luxing it up" on a mass-market cruise idea worked. I have high hopes, though! :) There are some good reports coming out of the very first passengers on Solstice, the first ship of this class that just had its pre-inaugural cruise, and the ship I'll be on (Equinox) will be identical, once it's completed.

I wish someone had given an actual answer to your question also since I was wondering the same thing. For the money difference, think of how much more you can do in each port! I personally don't drink, the soda I like is not something carried anywhere so I'd have to get it myself anyway, I like simple breakfasts, eat off the ship on port days, and don't expect any waiter to remember anything I ordered(even at restaurants I've been going to constantly for 3+ years(I eat at 5* restaurants 2-3 times a week)...if they do, I am just elated...but never expect it). you can bring your own bottled water aboard, call and see what the policies are about bringing wine aboard during the cruise. The savings are enough that if you bought more than they allowed, you could have the wine FedEx-ed to friends to keep for you till you get home. I'd say JUST DO IT! Its not like you are taking Carnival or something of that nature. I'm new to cruising, but ala carte pricing suits me just fine. My very first cruise will be on the Holland America's Oosterdam this December 13th, due to the fact my only other choice was princess and I felt the balcony issues on the sapphire would have bothered me. I consider myself a luxury traveler, and I'll write a review of my experience. I believe from what I've read online that HAL and CelebX are considered comparable. I thought I read somewhere that in the premium lines the crew:guest ratio is 1:1.8...I believe that is more than enough in my books. Also I'm looking into European cruises on '09-'10. I am quite intrigued by Oceana, and I think that suits my tastes well(being that I don't drink, and I like to eat at the same time daily). I just believe the price doesn't justify the "perks" of luxury versus premium. Then again, most the perks are useless to me I don't care about booze, my husband tips personally whether included or not, I really care less if I have to tell my waiter that I like no lemon with my ice tea every day.

I think in your case, being with your mom, go with the premium, you will find more people to be around. Plus I'd much rather book excursions separately or do my own thing.

But to all, His own!

PS Doesn't Celebrity have alternative restaurants to dine in when you want?

• 1 month later...

To all,

So far, we have tried Celebrity, RCL, NCL, Princess, Disney, Crystal, and

Oceania all in a suite room with at least 400 sq. foot of space. Many say

that Crystal and Oceania is a luxury crusing but to my standard, it is not.

Both Cruise Lines are excellent but we don't like the small or medium ship

feel. There's nothing to do in this size of ships. I know that many are

saying that space ratio and crew to passenger ratio is important to a

luxury cruising, but for us this is just secondary.

Yes, you can feel luxury crusing on board big large ships. But in order to

experience this, you must be booked in a suite (which must not be the

lowest category). In our experience in Celebrity, NCL, Princess and

Disney, they give special attention to suite room guests. You don't have

to wait or take a line on dining, special section in theaters, order all you

like in any restaurants (you can even order 2 to 3 main entree at a time

in the Dining Room), a butler and / or a conceirge at your disposal 24

hours a day, bigger room space which for us is the most important. If any

crew member sees your room card key (which usually has different color

than any passengers) you could feel that they give different attention to

you. Almost all your request are granted as if you are the King or Queen

of the whole ship. RCL is not that impressive in treating their suite room

guests.

For me who has been in big ships and these so called luxury ships (Crystal

and Oceania), I would definitely recommend taking the big ships from the

above cruise lines as long as you take a suite room.

Hope this Helps!!!

• 3 months later...

I read with interest your threads about luxury cruises vs. premium. Having just disembarked from the Celebrity Solstice two weeks ago and also being a very loyal Celebrity customer since 1995, I feel that I am qualified to post some insights on this new class of Celebrity ships, which also will include the Equinox and the Eclipse. I truly could not wait to cruise on the Solstice. My many trips on Celebrity ships (the Zenith, the Century, the Galaxy, the Millennium) have been nothing but amazing in every aspect--the level of service in the past on these ships were very close to 5-star, every meal, whether in the dining room or specialty restaurants, were amazing, the ships were beautiful and they were truly a wonderful cruising experience at a premium level. I'm afraid this is not so on the Solstice and perhaps the other ships of this class. I have already spoken with three representatives from this ship who have offered to send me vouchers to sail with them again. The Solstice managed to do what no other Celebrity ship has ever done--it made me want to get off, and stay off. First, we have cruised both Concierge Class and Aqua Class. Just about everything that they represent about Aqua Class is untrue. I believe it is just a way to sell cabins that are completely undesirable. What you may not realize is that these cabins are below the pool deck/spa/gym. Under normal circumstances, I would never book a cabin underneath a public area. You can hear everything--the music, the people walking, the early morning cleaning of the pool area, the weights being dropped in the gym, etc., etc. The aromatherapy in the rooms consist of a diffuser with reeds that you can get at any Bed, Bath and Beyond, the ambient sound is satellite radio that sometimes worked and sometimes did not (and every cabin has it--it is not exclusive to Aqua Class)--the rooms are not passenger-friendly and neither is the ship. We were told that the adults-only solarium pool would be exclusive to Aqua Spa and other passengers would have to pay a fee to use--this was not true--any passenger on this ship can use this amenity--on the first day there were even children diving and jumping into the solarium pool. It was only after many passengers complained that finally Security became more available. The Relaxation Room (again, we were told would be exclusive to Aqua Class), although beautiful, was just the waiting area for the Spa clients--the Spa staff would constantly be coming in and calling names and talking to the clients--this was not the "relaxation experience" we were hoping for and there are no gardens in the Persian Gardens--it is a bare white & blue tiled room (the Celebrity colors) with heated tile beds, a sauna (with a foul-odor) and a steam room. There are so many things wrong about the design of the ship that it would take a book to describe it all. The wonderful service that this cruise line always prided itself on is a thing of the past. All the little amenities that kept me coming back to Celebrity are no longer being offered and if this is the case, then I may as well go to other cruise lines. The major, major difference is the food. What use to be an amazing culinary experience under the direction of 5-Star <?xml:namespace prefix = st2 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st2:PersonName w:st=</st2:PersonName>Executive Chef <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas:contacts" /><st1:GivenName w:st="on">Michel</st1:GivenName> <st1:Sn w:st="on">Roux</st1:Sn>, has, at best, turned into a very mediocre wedding hall experience under the direction of Elizabeth Blau & Associates. The Specialty Restaurants are not any better--they are just a way to empty your pockets even further. And don't ever go into the Oceanview Cafe--the passengers dubbed it "The Food Court"--this area is so completely wrong. People moved around with their plates and utensils in hand (there were no trays to be found since Celebrity has decided that this would make it too cafeteria-like), trying to go from food station to food station, like bad jugglers in a circus and then were unable to find seats to relieve them of their burden--the overcrowding was an everyday occurence. Celebrity should be ashamed of themselves for putting their passengers in a very dangerous situation, trying to hold their food/utensils/drinks on a moving ship. When I asked a representative about the lack of trays in the Cafe, her response to me was "Well, we made the plates bigger"???? Once you finally do find a seat, you will have to to get up 2, 3, 4 times to get things you could not carry all at once and then come back to a cold, even more unappetizing plate of food. Those passengers that I spoke with who have cruised with Celebrity in the past were extremely disappointed with these issues because we know what Celebrity was and is no more. Those passengers cruising for the first time thought that this was the best cruise experience ever. So I guess it is all relative. On a positive note, the staff (including housekeeping, cabin attendants, waitstaff, guest relations, etc.) are still of the same excellence and after speaking with many of them, they also expressed their concerns about the numerous changes on the ship and the dissatisfaction of the passengers. I'm hoping that Celebrity will leave this one bright light shining on their ships but I'm not confident.<O:p</O:p

<O:p></O:p>

In closing, if you are use to being on luxury cruises, there is absolutely nothing you can do to make this a good trip. And believe me, it saddens me that I feel this way about Celebrity. If I were you, I would rebook my original cruise since I don't believe that mediocre will serve you well in any way unless you spend all your time at the Solstice Martini Bar.<O:p</O:p

<O:p></O:p>

Good Luck!<O:p></O:p>

<O:p</O:p

Spike, I see that this is your first post on Cruise Critic...Welcome! It's unfortunate that your first post is such a negative review, though...Cruise Critic members tend to not give a lot of weight to "one post wonders" who pop into CC to unload a cruise-bashing post, and then never come back.

However, after reading your post, and having previously read many similar reports coming from Solstice cruisers, I'm believe your post is a genuine review. All of your complaints are ones that have been coming consistently from that ship.

With that in mind, you probably won't be surprised to learn that I actually cancelled my Celebrity cruise, and switched to a Baltics itinerary on Crystal, which departs in two months. After all the reading I did about Solstice, I came to the ultimate conclusion that my idea of "luxing up" a mass-market cruise was simply untenable - at least right now, on these ships, with the type of cost-cutting measures that seem to be going on across the mass-market cruise industry.

Yes, my Crystal cruise is more expensive - but when you include the promotions that they are offering (including something they are calling "As You Wish", which is giving us $2,000 in OBC, on top of several other promotions leaving us with almost $3000 in OBC!), it's really not all that MUCH more! And from all that I have read, Crystal is one cruise line that has made it a priority to NOT degrade the passenger experience in order to reduce costs and increase profits during this economic downturn.

I do understand the business needs resulting in the degradation of some mass-market cruises...and I am certainly sympathetic. And as so many others have said, I agree that the worst day cruising is still better than the best day NOT cruising. But I get to go on so few cruises that, for me, I would rather have the experience be exceptional from EVERY perspective - and not have to work so hard at trying to make it exceptional by trying to turn it into something it's not. Celebrity is a great product, but they are not one of the luxury lines. Crystal is. And from all that I have read and heard, the experience of passengers on both lines confirms that.

So I am basically taking back everything I said earlier in this thread, when I was so convinced I could luxe up a mass-market cruise! :o

LeeAnne,

I read your post and told my friend about it, her screenname is Spike. We both signed up for this web site recently. My friend and I only found cruisecritic.com after a friend of ours was on the Solstice in March and gave it a very poor review (not on this site, but to us via email). We became concerned and googled for reviews on the Solstice and that is how we found cruisecritic.com.

Aqua Class simply does not deliver. They market it well, but sadly only their marketing team is excellent, not the actual product. The areas that are supposed to be exclusive are not. I too thought I was going to have a luxury experience. The best of Aqua Class is Blu. Blu is exceptional for Breakfast. We had dinner there twice, once was "acceptable" the other dining experience was excellent. The service in Blu is exceptional. I am an early riser so out of the 4 of us that went, I am the only one that made it to Blu consistently for breakfast.

I have only been on 2 cruises. The first on the Century also with Celebrity. My husband and I had a wonderful time and everything was top notch, especially the cuisine and service. The Solstice, other than Blu, the ports and the Martini Bar, was a big disappointment to me. I had never planned to consider any other line as Celebrity fit my needs and my budget. The luxury lines we will have to vacation less often, but I do plan to try them.

I hope you have a wonderful Cruise. I plan to try Crystal at some point. I am very glad I found your thread. I was wondering about the differences in a premium line vs. a luxury line and I have a very good sense of things now.

For Leejnd4--

I am truly relieved to hear that you have rebooked your cruise with Crystal. I did not want you to waste your time or money looking for a good experience on a ship that will do nothing but disappoint you. I feel as you do--my vacations are very special and we work hard to take them. I would much rather pay extra for an experience that I know will be worth it and I am hoping to make my next cruise on a luxury cruise line since Celebrity may no longer be an option unless they really care and listen to their loyal passengers. I told all the representatives that they needed to go onto this website to see what people are saying about this ship. On some level, I do believe they are listening since I received a call from a representative the day after I returned and she was actually reading my comments from the review card I left on the ship the day before. I am actually very happy that we found this site--I had never known about it until about a month or so ago. You can rest assured that I will not be a one-time poster and that I will be more than happy to post positive reviews also whenever I can. Actually, there were quite a few members of the Cruise Critic "Cabin Crawl" on our Solstice Trip (they had notices on the outside of their cabin doors). It will be very interesting to see what they post about this ship.

Have a wonderful trip and please post your experience so that I may live vicariously through you until I can plan my next cruise.

Sincerely--

Spike 4/19 (in memory of my little yorkie)

Ah Leeann, you came over to the "dark side" LOL!!!! Things did get rather tense when some tried to explain that you really cannnot luxe up a mass market. Yes, cost cutting measures are making that even more impossible, and as a fan of Celebrity, I'm getting more and more upset with how things are going with that line. We just returned from 14 days on Infinity, and dined every night in the SS United States which was absolutely sublime. But now, that they're going to totally change the atmosphere in their specialty restaurants, we decided we're probably going to rethink cruising on Celebrity. Why pay $30 per person for an ordinary experience? The tableside preparation of entrees and things like the cheese course and souffle made dining there a real special evening. With those things gone, it's just another restaurant. I don't know what Celebrity is thinking. Why ruin one of their best things?

Ah Leeann, you came over to the "dark side" LOL!!!!

Hi Darcie! Your post cracked me up. ;) Yes, I actually CAN change my mind, and reading the posts and opinions of others really can sway my opinion. That's one thing I've always tried to emphasize whenever I've gotten into debates and differences of opinions in here -- I actually do want to hear others' opinions, and will carefully think them through and change my own, if I hear a compelling enough argument. (Unlike some people who set their minds on a particular bent and refuse to consider alternative ways of thinking, because they seem to feel that changing their minds is a sign of weakness...and I know we long-time CC members have seen lots of those folks, haven't we?) :p

In this case, I heard the compelling argument. Sadly, I do think that if this economic downturn hadn't occurred, impacting these particular ships so strongly, it might still have been possible to craft a reasonably luxurious cruise experience from that cruise. But I was basing that on the ship delivering all that it had promised. From everything I've since read, that appears to not be the case.

Add onto that the concessions that Crystal is making in terms of costs and promotions, and the choice became even more clear. The two different cruises drew much closer together in terms of price, and much further apart in terms of luxury. At that point it became a no-brainer.

I still think I was onto something with trying to "luxe up" a mass-market cruise - but take note of how long ago I made that first post. That was over a year ago, before anyone had even heard of the term "Stimulus package"! Back then, the cruise lines hadn't yet started to squeeze every last penny out of their cruises by cutting back, reducing quality, degrading service. In today's mass-market cruise world, from what I'm reading, it seems to be more about how little they can spend and still keep people buying cruises. This is not a condemnation of the cruise lines - just an observation. I'm fortunate that I am in a situation where I can spend a bit more and choose a cruise line that isn't (yet) making those tough changes.

Celebrity has a LOT more cabins to fill than Crystal...with even more soon to be released. I'm sure that is playing a role in why Celebrity seems to be making more cut-backs in the experience than Crystal. Hopefully when this economy turns around, Celebrity will go back to being willing to spend more to improve their product. But for now, I'm going with a company that seems to be able to continue to invest enough into their product to maintain the experience at the level that its many loyal customers have come to expect.

I look forward to someday, when the economy improves and mass-market cruise lines turn the corner, being able to come BACK to this thread (the thread that won't die! lol) and discuss how to luxe up a mass-market cruise. But for now I don't think it's possible...at least to the degree that I desire.

Spike & Freetosail: Welcome to Cruise Critic, and I hope you find this place as valuable as I do. If you want to hear more about the Crystal experience, pop on over to the Crystal forum. You will find many very happy cruisers over there. It was reading their constant glowing reports that swayed me over to that line. :)

LeeAnne,

You're not alone in being persuaded to book with Crystal because of their "as you wish" on-board credit promotion. Of course, they can't lose with this promotion. Unlike a price-cutting exercise, they are assured that passengers will spend the credit on board, or lose it. Thus the cash goes back into Crystal's coffers. Their latest press release states that this promotion is being further extended, through 2010. However, the South American Christmas cruise I have booked with Crystal this year is still exempt from this promotion. I suppose it's just a question of supply and demand, but it wouldn't cost much to make this passenger a happy camper.

Archived