How exactly DO you luxe up a mass-market cruise?

Leejnd4

There have been comments made by many, many people who post on Crystal's board that it is the most civil and friendly board on Cruise Critic. There's no rudeness or bashing going on there, but if someone says something that is inherently wrong, something based not on fact, someone will make an opposing opinion known. What I do love is people who come on any board, be it Regent or Seabourn or Silversea and make negative comments on those lines despite the fact that they've never been on those lines. That situation can lead to some heated discussions. Fortunately for me, I've been on all FOUR luxury lines, each more than once, so valid comparisons can be made, although many times those comparisons made by most people are based on their OPINIONS of those lines, and we all know that one person's Mercedes is another person's dump truck.

Unfortunately, 90% of Crystal vs. Regent threads are deleted by CC. The exact same members from Crystal start posting immediately -- more about what is wrong with Regent than what is right with Crystal. The speed at which these people appear on this subject makes me envision them lurking in the background -- just waiting to attack. JMO.

I can attest to the fact that 90% of Crystal vs. Regent threads ARE NOT deleted by CC... Not even CLOSE... Come on TC....

Host Dan

So many things I want to respond to in the most recent discussions on this thread! :o

There is absolutely no doubt that Crystal is a luxury line. The one thing I might take issue with is that the $2000 OBC they are providing now (and only on certain sailings) equates with the all inclusive lines. As soon as the economy improves and bookings pick up that OBC will be gone with the wind while the all inclusive lines will remain so.

Wripro, I wonder about this myself. I'm very curious what the driving force was behind Crystal's decision to implement their "As You Wish" benefit - was it to address the negative comparison that they are the only luxury line that isn't all-inclusive? Or was it a unique (and less-financially-impactful) discount implemented to address falling sales due to the economic downturn? Or a combination of both? If the former factored into it at all, then I tend to agree with Keith that even when the economy "turns around" (whatever that means, and whenever that will be!) they will either continue this benefit, or come up with something similar to achieve the same result. If it was all about the latter, then I would think that when the economy (and bookings) improve, it will, as you say, be gone with the wind. I guess we'll just have to stay tuned to see! But that's a question I would love to pose to Crystal management, as I think the answer would help us to foresee the future, at least a little bit. :)

Okay -- there are always threads about cruise line 1 vs. cruise line 2. In the case of Regent, it's generally Silversea, Seabourn or Crystal vs. Regent. With Silversea or Seabourn, they are usually very interesting threads -- lots of sharing of information. No one putting either cruise line down. Unfortunately, 90% of Crystal vs. Regent threads are deleted by CC. The exact same members from Crystal start posting immediately -- more about what is wrong with Regent than what is right with Crystal. The speed at which these people appear on this subject makes me envision them lurking in the background -- just waiting to attack.

TC, I have read many "Regent vs. Crystal" threads, especially during the period of time when I was trying to decide on this upcoming cruise...and I too have seen some of them disappear. And I will say, as essentially an "outside observer" (meaning, having not yet cruised Crystal I had nothing of value to offer...so I guess I was a lurker!), that I have seen sniping comments from BOTH sides. In the Crystal vs Regent threads that I've seen disappear, I saw just as much "bad behavior", if you will, from the Regent fans as I did from the Crystal fans. And please understand that I truly am an objective observer in this. I have been on two different Regent ships so far, and have met quite a few people from the Regent board in person, either on cruises or at planned get-togethers...so some might assume that I would fall more on the Regent side in terms of my, shall we say, sympathies. But I will tell you that some of the Regent fans have been just as unfair, unreasonable, and downright rude in their posts as any I observed from Crystal.

The key things that I've seen in these threads, which often cause them to spiral down into unpleasantness, have been some pretty harsh comments about the issues that many Regent loyalists claim are the primary reasons they would never cruise Crystal: the lack of inclusiveness (the "signing of chits"), and the fixed seat dining. What's been troublesome in the past has been the way in which these items are mentioned - as if they are just such horrific qualities that no cruiser with refined sensibilities would ever consider a cruise line that does those things as a luxury product, or as something they would ever want to expose themselves to. And that kind of attitude understandably causes the Crystal loyalists' hackles to raise, because it's essentially a criticism of THEM...it's suggesting that they are somehow less refined, or less demanding, or happy with a lesser product. In almost all of these threads, I usually end up feeling more empathy for the Crystal folks than the Regent folks!

Which is kind of ironic, because I too prefer open seating and not having to sign chits. But I also recognize that these are simply characteristics of Crystal cruises that I need to be aware of, and must decide if my preferences are enough to keep me off that line, or not. I've decided that they are not, so I will try Crystal and see what I think.

But the whole us-vs-them, deleted-thread thing is really completely unnecessary, and downright silly. As was discussed earlier in this thread, those particular characteristics of Crystal cruises are NOT a defining criteria for a luxury line. EVERY SINGLE cruise categorization I have ever seen includes Crystal in the luxury category, in spite of them. So it's completely a matter of deciding for oneself whether you prefer them or, if you don't, you are willing to accept them. Some are. Some aren't. But those who ARE willing to accept them, or even prefer, them, should not be attacked as if they are somehow less worthy...less discriminating...less refined...or willing to "accept the unacceptable". THAT'S where I see these threads heading sideways, almost every time.

Since I promised to stay on subject -- and am doing so a little late in this post. . . this is actually a question. If, for instance, you have the best cabin on a mainstream cruise line, isn't the food a lesser quality than on a premium or luxury line?

Yes, I would agree with you that if you are on a mainstream line you are pretty much stuck with the lesser quality food...UNLESS you have the option of dining frequently in their specialty restaurants. That was originally my intention when I booked a Celebrity Equinox cruise - I was planning on eating all of my dinners in the specialty restaurants. That was my idea of "luxing up" a mass-market cruise. At least, that WAS my plan - until I started reading reviews that these specialty restaurants were not always meeting expectations. So I transferred back to a line where I KNEW my desires for high-quality dining would be met.

It seems to be that a person could book a top cabin on a premium cruise line (like Oceania) and perhaps get close to the feel of a luxury line. :confused:

That's probably true - and that's also one of the things I was considering. My intent was to find a way to come at least reasonably close to a luxury cruise experience, without paying the stratospheric luxury-line prices. I now think that the BEST way to do this is, in fact, to book a higher category cabin on one of the premium lines, rather than one of the mass-market lines. But in the end, with the prices coming down, I ended up just saying oh-the-hell-with-it ;) and switching over to Crystal.

I never care for posts with this line vs. this line. The word versue already is a problem.

When peope ask this line vs. that line I will tell them about each line or one line but I won't make it this verus that. Nothing good comes from that.

Keith, I actually have to disagree with you here. I DO find line-vs-line discussions to be greatly of value! The key thing, which I hope I hit on well enough earlier in this post, is for people to be careful how they state things...to eliminate the wording that puts down the PEOPLE for their choices, or makes value judgments that come across as offensive to the fans of one or the other lines. It's all in the delivery!

But I do find great value in line-vs-line comparisons. And I'm currently in a decision mode right now where I'm reading a lot of them! My husband and I are looking at our next cruise, which we want to be in French Polynesia. We're trying to choose between Windstar (which we enjoyed in Costa Rica), the Paul Gauguin (which I cruised with my Mom, but not hubby), and Star Clippers, which I think my husband will enjoy the most, due to his love for real sailing. I am truly torn between these three very different choices! Some might say that it's a no-brainer - if you price isn't an issue (and in this particular case it's not the driving force behind the decision), of COURSE you would go with the higher-end ship (the PG). But it's not that simple! Charlie LOVES sailing, and he prefers a more casual atmosphere...so I think he might prefer the Star Clipper...whereas I prefer more luxury...anyway, we have lots more discovery and discussion to do on this decision. So I will be haunting all three boards until I feel I have enough comparisons to make the choice.

Anyway, this continues to be an interesting thread! :D

And more! :D

There have been comments made by many, many people who post on Crystal's board that it is the most civil and friendly board on Cruise Critic. There's no rudeness or bashing going on there, but if someone says something that is inherently wrong, something based not on fact, someone will make an opposing opinion known.

Weeeeellllll.....not to dredge up unpleasantness, but allow me to point out that, while I would agree the Crystal board is more civil and friendly than most on Cruise Critic...it ain't perfect! I got pretty well trashed on that board, for nothing more than having posted something critical and unflattering about Crystal. It wasn't wrong (my information was accurate), it wasn't rude (although some people took issue with the use of the word "sleazy" to define something they do that I still feel is unethical), and it didn't mention a single person on Cruise Critic (although it did mention a person at Crystal corporate whom I feel acted in a less-than-ethical manner towards me). And I got roundly dumped on. But I've already addressed that in here - I know that it was a manifestation of that human phenomenon of taking criticisms of your favorite line personally. None of my post was critical of anyone other than the cruise line corporation itself, for something they do that I feel deserves criticism, and that I experienced personally. And for that I was pilloried.

But this type of thing happens on every single cruise line forum on Cruise Critic. Every cruise line forum has its "apologists" who can't tolerate criticism of their favorite line. Still, even with that incident, I really do think that the Crystal forum is among the MOST polite and accepting on Cruise Critic. Hey, Cruise Critic can be a bit of a jungle! :D

What I do love is people who come on any board, be it Regent or Seabourn or Silversea and make negative comments on those lines despite the fact that they've never been on those lines. That situation can lead to some heated discussions.
I couldn't agree with you more!

Fortunately for me, I've been on all FOUR luxury lines, each more than once, so valid comparisons can be made, although many times those comparisons made by most people are based on their OPINIONS of those lines, and we all know that one person's Mercedes is another person's dump truck.

Y'know, if I had my druthers, and if finances and vacation time limitations allowed for it, I would take at least one cruise on every SINGLE cruise line out there! And then I'd write a book about my experiences...and make a million bucks which would remove both the financial AND the time limitations so I could keep on cruising as often as I wished. :D I think it would be an interesting read!

Nancy,

It will indeed be interesting to see what the cruise lines do in 2010. At this point no one knows because no one can predict what the economy will be like. If it continues on the path it is now and people refrain from traveling you will see the same kinds of discounts and incentives we are seeing now. If bookings improve these elements will surely not be as prevalent.

Lee,

IMO Crystal's as you wish all inclusive OBCs are strictly due to the economy. I don't think keeping up with Seabourn or Regent had anything to do with it. Each line made a choice on how it was going to deal with low bookings. This is what Crystal chose. Regent is giving free shore excursions. Silversea is also giving huge OBC plus 50%off plus free airfare. Seabourn is discounting by up to 65%. And because of these incentives they are booking cabins. I predict for all these lines the minute the economy improves we'll be back to paying what we used to although it may come in intervals and not all at once.

Crystal has discounted the majority of their 2009 European cruises/15th Anniversary promo. Of course, the British Isles cruise I will be on isn't part of the promo, supply and demand. Additionally, Crystal has promotional pricing in 2010 on all their European cruises. So with the large shipboard credits and lower pricing, this is Crystal's strategy. Henry, you are spot on...it all boils down to our current economic situation and all of the luxury lines have devised promos that they feel work best for each respective line.

Happy sails, Nancy

And in keeping with what each of these lines do best rather than just copying each other like the airlines do by just exclusively lowering price or cuting out services, they each are offerering unique promotions and hopefully all are maintaining their standards.

Keith

And in keeping with what each of these lines do best rather than just copying each other like the airlines do by just exclusively lowering price or cuting out services, they each are offerering unique promotions and hopefully all are maintaining their standards.

And that's what's most important to ME! Circling back to the original topic...:D...all of my research tells me that what the mass-market cruise lines are doing is dropping their standards. That's why, in the current climate, I just don't see that it's at all possible right now to be able, no matter how hard you try, to luxe up a mass-market cruise. Too many cut-backs reducing the overall experience. I can only PRAY that the luxury lines (Crystal in particular, since that's who I'm cruising next) will continue their strategy of not lowering standards!

Leeanne, at least I didn't bash you on that thread LOL !!!

No, Darcie, you didn't! :D:D:D And I forgive those who did. Message boards bring out some interesting behavior, that's for sure! They are an extremely interesting sociological phenomenon.

I can attest to the fact that 90% of Crystal vs. Regent threads ARE NOT deleted by CC... Not even CLOSE... Come on TC....

Host Dan

Okay Host Dan -- you're right. It just seems that they are deleted more than others. Maybe -- just maybe you'll agree that Regent vs. Crystal has a bit more dissention than Regent and other luxury lines:confused:

Okay Host Dan -- you're right. It just seems that they are deleted more than others. Maybe -- just maybe you'll agree that Regent vs. Crystal has a bit more dissention than Regent and other luxury lines:confused:

It's all in how the questions are asked and answered. Because the wording on the question results in how the answer is. And instead of answering the question objectivel some like to put down and sometimes slam the other cruise line and then what happens next. Yes, the start of a war.

You see in many ways I like to say that Children never grow up. We all have that child inside of us.

But this happens all the time. If someone asks compare Celebrity to Princess which is better, it never works. Undoubtedly, before too long some put down the other line.

How about Lexus vs. BMW. Which is better?

It never works for two reasons.

Some try to compare the two and have never sailed on one of them.

And, if one person likes one better, the answers are not objective because the bias sets in.

I give people a very simple apporach and by the way I used it when I decided once whether to try Seabourn or Silversea.

- Read through the brochure of each cruise line, realizing that a brochurs is a marketing tool but does say a lot about how the cruise line promotes itself.

- Go to the respective web sites for the cruise lines. Again, provides a lot of good facts, even with a marketing spin.

- Read the details about each cruise line.

- Pick up a book which is updated yearly called Complete Guide to Cruising published by Berlitz and weritten by Douglas Ward. It provides a lot of good information not only on each cruise line but specific to the ship.

- Read the cruise ciritic boards on each cruise lines you are considering. Use what I call the 80/20 or 90/10 rule. Basically if 80% or 90% of the people agree on an item than accept that as fact until you experience it yourself.

- If you can find someone who likes both lines and maybe ask for a comparison from them.

And for us that worked extremely well.

But I always keep in mind that in the end only one persons opinion is important and that is mine.

So, I try to read as much as I can to get the facts not the opinion so I can make my own decision.

And, for me it has worked each time. But, I've learned that it is not worth asking others to compare x vs y line. On our first Seabourn cruise I asked five or six people to tell me about Regent. If I wrote down the answers and published them here you would think I was writing about three or four different cruise lines.

I also use a similar process when selecting a hotel.

But, as someone who answers the questions you will never see me put down those who like another cruise line or I don't put down the other cruise line. Why? In terms of the latter, they are all good and the differences that they have work very well for the person.

Now, when someone asks me a question that is more factual based that is easier to answer? For example, does the cruise ship have a fitness center. What types of machines does it offer? How larger or small is it?

etc., etc., etc.,

Bottom line, I have rarely seen any question of this vs. this that ended without emotion. Here are some of the good ones.

Should you carry your passport with you when you go ashore?

Should you book the ships tour or do a private tour?

How much should you tip the tour guide person for your private tour?

Which cruise line is better for my three children?

Which cruise line is the best. (I love the old best question)?

Which is better Seabourn or Silversea?

Which is better RCI or Carnival?

Which is the best cruise line (Another favorite the best)?

Is it OK if I wear a light suit on formal night?

I can keep going. You get the point. You will solicit not only answers but after a while the folks forget who asked the original question and they start going at one another.

Oh, one other thing. Peoples experiences can differ from one cruise to the other on the same cruise line. So, sometimes remember that. I have found that all cruises are not created equally. Same goes for dining out in restaurant and many other things. Even shopping at a particular store.

Keith

I'm glad you mentioned the Berlitz Complete Guide to Cruising by Douglas Ward. I read it cover-to-cover for two years; now I just read all the reviews of the new ships and the ships I'm considering cruising on every year. It gives a lot of specific information. I take the ratings with a grain of salt because the issues the author cares about most--food--matter less to me than others--entertainment, but all major aspects are rated separately. I have no doubt from reading those reviews (and these boards) that there is a real difference between the luxury lines (Crystal, Regent, Seaborn, Seadream, and Silversea) and the other lines and my own experience on Crystal confirms that there is a sometimes indescribable something that sets them apart from the other lines. But I agree the best way to compare the lines is to get information about specifics and to decide for yourself what you want most.

I like to have a balcony and good entertainment and set dining times; ergo, Crystal meets my needs. If you want a personallized, near-yacht experience, Sea Dream makes sense. My travel agent recommended SilverSea and she's been right before so I'm going to try that line (now that they have a larger ship). Everyone has different tastes and priorities so comparisons work best if you are comparing specific aspects of a cruise.

flag fan. I'm glad that you get the book as well.

I've been getting it for many years now. I'll get it every two years or so.

I just look at it as a great reference book.

I too don't put a lot of stock in all of the ratings.

I just like it because I think his verbage is good and it provides a nice couple page summary on each ship.

The irony is I first picked it up when we booked our second family cruise. We were at a TA's office (who we only used that one time). She's pushing us on a particular cruise line. She's calling them to check on cabins. She was having a hard time finding one. I skimmed through it and found another cruise line with high marks. We weren't talking luxury back then. I asked her about it. She hesitated but I truly believe it's because the agency did a lot of business with the one she was pushing me towards. I went with the one that the book recommended and the book was right.

Anyway, to me it's a great reference book.

And I can read it with each ship standing on its very own and then I can make the comparisons. No emotion or drama to deal with either.

And I agree there are differences between the lines. I guess what I try to do is not put down any of them because for each difference there are some who like it and others who don't but enough that likes it that it must be good for them. No question there are similarities between say Seabourn 200 passenger ships and Crytal's medium size ships in terms of the luxury experience but there are quite a few differences as well. One is not any better than the other except in the eyes of each passenger who knows what they prefer the most. As I always say the two lines each use the size of their respective ships to promote and accent their strengths. For some like my wife and me we like both ships and line even though the experience is different. We like that. But we know some who could not sail on Seabourn and we know some who could not sail on Crystal. It's all about personal preference.

No different than any of the other decisions we make.

Take two Academy Award Winning Movies. Some like one, some like both. If I don't like one or both I don't put them down. Obviously others saw a lot in one or both of them.

Keith

Keith

Maybe -- just maybe you'll agree that Regent vs. Crystal has a bit more dissention than Regent and other luxury lines:confused:

I disagree. I've been on this board for many years (longer than my profile shows - I lost my first user name in 2004 when they switched servers or some such thing). In all these years, I've seen my share of poofed posts and threads...and, as Keith so ably points out, it's all in how a question is asked...and in how the answers are given. There are ways to provide valid, valuable information that don't include value judgments that raise hackles, but some people just don't seem capable of doing this! It doesn't happen any more often in Crystal vs. Regent than it does in any other line vs. line - and that includes the other luxury lines. Each line has its rabid fans. :p

But I will acknowledge that there is a specific factor in the Crystal vs. Regent threads that seem to torpedo them often. I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I suspect it got lost in my very lengthy post, so I'll mention it again.

First, let me remind that I haven't yet been on a Crystal cruise - I'm solely talking about what I see in the threads. The thing is, it appears that these two cruise lines are VERY close in many ways...closer than the other luxury lines: larger ships, similar amenities, itineraries, qualities of service, etc. Sure there are some minor differences and some of this is subjective, but I'm just talking checklist items. The KEY differences, that I have seen send those threads into the toilet more than anything else, are the chit-signing/fixed-dining thing. Those two characteristics of Crystal cruises appear to be oddly polarizing. Some Regent loyalists consider those to be something they would just never tolerate on a cruise.

And that's fine! They are definitely different. And if I had my druthers, they wouldn't exist on Crystal either. But there are apparently enough cruisers that either consider them a non-issue, or actually prefer them, to keep Crystal in business.

What I have seen send these threads into the toilet almost invariably are the posters who make statements like this:

"I would NEVER consider going on a cruise that FORCES me to eat dinner with strangers that they pick!"

"I hate signing chits, it's just so intrusive, and makes you feel like a cash cow instead of a guest."

"Can you imagine being TOLD when you have to eat, and with whom, and at what table you must sit night after night? Discriminating passengers just don't put up with this!"

These are extreme examples...and I'm not quoting anyone in particular. I'm just pointing out that I have seen these types of statements many many times. And I just don't think the people who say them think about how it makes the people who cruise Crystal feel! It comes across as saying that Crystal passengers are somehow...defective! As if they are willing to accept something that is just appalling - that no polite, refined, discriminating cruiser would accept.

Those are the comments that end up in post wars and deleted threads. And it's just so unnecessary! This information can be imparted in ways that DON'T make others feel put-down. Examples:

"Regent ships have open seat dining. Crystal ships have fixed-seat dining. I personally prefer to have open seating."

"Regent is all-inclusive, so you don't ever have to sign for anything. Crystal is mostly-inclusive - you only have to sign for alcoholic beverages. I personally prefer all-inclusive."

See the diff?

Please know that I am by no means blaming all the Crystal-vs-Regent post wars on Regent cruisers. I have seen some snipey, rather insulting posts from Crystal cruisers as well, and not always in defense of Crystal. But I am not making up these observations. And it should be noted that the majority of these observations have been made while I was what you might call a Regent loyalist. I haven't even cruised Crystal yet - and I personally prefer open seating and all-inclusive! This is just a trend in those threads that I've noticed for years...and I may have even been guilty of not carefully wording my own preferences in the past myself .

One thing I have learned since deciding to try Crystal is that the chit-signing/fixed-dining thing is really not such a deal breaker as I thought. Even though it's not my personal preference, some do actually prefer it - and I get it. Some people dislike the all-alcohol-inclusion cruises because they prefer to choose their own wines with dinner, and are not satisfied with the few free-pour options Regent offers. I've experienced that myself, and ended up buying bottles from their list, and guess what? I had to sign a chit! ;) And it wasn't that big a deal. Also, remember that it's ONLY for alcohol - it's not like they hit you up for $5 for bottles of water. Some prefer the fixed-dining thing...I can't actually come up with a reason why (lol) but I have read that some do. And in any case, I at least understand it, because I realize that in order to NOT have it, they would have to have larger restaurants that could accommodate their entire passenger load in one sitting. So I'll deal with it, recognizing that it means that the public areas on the ship are probably more generous because of it.

Anyway, the last thing I want to do is turn this thread into a Crystal vs Regent discussion...and I don't think that's what this is. It's more of a why-are-Crystal-vs-Regent-threads-so-contentious discussion! :D

I will attempt to make this my last post on this thread. There is a reason that posts on Regent boards get contentious when Crystal's name is mentioned. To repeat an earlier comment I made, this does not happen when there are discussions about Silversea or Seabourn.

IF people could stick to the facts and/or personal opinions in terms of the differences of the cruise lines, these problems would not occur. It is difficult to argue with someone's opinion. You may have a different opinion, but you own that opinion. Some people think I am being negative when I mention the fact that the standard cabins are smaller than Regent or that I prefer open seating. To me, this is just stating my preference. I have also tried:

Crystal: set seatings in main restaurant/open seating in speciality restaurants

Regent: open seating -- all dining venues

Crystal: Extremely good entertainment in the evening.

Regent: Mediocre to good entertainment.

Food: Subjective

etc. etc. etc. Either way, it ends up in a disagreement. Writing the exact same type of comparison about the other luxury lines -- again, no problem.

To those who think I am saying negative things about their favorite cruise line, I challenge them to find anything truly negative that I have said about any cruise line EXCEPT Regent.

That is all I have to say except that I have been "spoken to" rudely on the Regent board by people who are Crystal regulars. A couple of times I have responded in kind (and am always unhappy that I stooped to that level)

TC - you seem to be under the mistaken impression that I was talking about you in my examples. I wasn't referring to anyone in particular, just to trends that I've seen.

But I certainly do agree that just sticking to the facts can go a long way towards keeping those threads from being contentious! :)

I will attempt to make this my last post on this thread. There is a reason that posts on Regent boards get contentious when Crystal's name is mentioned. To repeat an earlier comment I made, this does not happen when there are discussions about Silversea or Seabourn.

IF people could stick to the facts and/or personal opinions in terms of the differences of the cruise lines, these problems would not occur. It is difficult to argue with someone's opinion. You may have a different opinion, but you own that opinion. Some people think I am being negative when I mention the fact that the standard cabins are smaller than Regent or that I prefer open seating. To me, this is just stating my preference. I have also tried:

Crystal: set seatings in main restaurant/open seating in speciality restaurants

Regent: open seating -- all dining venues

Crystal: Extremely good entertainment in the evening.

Regent: Mediocre to good entertainment.

Food: Subjective

etc. etc. etc. Either way, it ends up in a disagreement. Writing the exact same type of comparison about the other luxury lines -- again, no problem.

To those who think I am saying negative things about their favorite cruise line, I challenge them to find anything truly negative that I have said about any cruise line EXCEPT Regent.

That is all I have to say except that I have been "spoken to" rudely on the Regent board by people who are Crystal regulars. A couple of times I have responded in kind (and am always unhappy that I stooped to that level)

Of course it's contentious.

Because in the end there is some fact but mostly opinon.

I have rarely seen a post where someone says compare Seabourn vs. Silversea or whatever where some of the posters start saying I like this line but not that line. I like this not that. And so forth. I have not seen one where people say. Well the size of the seabourn ship is y and the size of silversea is x. And there are 100 crew on seabourn and 150 on silversea. And there are three entertainers on Seabourn and five on Silversea (by the way I'm making up numbers). All of a sudden they are going beyond that and giving all types of opinions.

And by the way take 10 people who like Regent and ask them to list their number one reason and you will get several answers. Ask if they like the wine. Some say yes and some say no I pay for a better wine. Oh and ask what you don't like and you'll get different answers.

We are all individuals. We see things through our own eyes.

And I also will say again that most questions start this vs. that. That's already the wrong question.

And most answers from several say the examples mentioned earlier. I would never sit in open seating. I want my own waiter. Or I would never sit in fixed seating. How crude.

I may have mentioned this earlier but when I sail Seabourn I have asked many if they have sailed Silversea. I find may who did. The answers I get range from I love it to I hate it. Crew wonderful. Crew snobby. You would think people sailed on two different cruise lines.

Anyway, I don't think this part of the thread has run its course.

When people ask to compare the cruise lines I try now to give them the feedback I gave earlier. Go to the internet, go to the brochures, go to my favorite cruise book, read about each line, read what people say on cruise critic and then make a decision.

Go to any board. Ask this vs. that and before the day is over you will get the most conflicting opinions that give you no good answer.

Oh try just asking do I need a Yellow Fever Vaccination and see the answers. Well no. Well no but if you go to China they might not let you in. And so forth.

Oh here's a great one. How much do I tip the driver in Europe? Wow, get ready. I can hear it now. 100 answers. All different. And each person thinks they are right. And they are the way they see it from their own perspectives.

Keith

I

Last post I promise. :D

I looked at the Seabourn board. There are only a few posts that from the past year or so that asked for comparisons but here is one example.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=759638&highlight=silversea

See how it starts. Seabourn vs. Regent.

See what is said. A whole bunch of stuff that in the end didn't answer the question.

See if there are conclusions. None.

In fact it ends with comments about the bedroom.

There are others asking for comparisons between Seabourn vs. Regent or Silversea or Oceania, etc. I can go to other boards.

No, it's not about Crystal compared to Regent.

It happens almost every time.

Keith

There will never be a satisfactory conclusion because as long as there are more than one human being cruising you will have more than one opinion. I don't mind comparisons, however they tend to become so repetitious it gets boring. There are only so many things one can compare.....set dining vs. open dining, cabin size, entertainment quality, food quality, all inclusive vs not, service. After that, let's face it, we're picking nits. I think that people who sail one line exclusively tend to view those ships as a second home and when their home gets criticized they become defensive, therefore the strong language. When we stick to facts in the comparisons they might be helpful. When we don't they become a waste of energy.

I found this thread interesting because after trying four of the luxury lines - Crystal, Regent, Silver Seas, and Seabourn- I'll be trying Oceania later on this year. I think what is helpful in choosing a line is deciding what is important to you. I rate food, service, and lectures during the day as most important to me. Food is subjective between various people, but if you've had thousands of restaurant meals as I have had, food comparisons are no longer selective. My best food experiences have been on Seabourn and Crystal. My meal at the Tastings for 2 on Seabourn compared favorably to the top restaurants in San Francisco and New York. Similarly, I can compare such things as room service and waiter service between the various lines and again Seabourn and Crystal win. For lectures, Crystal and Regent win. I was extremely bored on Seabourn during the day. I'm looking forward to trying Seabourn Odyssey to see if there are more activities. If the size of the standard room was important to me, then Regent would win. I think opinions from people who have been on two or more lines being compared is important and useful information for people considering a line. In the end, they are all different and you have to decide what is most important to you.

Archived