Our next cruise???

lel5344

Looking for recommendations - here are some of our criteria.

We'd like a cruise that's fairly ship intensive: 3 or 4 ports in a 7 day cruise, 5 or 6 ports in a 10 day cruise. Destinations not critical - we'll go anywhere (although we just came off the Canada-New England cruise on the Norwegian Crown). Likely time to cruise will be next fall.

We love NCL's free-style cruising (for varied meal times and different restaurants), but we also have no objection to getting dressed up for more formal nights. Generally, we avoid buffets, except for coffe and an occasional afternoon snack.

We don't like glitzy ships (for example, we loved Norwegian Crown).

We don't need high-level activity aboard ship (rock climbing, ice skating not necessary), but a fitness center (with treadmills and stationary bikes) is a must.

Balcony or verandah desired if it's a warm weather cruise. And a respectable cabin size (160 square feet or more).

We don't care where we cruise from - we live in Chicago, so we can get anywhere quite easily.

We would prefer a cruise that caters to a more mature group (I'm 60 and my wife is 53), with a limited number of children. We're not anti-kids, but they can be quite a distraction when serenity is the principal reason for cruising.

Ship size - moderate and up (I'd say 750-2000 passengers).

Price - maybe a range that includes NCL, Princess, RCCL, Celebrity, Holland-America.

We've done 5 cruises - 1 on Carnival when our kids came along and 4 on NCL (Sea, Sun, Sky and Crown).

If you have any suggestions or questions, you can post here or e-mail me at lel5344@ameritech.net

Thanks for your help.

That's a great idea...we know from experience. We did it 2 years ago: Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan and Belize. We love Roatan and will go back - but probably not for another couple of years. Your idea is much appreciated!

Why don't you check out Holland America. Try the "S" or "R" class ships, not the newer Vista class ships which are larger and glitzer. I seems to me that the traditional HAL product is just what you are looking for. We have taken ten HAL cruises and have enjoyed every one of them. With the exception of freestyle dining, HAL seems to have everything else you want. HAL's dining room is traditional, very elegant, very nice.

The cabins are larger than average. The ship decor is elegant, not glitzy. The ships are of moderate size with about 1200 passengers. The atmosphere is relaxed. Generally there is a more mature crowd, however the longer the cruise, the more mature the crowd on any line. There are few children, although we did bring our grandson along once and he enjoyed himself.

I think you will enjoy HAL. We certainly do.

Linda :)

Archived