computers for schoolwork on the Dawn

NorgeCruisin

Does anyone know if the computers on the Dawn (Internet Cafe) can be used strickly for word processing & printing out schoolwork? My 11 yr old son prefers to do all his schoolwork on the computer.

If so, do you know how much the cost is???

Thanks!

Sorry I don't know if the computers are "good" for word processing. I am pretty sure they have some sort of program on them for that, but it may require some assistance or hacking : ) I do know that it costs .50 a page to use the printers, so that can get a bit pricey if your son has a lot that needs to be printed. Here is a link to the internet cafe where maybe you can find some more info. http://www.ncl.com/more/internet_cafe.htm

First, speak to the internet manager. If it is Sandor (pronounce it "Shandor," he's Hungarian), you are likely in luck. Even if it isn't, tell the mgr what your needs are.

I seem to recall that Word was installed on at least one of the workstations, but the cruise at the end of August now seems so long ago that I can't really remember. Even if it isn't, the Internet manager can probably set it up for your son to use at a given time. The ship's laptops (up in the Owners Suites and Garden Villas) run windows XP and so has Microsoft Office for its applications.

Another solution is this: the Dawn has a wireless network set up throughout the ship. Many people bring their laptops. Those laptops can also be connected directly into the ship's network. Obviously, the Internet Cafe mgr has a laptop too.

So here's what I suggest if the desktops don't have Word on them: 1) bring your own if you have one and just pay to have the work printed out. 2) See if you can arrange to borrow someone's laptop and do the same. 3) Ask if there is a ship's computer that you can borrow to help your son get his homework done. 4) see if you can get the homework in advance and have him do it before he leaves.

Hope it all works out.

Archived