Tell me I'm going to be happy with a balcony

NoleWoman

I recently switched from an OV cabin on the main deck on the Conquest to a balcony on the Verandah deck. I had originally wanted to switch to an OV room on the spa deck, but the night I decided to do it, Carnival's system must have been screwy because they said they had none available. So after discussing it w/DH, he thought a balcony would be nice so if the kids are asleep we can be out there talking. Finally called back to change to a balcony, and for the heck of it asked about the 6E's and they said "oh we have some available!" Well by then we'd already decided on the balcony, and since I yelled at DH that he never has an opinion and he finally gave me one, I felt like I should go with it!

Well of course I'm second guessing myself now, and every time I read another post from someone saying how much they LOVED the 6E's, I'm thinking I should switch. Also, reading how the 6E's are going to be changing to balconies, I keep thinking I should switch just b/c the next time I cruise they won't be around!

So can you guys just tell me how much I'm going to love the balcony so I quit obsessing about this and second guessing my decision?? Thanks LOL.

I recently switched from an OV cabin on the main deck on the Conquest to a balcony on the Verandah deck. I had originally wanted to switch to an OV room on the spa deck, but the night I decided to do it, Carnival's system must have been screwy because they said they had none available. So after discussing it w/DH, he thought a balcony would be nice so if the kids are asleep we can be out there talking. Finally called back to change to a balcony, and for the heck of it asked about the 6E's and they said "oh we have some available!" Well by then we'd already decided on the balcony, and since I yelled at DH that he never has an opinion and he finally gave me one, I felt like I should go with it!

Well of course I'm second guessing myself now, and every time I read another post from someone saying how much they LOVED the 6E's, I'm thinking I should switch. Also, reading how the 6E's are going to be changing to balconies, I keep thinking I should switch just b/c the next time I cruise they won't be around!

So can you guys just tell me how much I'm going to love the balcony so I quit obsessing about this and second guessing my decision?? Thanks LOL.

You will love it and within minutes of being in your cabin you'll become a 'balcony snob'... like the rest of us...

If you feel so inclined you might want to read my review from my last sailing on the Conquest. I spent many late evenings on the balcony and loved it...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=33218

The best O/V room can't compare to the the worst balcony room. Unfortunately you might have to tell DH he was right... while sitting out there together after the kids have gone to bed. :p

Yes, with kids I would choose the balcony. You and dh can have some private time alone at night. Also, your dh will probably enjoy sitting on the balcony while you dress for dinner. I think you made the right decision and you should stick with it. :)

Hi,

You and your DH will hate it so much. You will hate sitting on the balcony in the morning and sipping your coffee. You will hate the sound of the ship cutting its path through the ocean. You will hate the warmth of the early morning sun on your skin. Do you now understand me?? Good!

Now that you understand me, you are to tell me the name of the ship and the date you are cruising! I will then book the OV cabin you wanted. I will be gracious enough to let you have MY OV and sacrifice myself with your balcony! It is a tough choice for me, but I am willing to do it for you!

Now, just tell me where you are travelling from. You book 1st class seats and I will book economy. Then we will switch because you will also hate 1st class. What a guy I am! So willing to sacrifice for you!

Are you kidding?? There is nothing like having the balcony. I loved our balcony we had on our Suite on the Spirit! You will never be satisfied with anything else!

Enjoy! (but if you really want to give it up, please let me have first dibs!!)

Lee:D

It will be great you'll love it. Also as some of the others said once you had a balcony it's hard to book anything else.

Had balcony cabins all but first cruise.

I've got a cruise to Europe booked for next year 2009 and did not book balcony, but hoping for a up grade before next year rolls around. But then I figured I could give up the balcony this once for Europe and the cost difference will help pay for the tours.

Marcy

I have cruised 5 times, all with a balcony, and I will never cruise any other way! It is basically a 2nd room for your cabin! It is SO nice to sit out on that balcony, with a drink, or coffee, breakfast, etc. and watch the waves. I take my ipod with me and it is so nice to just sit there and watch the waves and listen to my music! Also, if you tend to get a little seasick, you can go outside and look at the horizon and it really does help! Just be warned that you may well become a "balcony snob" after your cruise!:D ;)

I can see it being a very nice thing if you sit out there with kids in bed at night as long as you don't opt for the late night babysitting at Camp Carnival. If you're doing late night babysitting, then save the money for shore excursions. I talked my in-laws into a balcony once, and they said never again. It was a total waste of money to them. Go with your gut.

As for the whole balcony snob thing, "It ain't necessarily so". We've done every category from inside to OS with balcony that had a hot tub. We've come full circle to the insides. Unless it's a fabulous balcony, (extra large with loungers and some private area at least) it's not worth the extra money to us. We don't use those little balconies much. The seating is uncomfortable, and they aren't private. We didn't like the cig smoke from other balconies coming in (Mariner) either. Never had that problem with an aft balcony though. Guess we're Ultra Balcony Snobs. We want all or nothing!:p

Guess we're Ultra Balcony Snobs.

LOL....that is too funny:D

We are booked on the Conquest May 18th, our first cruise. I bought this trip for my wife who is currently deployed in Afghanistan. 12 more days until she returns! Anyway, I set us up with a balcony as well. I hope it was money well spent. Got to be honest, I just want to get up in my birthday suite and have a cup of coffee while the sun comes up. There I said it, it had to be said.

Actually my father cruises a lot and has video of all the rooms available on the Conquest. Our decision was easy...balcony or nothing. Now I have this opinion JUST for the Conquest. We live in San Antonio and that is the only ship that departs Galveston that offers balconies when we have the time to take a cruise.

Great thread, I was going to ask the same things.

We will have our first balcony in Nov, on the Conquest. I absolutely can't wait. I love to spend alot of time out on deck, I enjoy the ocean, sky, sunrise, sunsets.... I think having our own balcony will be wonderful. I want to sleep with the cabin door open, I want to wake up and sit on the balcony while hubby sleeps. I'm guessing I will still have to check out the views from the upper deck though, but won't have to spend so much time out there this time. I will enjoy our balcony immensey. I hope we don't smell alot of cigarette smoke from neighbors. I can hardly wait to see which balcony will be ours for the week (ours is to be announced, as we picked the cheapest- guarantee). It's hard waiting..... it will be hard to go back to an inside cabin, but maybe not if it's that or stay home- LOL

We love a balcony cabin, it makes the cruise for us. We have had OV on Fantasy class ship, and it was fine, but not the same for us at all. If I couldn't get a balcony cabin on a particular cruise, I would look at a different sailing where I could get one. More money, yes. I do try to book well ahead of time and take advantage of special pricings or upgrades. Nothing like room service bringing me that first cup of coffee in the morning and enjoying it on the balcony. And, there are no chair hogs on balconies, either:D

I am having my first balcony in June and this thread has me so excited too! I really don't regret not having a balcony on my TA and Baltic cruises though. It was always so cold and windy I could hardly stay out on deck much anyway so a balcony would have been wasted.

We cruised Ecstasy in '07 and had an OV room. When we arrived, we found out we had been upgraded to a balcony suite, cat 11. It was my friends first cruise (my 4th), but first time for a balcony. We were ecstatic. It was one with an obstructed view, but still wonderful. This time around, we booked early and requested a specific balcony to make sure we didn't get one with obstructed view. We plan to spend a lot of time out there this time! You will love it! Enjoy!:D

We stayed in our first balcony on the Triumph last Sept. All other cruises were OV. I must say for us, it was worth the money having a balcony. DH loved sitting on the balcony as I would get ready for dinner. It was nice knowing he was just a few steps away instead of several decks up to sit outside. We had breakfast every morning on our balcony, watched the sunrise as we pulled into ports & would have drinks at night. The alone time for you & DH on the balcony while the kiddies are asleep will be special.

DH loved it so much saying it would be hard to book another OV cabin & I would have to agree. This is our personal opinion.

As for the whole balcony snob thing, "It ain't necessarily so".

You are right, of course! I am the kind of person that spends quite a bit of time in my cabin, so the extra space of a balcony is very important to me. However, if you only need a cabin to sleep and shower in, because the rest of the time you will be out and about the ship, then a balcony might just be a waste of money. I think I personally would go nuts with an inside room. I need to be able to see outside!:D

Archived