Tell me I'm going to be happy with a balcony

NoleWoman

There is no comparison. I would never take an oceanview again over a balcony. We did oceanview once. All the rest have been balconies, 1 suite and 1 jr suite (Category 11). I LOVED the Jr Suite. Just came back from a Category 11 on Freedom. It was Great! Suitcases were the fastest getting to our room ever. Nice sitting in VIP Lounge. You can get spoiled that way. I love the balcony. Just getting ready to book our next Feb cruise. We loved the Freedom so much, we are going back again. Can hardly wait. Sitting on the balcony is so peaceful. Nothing like it. You won't regret it. You will love it. Have a Great time.

No, I would recommend that people save their money,and take 2 cruises with the money they save from getting an inside cabin.The view is still the same from up on deck as it is on a cabin Balcony.

Since this is my first cruise I wouldn't do an inside cabin... I'd rather have an OV and find out I don't need it than have an inside and find out I do! So then comparing cost between a regular OV vs. 6E vs. Balcony, the difference between the OV and 6E is about $400, and then another $200 to go to a balcony. Not enough to pay for a second cruise for a family of 4.

Also, even if we find out we just LOVE cruising, we're limited as to how much we go... kids in school limits us to July and August vacations, plus my parents live in Hawaii so we try to get out there every other year, and inlaws live 1200 miles away so we usually go there every year. AND DH and I do at least one quick trip away just the two of us. Doesn't leave a lot of time for other trips, we do have to work at some point too! So the extra we spend on the balcony isn't going to decide whether/when we take another cruise.

My main issue is which room we'd like more... an OV on the spa deck with floor to ceiling windows, one level down from Camp Carnival and 2 levels above Lido, or a balcony by the forward elevators on the Verandah deck, one level below Lido (but it's a room with another cabin above so no deck chair scraping overhead). I just keep having this feeling that being on the spa deck would be nicer as far as location, so I guess I was looking for people to tell me that having a balcony trumps being close to the spa and camp carnival. It isn't a money concern, it's a location concern.

Thanks for all the responses!!

Ooulio - I am thinking of booking a Cat 11 on Freedom. What are the extra perks you get (if any) and what is the VIP Lounge you mention - is it on the ship or at the port?

Any comments you have would help.

DaveOKC

My main issue is which room we'd like more... an OV on the spa deck with floor to ceiling windows, one level down from Camp Carnival and 2 levels above Lido, or a balcony by the forward elevators on the Verandah deck, one level below Lido (but it's a room with another cabin above so no deck chair scraping overhead). I just keep having this feeling that being on the spa deck would be nicer as far as location, so I guess I was looking for people to tell me that having a balcony trumps being close to the spa and camp carnival. It isn't a money concern, it's a location concern.

Just based on our own personal experiences and preferences, we would choose the balcony. It's great for coffee/cigar/cigarette in the morning and whatever your choice after dark ;) . The rest of the day, we are always out of the cabin having fun!

The balcony is a personal choice that we have never regretted. It's a place DH can have a glass of wine while I finish dressing and even sneak a cigar as long as he stays out there until I can't smell it on him. I have insomnia so I sit out there wrapped up at night with my book light and read. You can't beat it.

Linda

Since this is my first cruise I wouldn't do an inside cabin... I'd rather have an OV and find out I don't need it than have an inside and find out I do! So then comparing cost between a regular OV vs. 6E vs. Balcony, the difference between the OV and 6E is about $400, and then another $200 to go to a balcony. Not enough to pay for a second cruise for a family of 4.

Also, even if we find out we just LOVE cruising, we're limited as to how much we go... kids in school limits us to July and August vacations, plus my parents live in Hawaii so we try to get out there every other year, and inlaws live 1200 miles away so we usually go there every year. AND DH and I do at least one quick trip away just the two of us. Doesn't leave a lot of time for other trips, we do have to work at some point too! So the extra we spend on the balcony isn't going to decide whether/when we take another cruise.

Thanks for all the responses!!

I haven't had a balcony yet, but I absolutely loved the spa deck, no endless hallways to deal with. It just felt nice up there, nice and quiet, it felt private because of so few staterooms on that deck. You will be near the largest bank of elevators, so getting where you need to go is a snap.

This location was so convenient to the elevators, that I made sure that my next room on the legend was close to a set of elevators that could get me places easily, our friends had a room on the empress deck, and it was one long hallway to deal with, no quick runs to the room.

MAC

hullo all, was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or experience with booking a bal gtd.....

Am debating whether or not to take a september sailing to the western carib on the Legend, but the only bal showing avail right now are the gtd. What are the chances that I'll get stuck with the cra**iest room/bal avail? :confused: Would you book it??

Thanks for your input,

When we first got on the ship I was so excited to get to the balcony and then I realized that they were smaller than what I expected and I was a little bit disappointed BUT I have to say the balcony did it for me. Talk about peaceful. There is nothing like it, in my opinion. We smoked cigarettes, drank coke, liquor, wine, and coffee and ordered room service and ate on the balcony almost every day that we were there.

One of my most memorable moments on the balcony was right before we were pulling out of Jamaica they ha

d a band with about 17 young kids and they were really good. People were throwing them money, dollar bills and change. And the kids loved it. My first dollar ended up in the water but I threw another one that made it and then some change. That was awesome.

Then the bird ended up in my bathroom right as I was getting in the shower it flew out of one of the spaces in the bathroom, like where you keep the toilet paper. It scared the hell out of me and my girlfriend got it out for me. I think it had a broken wing. So sad. We did keep our balcony door open every night that we were there with one of the chairs, no real need for a bungee cord, I guess. Nothing like listening to the ocean, nothing.

On the last night we went out and did our normal routine before going to bed and I cried. I mean, I felt like I was leaving family and friends. Our experience with a balcony was wonderful and our experience with the cruise (Conquest) was wonderful. We just got back yesterday and loved every minute of it.

Melody

IMHO, a balcony is not worth the extra money. I cruised wiith a balcony once and did not spend much time out there. However, I recognize that there are a lot of people who completely disagree with me. Different strokes for different folks.

Try it once and then you decide.

DON

We are balcony snobs...wouldn't cruise without one but every one has their opinions. Didn't think it would be that much of a difference until we had one. Many people say you don't spend a lot of time in your room so it doesn't make a difference. That typically is said by someone who has an inside room!

We would rather go every other year and have the room and balcony we want instead of having a cheaper room. We do spend time in our room and love it. Morning and night time is the best on your balcony as well as coming into port.

Since the balcony for the OP isn't going to cost any additional $ (I believe) you can't lose!

Melody:

That was just a wonderful post to this thread! :D

If everyone reading this does not want a balcony now, then they are not seeing the big picture.:confused:

I am so glad we booked a balcony this time. I never had a regret at all that we did this. You just made it so worth the money.

Darlene

Just got back from the Conquest yesterday. Booked an Inside guarantee last July. Didn't get cabin assignment until port and lo and behold we were on the upper deck, port side, BALCONY!

Now my original thought was the same as many...we don't spend much time in the cabin so why not the inside. Well that was true. We didn't spend much more time but it was great. You wanna smoke...step outside and enjoy. Inside is like going on a picnic and staying in the car. Partitions are very good but like others have said there can be some reflection on the tinted plexiglass between balconies. No biggee.

Cocktails, coffee...just wonderful out there...skip the room service "breakfast" it's lousy. Hit the dining room or the buffet and eat out by the pool.

Archived