Alaska - Seattle to Tracy Arm or HAL to Glacier Bay?

CrusinAgain

We are planning a cruise to Alaska next June and the one-ways due to air fare are out of our budget so it will have to be either the Star Princess out of Seattle who does Tracy Arm from 6 a.m. - 10 a.m. or Holland American's Westerdam who does Glacier Bay all day. I really like Princess but the Tracy Arm does not really show much and it is only part of a day so I would feel we really did not get to see the true Alaska.

Does everyone else feel Glacier Bay is a must? If so, I guess we will be trying HAL for the first time.

Glacier Bay is spectacular! IMHO, everyone should do Glacier Bay at least once. I've done Tracy Arm twice now, and while it's nice, both times the ship hasn't been able to get anywhere near the glaciers. On NCL we were offered an excursion to take us right up to the Sawyer Glaciers in Tracy Arm - that was spectacular. Had we not done it though, we never would have seen them.

Glacier Bay, by contrast, gets you & your ship up close & personal with the glaciers! We love Princess, but we also love HAL - you can't go wrong with the Westerdam.

We did the Princess sailing out of Seattle last Labor Day and we loved it. We had r/t air from S Fla to Seattle on Delta (first class) which was a gift from my inlaws. Had a balcony and was very lucky to be able to get pretty close to the glacier. We thought it was magnificent. We also liked staying in Seattle both pre and post cruise. Used Priceline to get great prices on the Westin downtown. We love Princess so it was a no brainer for us.

CruisenAgain - I tried my first HAL cruise in December and really liked it, much better then my past Princess cruises (and I am in my 30's). It seems that HAL's newer ships, they are targeting the same demographics as Princess. Though, overall - Alaska attracts older people.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend HAL to you. There are some things Princess does better and some things that HAL does better then Princess. They also have "As you wish dining" which is close to anytime dining.

I haven't been to glacier bay, but have sailed Tracy Arm twice and it was very pretty. Whether you get all the way up to see the glacier depends on the ice in the water and the captain.

Our first trip on Dawn Princess we got about 3/4 of the way up. Our last trip ( on Golden) our captain took us all the way in and it was spectacular however we followed Dawn Princess in and they did not go all the way up to the glacier.

So Tracy Arm can be a bit of a crap shoot if you are counting on making it all the way in. :)

As mentioned above, it all depends on the floating ice that day and the boldness of the captain to get in close. We were on the Ryndam and turned back about two miles from the Hubbard Glacier while the RCI ship and the Crystal ship sailed right by us a got very close. You never know what will happen. All the tidewater glaciers are spectacular in Alaska.

As for the ship, I'd prefer the Grand Class ships to Hollands Vista class ships. Princess also will upgrade you, if possible. Holland America upgrades are non-existent. Both have excellent crew memebers and the food is very comperable. Which ever way you go -- have a great cruise.

As for the ship, I'd prefer the Grand Class ships to Hollands Vista class ships. Princess also will upgrade you, if possible. Holland America upgrades are non-existent. Both have excellent crew memebers and the food is very comperable. Which ever way you go -- have a great cruise.

I actually received an upgrade on HAL. I loved my cabin.

When on RCCL - we were 8 miles from Hubbard. We could barely see it.

Interesting about the upgrade comment...I am Platinum on Princess and have never received more than a one or two category upgrade from them-a higher floor but never from say inside to outside or outside to balcony. Holland on the other hand I have received upgrades from inside to outside on two occassions!

But I love Princess and keep coming back-and I did a guarantee for my upcoming Alaska trip, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed but not expecting any more than what I paid for...that way I'm not disappointed...:)

Another vote for HAL and Glacier Bay. Spending the day at Glacier Bay, you will see 4 or 5 glaciers, and HAL usually gets close and stops at Pacific and Margarite Glaciers for almost an hour of viewing, with moderate to heavy calving.

Tracy Arm, if you can get in, you will only see the Twin Sawyer Glaciers. And as others have posted you may not get close if there is a lot of ice in the water. Tracy Arm is more scenic fjord traveling rather than actual glacier viewing (in my opinion). We did see the glaciers, but no calving.

CruisenAgain - I tried my first HAL cruise in December and really liked it, much better then my past Princess cruises (and I am in my 30's). It seems that HAL's newer ships, they are targeting the same demographics as Princess. Though, overall - Alaska attracts older people.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend HAL to you. There are some things Princess does better and some things that HAL does better then Princess. They also have "As you wish dining" which is close to anytime dining.

Coral, thank you, that itinerary is great on HAL from Seattle and thanks for giving me the heads up on the demographics and yes I can remember you writing a review now comparing Princess to HAL, but I think you did not go for the entertainment but the relaxation?

Alaska would be one to try HAL on since entertainment won't be that important with all the interesting ports and Glacier Bay lasting all day

Another vote for HAL and Glacier Bay. Spending the day at Glacier Bay, you will see 4 or 5 glaciers, and HAL usually gets close and stops at Pacific and Margarite Glaciers for almost an hour of viewing, with moderate to heavy calving.

Tracy Arm, if you can get in, you will only see the Twin Sawyer Glaciers. And as others have posted you may not get close if there is a lot of ice in the water. Tracy Arm is more scenic fjord traveling rather than actual glacier viewing (in my opinion). We did see the glaciers, but no calving.

Awwww.....thank you for explaining the difference. I thought that is what I saw in pictures that Tracy Arm is like a fjord and at the end would be a glacier which is nothing compared to when I saw Glacier Bay way back that my sister has never seen. Tracy Arm sounds pretty but Glacier Bay shows a part of Alaska that just seems Alaska.

We did the Princess sailing out of Seattle last Labor Day and we loved it. We had r/t air from S Fla to Seattle on Delta (first class) which was a gift from my inlaws. Had a balcony and was very lucky to be able to get pretty close to the glacier. We thought it was magnificent. We also liked staying in Seattle both pre and post cruise. Used Priceline to get great prices on the Westin downtown. We love Princess so it was a no brainer for us.

Well, we love Princess also, but the itinerary from Seattle is Tracy Arm and not Glacier Bay and there are no roundtrips from Vancouver so that would add to the airfare about $500 each so by taking the HAL ship from Seattle that does go to Glacier Bay we will only miss a small part of the North/South bound itineraries of viewing but we will still hit the same Alaskan ports except HAL goes to Sitka instead of Skagway which I have never seen Sitka before. We won't need a hotel as we are close enough to drive to Seattle for once.

I'd choose Glacier Bay without a doubt. Princess is our first choice of cruise line but itinerary is our first choice when booking a cruise.

(We chose HAL for the itinerary when we first cruised to Alaska just because of wanting to go to Glacier Bay, Sitka and Ketchikan and Princess had nothing to offer to these places.)

Coral, thank you, that itinerary is great on HAL from Seattle and thanks for giving me the heads up on the demographics and yes I can remember you writing a review now comparing Princess to HAL, but I think you did not go for the entertainment but the relaxation?

Alaska would be one to try HAL on since entertainment won't be that important with all the interesting ports and Glacier Bay lasting all day

My main reason for choosing HAL Oosterdam over the Dawn Princess in December was because I had friends sailing on the Oosterdam that I hadn't seen for awhile. The main purpose of the cruise was relaxation! I really needed the cruise and could have cared less about the ports.

What surprised me was I really enjoyed the entertainment. It literally was the best entertainment that I have encountered on a ship (the production shows were just ok) - we had an Elton John impersonator (Joel Mason) and Olympic Gymanst Lance Ringnald (sp?) who was also fantastic. Plus a great comedian and the 3 of them were fabulous together! I doubt I will ever encounter another trip on any line with such great entertainers. It was pure luck as I don't expect this again.

I really liked HAL's cabins (flat screen tv, dvd, tubs in everything from outside cabins and up) Plus lemonade, punch and fresh squeezed OJ in the buffet along with different stations (Asian, Italian). I am not a fan of Princess's buffets.

My next cruise will be on Princess. I have some credits that need to be used this year along with free air that I really couldn't get to work with HAL's fall foliage trips. After that - I will probably alternate between Princess and HAL. I don't like Princess's big ships and I love the size of HAL's vista class.

Enjoy your cruise!

Well, we love Princess also, but the itinerary from Seattle is Tracy Arm and not Glacier Bay and there are no roundtrips from Vancouver so that would add to the airfare about $500 each so by taking the HAL ship from Seattle that does go to Glacier Bay we will only miss a small part of the North/South bound itineraries of viewing but we will still hit the same Alaskan ports except HAL goes to Sitka instead of Skagway which I have never seen Sitka before. We won't need a hotel as we are close enough to drive to Seattle for once.

Princess does have round trips from Vancouver...the Tahitian, and she does Glacier Bay and heads all the way up to Kodiak....and Sitka and Valdez.

Princess does have round trips from Vancouver...the Tahitian, and she does Glacier Bay and heads all the way up to Kodiak....and Sitka and Valdez.

Yes and that is a 14 day trip and lots of money. There will be one from Seattle doing the same itinerary for 2009 as the Tahitian but again 14 days and too much money for us.

My main reason for choosing HAL Oosterdam over the Dawn Princess in December was because I had friends sailing on the Oosterdam that I hadn't seen for awhile. The main purpose of the cruise was relaxation! I really needed the cruise and could have cared less about the ports.

What surprised me was I really enjoyed the entertainment. It literally was the best entertainment that I have encountered on a ship (the production shows were just ok) - we had an Elton John impersonator (Joel Mason) and Olympic Gymanst Lance Ringnald (sp?) who was also fantastic. Plus a great comedian and the 3 of them were fabulous together! I doubt I will ever encounter another trip on any line with such great entertainers. It was pure luck as I don't expect this again.

I really liked HAL's cabins (flat screen tv, dvd, tubs in everything from outside cabins and up) Plus lemonade, punch and fresh squeezed OJ in the buffet along with different stations (Asian, Italian). I am not a fan of Princess's buffets.

My next cruise will be on Princess. I have some credits that need to be used this year along with free air that I really couldn't get to work with HAL's fall foliage trips. After that - I will probably alternate between Princess and HAL. I don't like Princess's big ships and I love the size of HAL's vista class.

Enjoy your cruise!

Well that sounds great as well as their beds. Trying to decide between an aft or port side for Alaska - have always wanted that aft but keep reading the ship stays in Glacier Bay with the view being on Port side for a long period .

We were on HAL to Glacier bay last August. There was not a cloud in the sky that day. See pictures below. I might help you make up your mind.

Beautiful pics and thank you. It sounds like we will be taking the Westerdam and trying HAL for the first time since Princess cannot accommodate us for the same price.

Thanks so much to everyone who responded.

We have been to Tracy Arms. Going to Glacier Bay this year. I am expecting Glacier Bay to be a lot better. Both will be on HAL. I would go for Glacier Bay.

Thank you for your comment. We have decided to try the Westerdam since it spends the whole day at Glacier Bay while Princess only goes to Tracy Arm for 4 early morning hours.

They both very beautiful and both also very different. What makes Tracy Arm really nice is the fjord part, not so much the glacier, vs Glacier bay is obviously about the glaciers (but doesn't have nice scenery close to the ship on both sides as you're sailing through). I remember seeing itineraries in the past that go to both - is that a possibility? If it were up to me that's what I'd probably choose!

Also, having done a RT seattle and one way, I would highly suggest a one way or RT vancouver. The inside passage part that you miss out on the seattle sailings is really nice too.

I'm planning my first Alaska cruise for Sept. 09 and I think I'll book the Westerdam. I like HAL mini suites, promenade deck and room service menus and the itinerary does sound fabulous! Grand Class and Vista Class ships are both wonderful to me.

Archived