Waterproof digital camera question

cruisnfool

After going through two so called waterproof cmaeras for underwater photos you will find out that nor camera is totally waterproof exept camera made for divers. Eventualy the seals go and leaks occur and you are left with a non working model. Use the camera and hope for the best.

We just bought the Vivitar 6.0MP All Weather/Underwater Digital Camera- 6200W from amazon. It was $119. It got really good reviews on amazon. It seems to be a good camera for someone who wants to take a few pictures underwater, or at the beach, etc. From what I understand, it is definately not for someone who wants to take professional quality pictures.

DW and I used 2 disposable underwater cameras and then got the film developed at the local walgreens, 1 copy of prints and 1 digital photo cd for each camera came to ~18 dollars. Depending on how many underwater pics you want to take (and if you already have a decent regular digiCam) it may not be worth getting a special underwater camera.

Here's some links two 3 samples pics if you want to see some of the better shots I got, though the hosted images were resized to about half, original files were around 1.5 mb a piece (1800x1215)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/joninnyc/Shares/4-29-2007-10.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/joninnyc/Shares/4-29-2007-15.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/joninnyc/Shares/4-29-2007-12.jpg

I have an Olympus 790sw that I purchased for a trip to South America. I am very pleased with the performance of the camera. I got the camera with rain in mind, I didn't want to miss pictures of Machu Picchu if it was raining the day we were there. I did use it while snorkeling in the Galapagos and got some, maybe one out of ten, very good images. Be aware that is only rated waterproof to three meters, it is for snorkeling not diving.

Overall I really liked the features of the camera. Pictures taken on land compare very well to other "point & shoot" digitals that I've used. I don't hesitate to recommend it. Just to be able to take pictures in the rain is reason enough for me to own it. There is now a 850sw but I don't know how it is different from the 790sw.

Just got back from the Mariner in March and our daughter purchased at the pier in the shops in St. Thomas, if you're walking from the ship, the righthand side, an Olympus. It was 299 the same price as in Canada but no tax plus it included tripod, case, two memory cards and a charger.

Thanks for the quick answers. I have used disposables in the past and my normal camera is a Cannon which I am very pleased with but I was thinking I might get better underwater pics with a good camera and be able to use for both land and water.

I have Olympus. Have used the waterproof cases in the past and while worked very well I found them bulky to carry around and frankly expensive to purchase. Upgraded to the Olympus 770 and used on 2 cruises with woonderful result. Pocket sized yet good to a depth of 30 feet which since we only snorkel is fine for us, On our last cruise however we failed to rinse the camera after taking it into the salt water and the lense cover stuck open, I am sure it is fixable but out af warranty and the repair cost did not make sense. I have upgraded to the 1030 (about $350 if you shop around) and really like this camera, even better then the 770. The 1030 is much eaiser to use then previous models and good to a depth of 30 feet, however remember to rinse the camera in fresh water after using in salt water (one you get back on the boat is fine).

Be careful when looking at waterproof camers as many are only good to a depth of 10 feet, my research indicated that many people were not happy with these saying they leaked, my guess was they pushed the 10 foot mark as I never experienced this problem with the 770, was always water tight.

I have replaced

I have an Olympus Stylus 770SW and I love it. The catch is that you are supposed to send the camera in for "waterproofing" maintenance once a year, which costs around $160 (last I checked).

The Olympus menu organization can be a little confusing or hard to get used to if you've never used that brand before, but this one is very similar to their other cameras in the Stylus line.

You can't see the LCD screen underwater at all, so just point and keep shooting! You're bound to get some good shots!!

There are some underwater pictures in my album:

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc310/ryffian/Cruise%202008/?albumview=slideshow

I have Olympus. Have used the waterproof cases in the past and while worked very well I found them bulky to carry around and frankly expensive to purchase. Upgraded to the Olympus 770 and used on 2 cruises with woonderful result. Pocket sized yet good to a depth of 30 feet which since we only snorkel is fine for us, On our last cruise however we failed to rinse the camera after taking it into the salt water and the lense cover stuck open, I am sure it is fixable but out af warranty and the repair cost did not make sense. I have upgraded to the 1030 (about $350 if you shop around) and really like this camera, even better then the 770. The 1030 is much eaiser to use then previous models and good to a depth of 30 feet, however remember to rinse the camera in fresh water after using in salt water (one you get back on the boat is fine).

Be careful when looking at waterproof camers as many are only good to a depth of 10 feet, my research indicated that many people were not happy with these saying they leaked, my guess was they pushed the 10 foot mark as I never experienced this problem with the 770, was always water tight.

I have replaced

Thanks for the review - I just bought the 1030 I will have a review with pics from the islands in a couple of weeks.

I have an Olympus Stylus 770SW and I love it. The catch is that you are supposed to send the camera in for "waterproofing" maintenance once a year, which costs around $160 (last I checked).

The Olympus menu organization can be a little confusing or hard to get used to if you've never used that brand before, but this one is very similar to their other cameras in the Stylus line.

You can't see the LCD screen underwater at all, so just point and keep shooting! You're bound to get some good shots!!

There are some underwater pictures in my album:

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc310/ryffian/Cruise%202008/?albumview=slideshow

Ryffian - Thanks for the link to your photos. Were the topside pictures (Uxmal, etc) shot with your 770SW as well?

I too own a Canon with the UW case & am very pleased. Although I only snorkel, it has proven to be very easy to use & has an underwater setting to correct the colour.

I have a friend who has a simular camera & does scuba & is also very happy.

I hope this helps.

Ryffian - Thanks for the link to your photos. Were the topside pictures (Uxmal, etc) shot with your 770SW as well?

Hello, and you're welcome. The beach photos were with the 770, but most of the topside photos were taken with my Canon 20D SLR.

I'd agree with some of the others... with a Canon camera, look to find a housing for it and just have it do double duty. All the shots on our site (in my signature) are taken with a Canon A620 and a Canon housing. Good luck!

Hi I jusr bought a cannon Power Shot SD750. I do not do much in terms of underwater photos, but I want to take pictures while on the cruise and in the water. I have seen 2 types of enclosures for the cannon. Which one is better? There is a huge price difference. Please any feedback is great!!

41AMOHFnU3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

51-iDh9a7EL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Hi I jusr bought a cannon Power Shot SD750. I do not do much in terms of underwater photos, but I want to take pictures while on the cruise and in the water. I have seen 2 types of enclosures for the cannon. Which one is better? There is a huge price difference. Please any feedback is great!!

41AMOHFnU3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

51-iDh9a7EL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The first one is cheaper - We had one and it fogged up and leaked after I opened it up to get the fog out....The second is going to cost you around $200...Its that worth it to you for one trip? If you aren't going to take a lot of under water pics get a disposable one for 12 to 15 bucks.

I just purchased the Intova IC-500 5.0MP Digital Camera with Underwater Housing, 4x Digital Zoom & 2.5" LCD, and has a 130' Depth Rating for my FI. This is a wedding gift for him, so we haven't used it yet, but plan to on our May 26th cruise. I purposely bought this one for 1. the price and 2. because of the depth rating. FI scuba dives and last time brought a disposable, which luckily, didn't impode on him. I did try to find an underwater housing for his his Fuji S700 camera, but they don't make them. I will post a review on this camera once we are back from the cruise.

I just purchased the Intova IC-500 5.0MP Digital Camera with Underwater Housing, 4x Digital Zoom & 2.5" LCD, and has a 130' Depth Rating for my FI. This is a wedding gift for him, so we haven't used it yet, but plan to on our May 26th cruise. I purposely bought this one for 1. the price and 2. because of the depth rating. FI scuba dives and last time brought a disposable, which luckily, didn't impode on him. I did try to find an underwater housing for his his Fuji S700 camera, but they don't make them. I will post a review on this camera once we are back from the cruise.

Jag27,

I've never heard of a disposable imploding. The ones designed for snorkelers (good to 15 feet) might leak if you took them REALLY deep. More often what happens is the spring for the buttons is too weak. You push the button and it does not pop out.

I was talking to one guy. He had a disposable good to 30 feet. It floated. He tied a string to it. He go to 50 feet. Take a picture. Let the camera float up to 20 feet. The button would pop out. He'd pull it back down with the string. Take another picture. etc.

We just bought this camera too for the same reasons you did. Please let me know how the pictures turn out. I took some just playing with the camera and they seemed decent but I haven't put them on my computer yet. We just recently bought a smaller Canon camera to use because I have a SLR Nikon digital and sometimes its not convenient to use although I love that camera. But the Canon didn't have an underwater housing.

Jag27,

I've never heard of a disposable imploding. The ones designed for snorkelers (good to 15 feet) might leak if you took them REALLY deep. More often what happens is the spring for the buttons is too weak. You push the button and it does not pop out.

I was talking to one guy. He had a disposable good to 30 feet. It floated. He tied a string to it. He go to 50 feet. Take a picture. Let the camera float up to 20 feet. The button would pop out. He'd pull it back down with the string. Take another picture. etc.

FI took the disposable down to 100 feet and he said that he couldn't take pictures and the plastic was bending in - like it was going to implode. Yeah, I don't think it would implode at 30 feet, but probably at 100 feet. Though we know its not recommend for very that kind of depth, but he took it anyways.

Archived