Waterproof digital camera question

cruisnfool

Unless it's a really, really clear day and good vis the internal flash with/or without the diffuser is pretty much worthless. The flash is too close to the lense causing major backscatter (those white blobs all over the picture). If you don't have a strobe you're better off going without the flash (with underwater setting or manual white balance) and adjusting in photo software to minimize the blue (this from years of experience before I broke down and bought a strobe, what a different).

Randall

DOn't want to invest the money on the strobe yet. I am a novice diver and I don't want to be distracted by additional equipment.

Also would rather invest the money and start getting a reg, BC, etc. first. Diving really sucks the money out of you!

What strobe did you get?

I just got an Inon Z240 to use with my Olympus C5050. I'm taking it with me to Fiji next month.:D

Hi,

I have a CHEAP Epoque strobe but I have to say, with the fiber optic cable it triggers every time and works well. :)

Randall

P.S. I won't even talk about the jealousy factor about Fiji! Lucky guy!

Hi,

I have a CHEAP Epoque strobe but I have to say, with the fiber optic cable it triggers every time and works well. :)

Randall

P.S. I won't even talk about the jealousy factor about Fiji! Lucky guy!

I should have given more detail about the Fiji trip. Start with 3 days at http://www.wananavu.com/ then a 7 day trip on http://www.naia.com.fj/ for some eat, sleep, dive cruising.

I purchased the Sealife DC600 - 6.1 megapixels, 2.5 screen, fast shutter response, sea mode, underwater ti 200ft. I have only used it so far for snorkelling. Plan to take diving lessons this winter. It has the option on adding on a stobe etc.

Haven't had any problems with leaks. I think the biggest issued with leaks are the user. You MUST keep the o-ring clean. Very happy with the pictures to date.

Check out your local Scuba shop.

Totally correct.

Yep, no matter how tired I am, no matter how rushed I am, the o-ring gets serviced every dive. 100 dives doing photography and not a single mini-drop in the enclosure. :D

Randall

P.S. make sure you order a spare. Since they typically have to be stretched off the channel, nothing worst than to have your o-ring break before that once-in-a-lifetime dive.

We bought the Vivitar 6.0 noted above on Amazon for $119 as well and have been using it snorkeling on the reefs here in Hawaii. It is very easy to use, although the screen is a little hard see underwater if you are a a bit long in the tooth and use reading glasses. However, if you point it in the right direction and push the button, the camera does all the heavy lifting for you. The great thing about being digital is that even if only one in ten is good, it's ok! You just click away, and only save the keepers. I'd recommend the Vivitar if this is what you're looking for.

Thanks for the quick answers. I have used disposables in the past and my normal camera is a Cannon which I am very pleased with but I was thinking I might get better underwater pics with a good camera and be able to use for both land and water.

This will be my first cruise and am going to Baja which includes going to Catalina and there is a scuba diving shore excursions that I was thinking of doing and was thinking of getting a disposable underwater camera but have no clue which one to get or what I should look for, so any help would be great! I do have a HP photosmart digital camera but unsure if there was something I could get to be able to use this one... I am really a newby so any suggestions would be great!

Cindy

This will be my first cruise and am going to Baja which includes going to Catalina and there is a scuba diving shore excursions that I was thinking of doing and was thinking of getting a disposable underwater camera but have no clue which one to get or what I should look for, so any help would be great! I do have a HP photosmart digital camera but unsure if there was something I could get to be able to use this one... I am really a newby so any suggestions would be great!

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

You didn't post what model of camera you have but I did a search and there is an underwater enclosure for the HP Q6218A Photosmart camera that looks like it costs around $80. Disposables don't work as well as enclosures because, first they're usually rated to shallow for diving. Plus each time you want to dive you have to add recurring costs of purchasing them, digital cameras let you see if you got a good picture while you're taking it instead of a week after your return, digitals allow for a lot more pictures to be taken (depending on the card you have in your camera) and the pictures are typically better quality. If you can find an enclosure for your camera, it will probably be worth the extra up front cost.

Randall

P.S. make sure you're comfortable enough with your bouyancy and skill levels before adding on the extra burden of a camera. :)

Hi Cindy,

You didn't post what model of camera you have but I did a search and there is an underwater enclosure for the HP Q6218A Photosmart camera that looks like it costs around $80. Disposables don't work as well as enclosures because, first they're usually rated to shallow for diving. Plus each time you want to dive you have to add recurring costs of purchasing them, digital cameras let you see if you got a good picture while you're taking it instead of a week after your return, digitals allow for a lot more pictures to be taken (depending on the card you have in your camera) and the pictures are typically better quality. If you can find an enclosure for your camera, it will probably be worth the extra up front cost.

Randall

P.S. make sure you're comfortable enough with your bouyancy and skill levels before adding on the extra burden of a camera. :)

Randall, thanks for your response. I have a HP Photosmart M305 but have been looking at a Vinitar (I may have the spelling wrong) which Walmart has for about $100. I have never dived or even snorkled (if that is a word) but am really jazzed about trying it but I have no idea at all about taking under water pictures. Since this is a dive for inexperience people, I would hope it is going to be real mild.

Cindy

Hi I jusr bought a cannon Power Shot SD750. I do not do much in terms of underwater photos, but I want to take pictures while on the cruise and in the water. I have seen 2 types of enclosures for the cannon. Which one is better? There is a huge price difference. Please any feedback is great!!

41AMOHFnU3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

51-iDh9a7EL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Ok So I have thought about this and from some other reviews, I have decided to buy the Vivitar 6200W underwater cam. I don't think I want to take the chance of ruining my brand new Canon SD750. Does anyone have pics taken with the Vivitar. I got mine for under $100 at walmart and am waiting for it to arrive.

Thanks all!!!

• 2 weeks later...

rene194215: I have a Canon SD800 and bought the enclosure (yes $$$). It is a good underwater point and shoot digital camera and takes excellent pictures even without a strobe. I have used it down to 130 feet and never had a leak.

Hi I jusr bought a cannon Power Shot SD750. I do not do much in terms of underwater photos, but I want to take pictures while on the cruise and in the water. I have seen 2 types of enclosures for the cannon. Which one is better? There is a huge price difference. Please any feedback is great!!

41AMOHFnU3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Hi there!

I have this exact underwater pouch for my little Pentx Optio S7 and couldn't have been happier with it! I took it every time I went snorkelling on my last cruise and even on my jet boat adventure! Never got one drop of water on my camera and got some brilliant shots!! :D

DW and I used 2 disposable underwater cameras and then got the film developed at the local walgreens, 1 copy of prints and 1 digital photo cd for each camera came to ~18 dollars. Depending on how many underwater pics you want to take (and if you already have a decent regular digiCam) it may not be worth getting a special underwater camera.

Here's some links two 3 samples pics if you want to see some of the better shots I got, though the hosted images were resized to about half, original files were around 1.5 mb a piece (1800x1215)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/joninnyc/Shares/4-29-2007-10.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/joninnyc/Shares/4-29-2007-15.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/joninnyc/Shares/4-29-2007-12.jpg

JB, like the pictures - what brand and model of disposable camera did you use?

Last time I used Fuji, but there was an annoying green cast in most shots. For the few times I need a camera for snorkeling a GOOD disposable will fit the bill.

Thank you in advance for any information and to anyone with suggestions on best disposables.

Archived